Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewdread

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm a videographer, and have been using the facility in disk utility to make dmg backups of my media cards. It's proved to be a neat and tidy way of doing things, and is my equivalent to storing videotapes.

However, I no longer can make them.

My technique has been to:

1. select the memory card in disk utility
2. press new image
3. browse to destination for the dmg/hit save
4. sit back and wait for the process to complete.

this has been working for me in Snow Leopard, but not in mountain lion. I can't identify any other variables that have changed except the OS upgrade.

Firstly 'Authopen' prompts me for username/password. After username/password it starts creating the image, but stops with an error;

"Unable to create "SD-Card.dmg." (Device not configured).

The card is sitting in a media card reader. I tried another card reader that resulted in;
Unable to create "SD-Card.dmg." (Input/output error)

Anyone experienced this, or any ideas on what to try? As the card readers both work insofar as they show the memory cards in the finder etc, could there be a disk-utility-specific problem with them? Or do I need to change my procedure? I can copy the files to the hard drive and make a dmg from a folder, but I'd rather not have to do that.

thanks.

Andrew

Mac OSX 10.8.5, 2.66 GHZ Quad core Intel Xeon Mac Pro, 16GB Ram

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.