Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hapilabs' HAPIfork first debuted at CES in January and after a successful Kickstarter campaign that raised more than $100,000, the product is ready to be shipped to consumers. The fork, which is designed to monitor eating habits, tracks movement through a capacitive sensor and a vibration motor, beaming information to a smartphone via Bluetooth.

haptifork.jpg
HAPIfork measures each movement from fork to plate, which is recorded as a "fork serving," monitoring how long it takes to finish a meal, the number of fork servings consumed per minute, and the interval between each fork serving. It is designed to alert users when they are eating too fast, an issue that can lead to "poor digestion and poor weight control," according to the Hapilabs website.

The information gathered by the fork is uploaded through Bluetooth or USB to an online dashboard and also works with an app that includes a coaching program to encourage better eating habits.
"HAPIfork is a revolution! It will help millions of people eat more slowly, adopt good eating habits, lose weight and feel great! Additionally, with HAPIfork comes the HAPI.com platform for web and mobile. Our cross-device platform makes the experience of changing bad habits easy and fun. Here we've created a coaching program providing helpful nutrition and fitness tips and motivational social games to help keep people implement their new healthy habits."
Hapilabs is currently shipping forks to its Kickstarter backers and plans to offer the product exclusively in Brookstone stores beginning on October 18. The fork can be pre-ordered for $99 through the Brookstone website and comes in five different colors.

Article Link: Hapilabs' Smart Fork Now Available for Pre-Order, Ships October 18

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
There are many ways to count calories but a $100 isn't a good one. Not to mention the "oops, I put the gadget fork in the dishwasher."

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
There a lot of cool places for technology, but this seems like an odd one.

A Bluetooth toothbrush would make more sense ô3ô

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It seems to me that the worst food most people eat is probably finger foods... Apart from cake and pie I can't think of many foods I eat with a fork that I would really want to worry about my eating habits with...

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
There a lot of cool places for technology, but this seems like an odd one.

A Bluetooth toothbrush would make more sense ô3ô

I hope Philips has this in the works. My Sonicare charges via my computer, but it needs to connect to my iPhone too.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
We went from hunter gatherers to a society that needs this?

They raised $100,000 on Kickstarter?

What the hell?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I'd like to think this is the dumbest thing to ever have come out of Kickstarter. But it probably isn't.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
I'm thinking of a Bluetooth enabled pet rock. When you stroke the rock, the iPhone plays a science fiction type chord. Do you think I could raise money for this with a Kickstarter campaign?

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
AWESOME!

This will be really handy to monitor my normally rapid intake of steak and green beans, as well as reducing my cupcakes-and-Cheetos shoveling skills to healthy levels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.