PDA

View Full Version : I'm Lookin' To Get A Older iBook or PB

SamIchi
Dec 2, 2005, 03:37 PM
My Dad (Highly computer illiterate, Never used a computer in his life) has recently decided he wanted to learn. I thought, that's cool, so he probably needs a computer of his own, that he can travel with (He stays in the city for work). The first thing I thought of was a Mac.

I need some suggestions on what to get him. I was thinkin' something not excessively powerful, just something he can learn to use. I know the current line of Macs and stuff, but the older stuff I don't know much about, I've only been a Mac user for a lil' over a year. I'm probably goin' to check Ebay. Got any suggestions?

840quadra
Dec 2, 2005, 03:55 PM
Assuming you are in the USA

I would recommend a Refurbished ibook G4 from the Apple Store online page. I have bought 2 old G3's on ebay, and both had some slight issues. The white Dual USB G3 ibooks are known for logic board issues, and the older clamshell ibooks are starting to get on the slow side for some applications.

I currently have a Refurbished G5 Dual 2.0, and ibook G4 1.2. Both have been great, and both are also eligible for Applecare if I choose to purchase it.

vga4life
Dec 2, 2005, 04:05 PM
What 840quadra said. Go directly to Apple, buy refurb. (store.apple.com, the "Special Deals" page).

Forget ebay, forget craigslist.

There you'll end up paying $600 for a flaky 600 MHz G3 iBook, when you could get a 1.2 GHz G4 iBook direct from Apple (with full warranty and eligible for AppleCare) for $700.

-vga4life

human657
Dec 2, 2005, 05:13 PM
what vga said. 799 for the g4 refurbs is a great deal and you can applecare it.

aquajet
Dec 2, 2005, 05:35 PM
And very occasionally a first revision iBook G4 will pop up in the refurb store, i.e. an 800mhz 12" G4 for real cheap. Keep your eye out.

SamIchi
Dec 2, 2005, 10:13 PM
Ok guys, thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at the site.

SamIchi
Dec 2, 2005, 10:23 PM
And very occasionally a first revision iBook G4 will pop up in the refurb store, i.e. an 800mhz 12" G4 for real cheap. Keep your eye out.

So the page is updated every so often?

Right now I only see a G4 14" iBook for $1049.

ITASOR
Dec 2, 2005, 10:27 PM
So the page is updated every so often?

Right now I only see a G4 14" iBook for $1049.

Yes it's updated pretty often, maybe 1-2 times a week? Just keep checking back!