Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I know in the past when Apple took Podcasts out of the music app and into the Podcasts app that it upset some people. I wasn't one of them. I like Podcasts and I like music...but I'm fine with them being separate. In fact, that's what I WANT to happen. Since moving to iOS 7 and now to the 5S as well, I go to the Songs tab in my Music app and touch Shuffle so I can shuffle through all of my songs. However, while playing with that method I will have a Podcast come up playing. I don't want this.

Is there a way to keep this from happening? In my searches, the only thing I can find is people who *want* that to happen and not folks like me who want the opposite.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I know in the past when Apple took Podcasts out of the music app and into the Podcasts app that it upset some people. I wasn't one of them. I like Podcasts and I like music...but I'm fine with them being separate. In fact, that's what I WANT to happen. Since moving to iOS 7 and now to the 5S as well, I go to the Songs tab in my Music app and touch Shuffle so I can shuffle through all of my songs. However, while playing with that method I will have a Podcast come up playing. I don't want this.

Is there a way to keep this from happening? In my searches, the only thing I can find is people who *want* that to happen and not folks like me who want the opposite.

I think the Apple podcast app works fine, I have many subscriptions that auto download.

I just don't get why it is so badly rated in the store

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I think the Apple podcast app works fine, I have many subscriptions that auto download.

If you're only using podcasts on your iDevice, it works okay. But if you try to sync them with iTunes, then that is when you run into problems. The iTunes syncing is why I moved to Downcast.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010

If you're only using podcasts on your iDevice, it works okay. But if you try to sync them with iTunes, then that is when you run into problems. The iTunes syncing is why I moved to Downcast.

This isn't related to my problem or anything, but I've run into problems with the Podcasts app using my data when I'm on wifi when I am subscribed to any podcasts on iOS 6 on my 4S. I got a warning that I had gone through 75% of my data allotment, so I started using DataMan to keep track of data usage and where it was coming from. Every morning around 4 or 5 AM, the Podcasts app was sucking down all kinds of data (like upwards of 200MB a morning)...and that's while I am on wifi at home, so no reason it should be using data at all. I unsubscribed from the 3 podcasts I was following immediately and never had a problem since then. Now I just flip the subscribe switch when I'm ready to download new episodes at home. I have not tried it again since upgrading to iOS 7 or since I got the 5S.

Now...anybody know how to keep the podcasts from playing when I tell the Music app to shuffle all songs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.