Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
getting tired of getting no signal at work with vodafone..those on three how is the signal for you? is it generally good everywhere? thinking of doing the £15 a month sim only deal.

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
getting tired of getting no signal at work with vodafone..those on three how is the signal for you? is it generally good everywhere? thinking of doing the £15 a month sim only deal.

I've just switched contract and now have an S4 on Three. I think the signal is actually quite good. If I never have signal on my O2 contract (iPhone 4S), I always have signal on the S4. Beats O2 in my opinion. Beats Orange/EE too (girlfriends phone).

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
When it's good, it's very good, but I struggle with my 3 signal far more often than I ever did with Vodafone. Living in Scotland probably doesn't help, but it's not like I'm in the Outer Hebrides. You would have thought coverage between Glasgow-Edinburgh would be OK, but experience with O2 and 3 isn't great. Might be going back to Vodafone, although their tarrifs are a bit mean on data.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It will depend on which area you are using it from. I can tell you from experience that "Guildford" and "London E1W" it is useless.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My friend who I work with gets like 4-5 bars in the office and perfect 3G while I get hardly any signal.

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire

I'm on the same deal, and I've had no issues since moving from Vodafone - Pretty much had a decent signal everywhere I've been, with fantastic speeds to boot. I can get near to 17mb/s down the road from my house, and the value of unlimited data & tethering is impossible to beat

Try Three's £18 deal. It's the same as the £15 but a rolling contract - If the signal is no good in your area you can always cancel after a month and switch to another carrier.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Great.

I'm a bit annoyed actually. I've been with O2 for a while. Ordered an iPhone 5s with Three cause their network is better for me (O2 is good but Three is great - much faster), but at the end it said I'd failed the credit check and my order was cancelled.

I then ordered with O2 instead.

Following day, got a text saying my 3 order was out for delivery! I kept the O2 phone, refused to sign for the 3 one and sent it back, demanding a refund.

Not letting them mess me around like that even if they are the better network :p ill just wait for 4G!

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
We can't really give you any useful info unless we turn out to be next door neighbors.

Checking the coverage map is your best bet. Around here they get great service, so does EE and most Networks. However 3 tend to get 3G indoors whereas for me 3G dies as soon as I step indoors on EE.

(Rural Lincolnshire)

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I moved from Virgin to 3 a month ago - the 12 month £15 SIM only contract. So far I've had no problems at all and my download speeds are generally faster. My sister moved from O2 to 3 at the beginning of the year and has had the same experience. Her d/l speeds at home (Uxbridge, Middx) are usually around 24mbps and mine at home (only 2 bars of signal, Whipsnade, Beds) are around 10-14 mbps. About one call in 60 or more I've had a slight echo my end (calling from inside a car in a multi-storey car park) but otherwise all is good.

I would do as someone else suggested, sign up for the 1 month £18 plan and try out the coverage in your area, alternatively try a PAYG SIM for a month (I think it cost £15 for a top up that included unlimited data for a month (no tethering), but I can't remember how many mins and texts you get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.