Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAir47

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
Last week, I was receiving some messages on iMessage on my iPhone 5 that were coming from people I do not know. It seems the messages were for other telephone numbers I never seen before. I believe the messages were coming from Hawaii and California since I looked up the area codes. Also, the people that were sending them were from a military such as the Marines or the Army. I know they had to be in the military because they were talking about meeting at a certain place on a military base. I deleted the messages since I thought they were spam.

Why did this happen? Is this a glitch from Apple, my carrier Verizon, or what? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again?

It has not happened since but I am just curious as to why this occurred.

Sincerely,
David

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
If text (green) it's your cell provider and if iMessage (blue) it's Apple. You would have to send back a response to see.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
I got a call from a woman yesterday saying she wanted to place an order for a vacuum cleaner. I do not sell vacuum cleaners. Is this a glitch from Apple or AT&T? Why did this happen?

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
I got a call from a woman yesterday saying she wanted to place an order for a vacuum cleaner. I do not sell vacuum cleaners. Is this a glitch from Apple or AT&T? Why did this happen?

Its happening quite a bit on Verizon too.

I refuse to chalk this issue up to people just dialing or entering in the wrong number. It has happened way too frequently to many people I know since upgrading to iOS 7.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Its happening quite a bit on Verizon too.

I refuse to chalk this issue up to people just dialing or entering in the wrong number. It has happened way too frequently to many people I know since upgrading to iOS 7.

Could have nothing to do with iOS 7 and it's just spam. Robo sending out a message that looks legit to see who replies 'oops you sent this to the wrong person, tee hee' thus confirming the number (or email if they went it via iMessages) is legit.

Batches happen from time to time. Someone may have picked now because it's launch and they figure there will be lots of new stupid iPhone users etc that would fall for it and reply

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.