Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I thought everything was resolved after the last update (I updated on release day), but starting today, my battery has started draining quickly. I first thought it was because of the wifi issues I had at a meeting/event I was attending - the LTE was awful and I had trouble getting into the wifi verification page (I had arrived at the event with a 96% full battery and within 30 minutes, drained down to 85%). By lunch, it was at the 50s. I partially charged my phone after lunch, at around 2 or 3 (to the higher 80s), but three hours later, it's at 70%. I have not been receiving THAT many emails or Tweets/other social media notifications. On a typical day, my battery drains down to the low 90s/high 80s around lunch and down to 40% by dinner. When it gets plugged in again at night, it's at 20% or slightly below.

Has anyone else experienced this or should I give it another day or so?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
There are many threads about the battery life drop when updating to iOS 7.

First, go to Settings - General - Reset All Settings. It's a pain because you then have to reconfigure your settings as you would like them, and autocorrect is reset too. Yay updating fun....

I had terrible battery life and lag until I did this. There's all kinds of other tips on basically disabling every cool new feature (parallax etc etc).

Good luck.

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I updated to iOS7 the day it came out and disabled some of the notifications that caused battery issues. This is a problem that started TODAY, after I updated to iOS 7.0.2.

Volcano22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Manchester
I updated to iOS7 the day it came out and disabled some of the notifications that caused battery issues. This is a problem that started TODAY, after I updated to iOS 7.0.2.

I agree. I was doing ok with battery on the iPhone 5 (well was an hour or so down on usage compared to iOS 6) until 7.0.2. Since the update to 7.0.2 the battery calibration is off and drains wildly fast. I've reset settings and restored as new, still no difference. Drains very fast and the percentage seems off. Goes from 100-80% very fast with light wifi browsing use and while on airplane mode. I'm sure 7.0.2 has a bug somewhere :/

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I agree. I was doing ok with battery on the iPhone 5 (well was an hour or so down on usage compared to iOS 6) until 7.0.2. Since the update to 7.0.2 the battery calibration is off and drains wildly fast. I've reset settings and restored as new, still no difference. Drains very fast and the percentage seems off. Goes from 100-80% very fast with light wifi browsing use and while on airplane mode. I'm sure 7.0.2 has a bug somewhere :/

Question: Did this happen immediately after you downloaded 7.0.2 or a few days after the fact?

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Honestly, I noticed the exact same thing today, and I updated to 7.0.2 on my 5s just a few days ago.....

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
Mine has been so much better since the release of the GM. It's been lasting a whole day and a half, which is way better then the last beta. And I use my phone a lot. :)

I did notice that once the update was complete, the auto updating for apps was turned off not sure why. My husbands was still on, and his battery was draining quickly so I had him turn it off and now his battery is lasting longer now too.

Last edited:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I thought everything was resolved after the last update (I updated on release day), but starting today, my battery has started draining quickly. I first thought it was because of the wifi issues I had at a meeting/event I was attending - the LTE was awful and I had trouble getting into the wifi verification page (I had arrived at the event with a 96% full battery and within 30 minutes, drained down to 85%). By lunch, it was at the 50s. I partially charged my phone after lunch, at around 2 or 3 (to the higher 80s), but three hours later, it's at 70%. I have not been receiving THAT many emails or Tweets/other social media notifications. On a typical day, my battery drains down to the low 90s/high 80s around lunch and down to 40% by dinner. When it gets plugged in again at night, it's at 20% or slightly below.

Has anyone else experienced this or should I give it another day or so?

Sounds like the old exchange bug. Either close all apps and hard reboot or Reset network settings (I would do that before reset all settings as its less to have to go back through) Of course you will have to re add all wifi networks you had. Or delete the email account you were having the calendar issue with add it back. Certainly the reset all settings is typically a great fix too but a little more effort to go back through all settings to get like you want.

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Sounds like the old exchange bug. Either close all apps and hard reboot or Reset network settings (I would do that before reset all settings as its less to have to go back through) Of course you will have to re add all wifi networks you had. Or delete the email account you were having the calendar issue with add it back. Certainly the reset all settings is typically a great fix too but a little more effort to go back through all settings to get like you want.

I'm not having a calendar issue - just a battery draining problem that started yesterday. Not sure if it has to do with recently updated apps.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I'm not having a calendar issue - just a battery draining problem that started yesterday. Not sure if it has to do with recently updated apps.

I understand. Exchange has to do with your email acct possibly hanging creating the battery drain. Been a known issue since iOS 5 and was addressed several times. However it still can happen especially if there was a meeting request or whatever such as you mentioned that gets hosed up. So perhaps you DID have a calendar issue that caused this. Did you try any of the items mentioned?

Last edited:

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I understand. Exchange has to do with your email acct possibly hanging creating the battery drain. Been a known issue since iOS 5 and was addressed several times. However it still can happen especially if there was a meeting request or whatever such as you mentioned that gets hosed up.

I actually don't use Exchange. The emails are POP3. I was at an event where the wifi and LTE connections were crappy (at least for my devices - iPad/iPhone) and that's when all the issues began.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.