PDA

View Full Version : Are you in favour of wireless charging?

The Game 161
Oct 4, 2013, 10:17 AM
Those that have phones who does allow wireless charging or will be are you in favour of wireless charging or have it? or do you think it's pointless and would just charge as you do normally?

T5BRICK
Oct 4, 2013, 10:36 AM
It's a useless feature for me.

adder7712
Oct 4, 2013, 10:43 AM
I think simply plugging in a USB cable is sufficiently convenient.

scott craft
Oct 4, 2013, 11:03 AM
I have it on my current phone and I enjoy it. It's not a feature that would keep me from getting a certain phone if I liked the phone, but I really like the convenience.

MacRumorUser
Oct 4, 2013, 11:09 AM
Until I got mine, I would have said its just as easy to plug in the USB.

Having got the wireless charging - it's great. works with my S4 & Nexus 7. Just sit it on the plate, walk away and if anyone rings don't have to worry about unplugging it to assert a call, just pick it up.

They are overpriced for the official versions such as Samsung's wireless charging kit, but given that QI charger and adapters can be bought for $30-35 all in - they are worth it.

sbddude
Oct 4, 2013, 11:57 AM
I added wireless charging to my s4 using the old palm pre touchstone dock. The parts are super cheap. Under $20 for two docks and the charging coil. It is slower than USB but very convenient. I use one at my desk at work and one on my nightstand.

Assault
Oct 4, 2013, 12:09 PM
Until I got mine, I would have said its just as easy to plug in the USB.

Having got the wireless charging - it's great. works with my S4 & Nexus 7. Just sit it on the plate, walk away and if anyone rings don't have to worry about unplugging it to assert a call, just pick it up.

They are overpriced for the official versions such as Samsung's wireless charging kit, but given that QI charger and adapters can be bought for $30-35 all in - they are worth it.

This right here. Until you use wireless charging, you think plugging in is just fine. Once you have wireless charging, having to plug in all the time sucks. All my future phones will have Qi charging. Universal Qi chargers are under $30 these days.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 4, 2013, 12:21 PM
This is one of the features I'm looking forward to most on the nexus 5. It will be very convenient on my desk at the office and on the night stand. It's always sitting on the desk all day anyway. Why not keep it charged? And with the nexus charger it sits at an angle so it can be used. Sounds great to me.

mclld
Oct 4, 2013, 01:33 PM
I bought a used Nexus 4 that came with a "wireless" charger and had a Palm Pre that had one, no use to me. It is more clutter on the desk and It takes one second to hook up my phone to a cable

JackieInCo
Oct 4, 2013, 01:44 PM
When I got my Nexus 4, I read about wireless charging and was excited about it for about a minute and then never thought about it again.

onthecouchagain
Oct 4, 2013, 02:29 PM
Yes. Why not? While the technology develops, there's no reason you can't continue to use the cable to charge. You won't lose the cable until wireless charging and wireless transferring are mature.

So, yes.

If I get a Nexus 5, I'll have that and the N7. Now that my two devices have wireless charging, I may get a charger pad. Drop them down on the pad when I get home -- life becomes a little more convenient.

matttye
Oct 4, 2013, 03:25 PM
Wireless as in charging simply by being in the room would be great.

Wireless as in placing on a charging pad, mildly useful.

F123D
Oct 4, 2013, 03:31 PM
Not having to plug in a cable everyday? Being able to pick up the phone and answer a call or text without the cable getting in the way? Would love it.

Jessica Lares
Oct 4, 2013, 03:46 PM
No, docks are better.

McGiord
Oct 4, 2013, 03:51 PM
The advantage of the cable is that it can be a long cable, as I understand the wireless charging technology that is currently out thee requires you to have the device place on a mat/platform? Useless if you can't use the device comfortably while it is charging.
How fast is it?

I have a 3m lightning cable.

tbayrgs
Oct 4, 2013, 04:21 PM
It's certainly not a necessity but I love the convenience of it. I grabbed a few of the Nokia pads and one of their charging stands while on sale recently and have them scattered throughout the house. I'm only using my Nexus 7 on them now but will take advantage of them further if I pick up a Nexus 5.

Yes, they're not as efficient as wired charging and no, you cannot hold and use your device with them (well, not easily ;)) but it's just much easier to quickly drop your device on a pad and far easier to pick it up if needed quickly, without the risk of damaging the microUSB port.

Not having it won't likely dissuade me from choosing a device but I do enjoy the convenience it provides.

maxwelltech
Oct 4, 2013, 04:34 PM
I would use it if the charger comes free with the purchase. Otherwise, I see no use for it.

Still waiting for a wireless charger that can truly charge wirelessly (over-the-air charging :D)

zbarvian
Oct 4, 2013, 04:59 PM
I think in its current state it's not particularly useful or handy, but it definitely has potential. Hopefully they will standardize the technology and before they make big strides with it.

I'm just afraid to let my phone leave the charger before it's fully charged. I'm really OCD about my charge cycles.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 4, 2013, 05:25 PM
I would only used wireless charging if it's an out the the box feature. Otherwise it would be just a novelty for me.

onthecouchagain
Oct 4, 2013, 08:28 PM
I feel as if this isn't something people would come to appreciate until they've actually done it.

Think about being able to place your phone down without the need to plug it, and pick up your phone to go without the need to unplug it anytime you want. Anytime you're not using it, it's charging on the mat.

Then imagine getting used to that and going back to having to get the end of the chord, plug it in, then set it down; and conversely, pick it up, unplug, then go. And that's the only way to charge. If you came home and just placed it on your desk, it wouldn't be charging.

I think people would suddenly appreciate wireless charging. Just a wild guess.

EDIT: Also imagine all the times when you're charging with the chord, and you get a call or message, and you either have to unplug to answer or reply, or answer and reply whilst tethered to the chord, with it dangling from the phone.

Then imagine having wireless charging and getting a call/message/email then. Just pick up, do your thing, and put it back.

----------

The more I think about it, the more I can't wait for this convenience. It's minor, but after you get used to it, a chord will feel terribly cumbersome, I predict.

tbayrgs
Oct 4, 2013, 09:05 PM
Also imagine all the times when you're charging with the chord, and you get a call or message, and you either have to unplug to answer or reply, or answer and reply whilst tethered to the chord, with it dangling from the phone.

Then imagine having wireless charging and getting a call/message/email then. Just pick up, do your thing, and put it back.

----------

The more I think about it, the more I can't wait for this convenience. It's minor, but after you get used to it, a chord will feel terribly cumbersome, I predict.

This is exactly where I appreciate it the most. Cannot count the number of times I have it plugged in somewhere in the house, have to sprint to catch the call before it goes to voicemail. I also use my phone as my alarm--right now my HTC One sits in a dock so grabbing the phone is a two handed operation. Just being able to pick it up will be so nice.

Again, I understand plugging in or unplugging a device in isn't that difficult but once you've used wireless charging, you quickly come to appreciate it.

Bear
Oct 4, 2013, 09:10 PM
Those that have phones who does allow wireless charging or will be are you in favour of wireless charging or have it? or do you think it's pointless and would just charge as you do normally?My question is how much more electricity does it use? Will it affect other electronics that are near it?

It is slower than USB but very convenient.
...Whereas I bought the Apple 12W charger to get faster charging times.

Abazigal
Oct 4, 2013, 10:06 PM
I would appreciate wireless charging if it was some sort of emitter which charges a device from a distance away, without me having to leave it on a mat.

TacticalDesire
Oct 4, 2013, 10:47 PM
Who cares. If it's there it's there. Nobodies forced to use it or like it. Yet.

onthecouchagain
Oct 4, 2013, 10:56 PM
I would appreciate wireless charging if it was some sort of emitter which charges a device from a distance away, without me having to leave it on a mat.

How do you think we'll get there? Wireless charging mat is the first step. No ones forces to use it in the mean time.

It's another method of charging. Choice.

Abazigal
Oct 4, 2013, 10:58 PM
How do you think we'll get there? Wireless charging mat is the first step. No ones forces to use it in the mean time.

It's another method of charging. Choice.

Yeah, and at the moment, it's a choice I don't particularly care about. And I am not saying this because the iphone doesn't support it, but because I don't see how it offers any benefit to my daily routine at all.

Assault
Oct 4, 2013, 11:00 PM
My question is how much more electricity does it use? Will it affect other electronics that are near it?

Whereas I bought the Apple 12W charger to get faster charging times.

Wired charging is faster than wireless, that isn't in dispute. Wireless charging is simply a convenience for those times when a quick charge is not needed. Like when sitting at work or at night next to the bed.

And no wireless chargers don't effect other electronics and if you are worried about a very tiny amount of electricity to charge a phone, then use solar cells and a converter/battery. Free electricity that can be had anywhere.

onthecouchagain
Oct 4, 2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah, and at the moment, it's a choice I don't particularly care about. And I am not saying this because the iphone doesn't support it, but because I don't see how it offers any benefit to my daily routine at all.

Right, I hear ya. Just saying, if that's the technology you ultimately want, why would you not be for the technology today that has the best chance of eventually getting us there?

Know what I'm saying?

----------

So, what's the best / most affordable charging mat, anyway?

Just asking in preparation as a potential, soon-to-be Nexus 5 owner.

Assault
Oct 4, 2013, 11:19 PM
Right, I hear ya. Just saying, if that's the technology you ultimately want, why would you not be for the technology today that has the best chance of eventually getting us there?

Know what I'm saying?

----------

No mat needed. All you need is a single Qi charger, which is less than 30 bucks on Amazon. I now have several types and all work with my Nexi devices.

This is one of the better ones that is big enough for the Nex7, but I find perfect size for the Nexus4 and Note 2.
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Charger-Google-Nexus-Optimus/dp/B00DY50GIE/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp1_fr5tsb1EYDYHY_tt

And here is a pic I just took of it with my Nex4 on it on my nightstand. Pic taken with the Nex7, that's why it is grainy. Just gives you an idea of size.

onthecouchagain
Oct 4, 2013, 11:32 PM
No mat needed. All you need is a single Qi charger, which is less than 30 bucks on Amazon. I now have several types and all work with my Nexi devices.

This is one of the better ones that is big enough for the Nex7, but I find perfect size for the Nexus4 and Note 2.
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Charger-Google-Nexus-Optimus/dp/B00DY50GIE/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp1_fr5tsb1EYDYHY_tt

Nice. I will save this. Thanks.

Vegastouch
Oct 4, 2013, 11:41 PM
Wheres the choice of "it doesnt matter to me"?

Just doesnt and i wouldnt pay over $20 to have a wireless charger. Takes no effort to plug it in and i can still use it while plugged in. If it needs to be charged it has to stay on the matt and i cant pick it up so i see no real benefit for it. Ive used my phone often watching video clips or whatever while plugged in because the battery was low.

onthecouchagain
Oct 5, 2013, 12:01 AM
Wheres the choice of "it doesnt matter to me"?

Just doesnt and i wouldnt pay over $20 to have a wireless charger. Takes no effort to plug it in and i can still use it while plugged in. If it needs to be charged it has to stay on the matt and i cant pick it up so i see no real benefit for it. Ive used my phone often watching video clips or whatever while plugged in because the battery was low.

That's why wireless chargers should be like the Nexus Orb, so that it can sort of be tilted:

http://cdn04.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/google-charging-orb.jpg

Vegastouch
Oct 5, 2013, 12:05 AM
That's why wireless chargers should be like the Nexus Orb, so that it can sort of be tilted:

Image (http://cdn04.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/google-charging-orb.jpg)

Yeah that still wont do it for me. I dont like to use it that way.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 5, 2013, 12:07 AM

Image (http://cdn04.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/google-charging-orb.jpg)

Yep. This is the point I made earlier. I want a wireless charging solution that can still be used at the same time. Like the official nexus orb pictured above.

onthecouchagain
Oct 5, 2013, 12:11 AM
Yeah that still wont do it for me. I dont like to use it that way.

I hear ya.

What would be great is if you could buy certain wireless mats that come with one or two USB ports so that when in need, you can plug in your USB cable for such specific circumstances of desired use whilst charging with cable. And when not needed, unplug cable, put away, and boom, you're back to fancy wireless charging for your more general usage.

Choices. Choices for all! ;)

----------

Yep. This is the point I made earlier. I want a wireless charging solution that can still be used at the same time. Like the official nexus orb pictured above.

Maybe there'll be a Nexus Orb "2" announced at this year's event, too.

:D

Assault
Oct 5, 2013, 12:50 AM
I hear ya.

What would be great is if you could buy certain wireless mats that come with one or two USB ports so that when in need, you can plug in your USB cable for such specific circumstances of desired use whilst charging with cable. And when not needed, unplug cable, put away, and boom, you're back to fancy wireless charging for your more general usage.

Choices. Choices for all! ;)[COLOR="#808080"]

:D

Already exists. Someone mentioned this before. a 6000mA battery housed in a wireless Qi charger. Has an additional micro usb port for normal charging and wireless for the rest of the time. Made by Lugalake, seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/UPGRADED-LuguLake-6000mAh-Qi-Inductive/dp/B00CY4SG10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380952209&sr=8-1&keywords=lugulake

It's on the pricier side though at $60. About the same as the Orb.

Vegastouch
Oct 5, 2013, 01:04 AM
Only $60?
Lol, I think ill just plug mine in.

onthecouchagain
Oct 5, 2013, 01:15 AM
That's part of the beauty of adding features that you don't necessarily have to partake in. Those that want to, can.

I've said before: Subjectively, people lose nothing when a feature that can be turned on/off is added. Objectively, though, the phone/OS gains.

tbayrgs
Oct 5, 2013, 08:02 AM

I picked up a pair of these Nokia plates from AT&T (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/accessory.chargers-nokia-black-wireless-charging-plate-sku6290260.html#fbid=mDrXVAevvRg) for about $20/each a couple of weeks ago and they work great with the Nexus 7.

ReallyBigFeet
Oct 5, 2013, 08:59 AM
Starbucks has been testing wireless charging mats in their cafes, makes the idea more viable when restaurants embed these into table.

However there are still competing standards at play and until iOS chooses one I doubt you'll see widespread adoption in the USA. Businesses seem to cater far more to Apple customers than Android, largely because of perceived (with some evidence to make it real) demographic values.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 5, 2013, 09:08 AM
Already exists. Someone mentioned this before. a 6000mA battery housed in a wireless Qi charger. Has an additional micro usb port for normal charging and wireless for the rest of the time. Made by Lugalake, seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/UPGRADED-LuguLake-6000mAh-Qi-Inductive/dp/B00CY4SG10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380952209&sr=8-1&keywords=lugulake

It's on the pricier side though at $60. About the same as the Orb.

The great thing is that this one is truly wireless. Once it's charged you don't have to be near a plug at all to use it unlike most of the other wireless charging mats.

onthecouchagain
Oct 5, 2013, 11:56 AM
I picked up a pair of these Nokia plates from AT&T (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/accessory.chargers-nokia-black-wireless-charging-plate-sku6290260.html#fbid=mDrXVAevvRg) for about $20/each a couple of weeks ago and they work great with the Nexus 7.

Aren't they kind of small? Does the N7 sort of teeter on it?

----------

Starbucks has been testing wireless charging mats in their cafes, makes the idea more viable when restaurants embed these into table.

However there are still competing standards at play and until iOS chooses one I doubt you'll see widespread adoption in the USA. Businesses seem to cater far more to Apple customers than Android, largely because of perceived (with some evidence to make it real) demographic values.

This is, in part, why Apple's slow game hurts people more than they know.

tbayrgs
Oct 5, 2013, 03:56 PM
Aren't they kind of small? Does the N7 sort of teeter on it?

A little size perspective. The plate isn't huge but it offers a larger surface area than Google's charging orb and is flat across the top. Sure, if you push on any edge it'll wobble a little but it's definitely plenty stable, in either portrait or landscape.

I'll also picked up one of their upright versions. Works fine with the Nexus 7 as well, though only in landscape orientation--charging coil in the tablet must be too high. I'll likely use this one with my Nexus phone.

onthecouchagain
Oct 5, 2013, 04:05 PM
A little size perspective. The plate isn't huge but it offers a larger surface area than Google's charging orb and is flat across the top. Sure, if you push on any edge it'll wobble a little but it's definitely plenty stable, in either portrait or landscape.

That's actually larger than I thought it would be. Very nice. I will save that info, too. Thanks.

I predict there's no reason it wouldn't work with the N5, also...

tbayrgs
Oct 5, 2013, 04:07 PM
That's actually larger than I thought it would be. Very nice. I will save that info, too. Thanks.

I predict there's no reason it wouldn't work with the N5, also...

No reason it wouldn't, both use Qi standard. Worked just fine with the Nexus 4 as well--brought mine into an AT&T shop last winter and tested it.

onthecouchagain
Oct 5, 2013, 04:19 PM
No reason it wouldn't, both use Qi standard. Worked just fine with the Nexus 4 as well--brought mine into an AT&T shop last winter and tested it.

Nice.

spinedoc77
Oct 6, 2013, 12:08 PM
I'm all for it. It's a pita to connect the mini usb power cable, why they wouldn't change this to something like the lightning adapter is beyond me. You have to make sure the mini usb is in the right direction, the lightning adapter it doesn't matter.

It's probably not a big deal to many, but for me when I'm half asleep and in the dark trying to get that mini usb cable in the phone is a pain and I end up being wide awake after fiddling with it. If I could just literally drop my phone onto a pad I'd sleep soundly.

Vegastouch
Oct 6, 2013, 01:02 PM
I'm all for it. It's a pita to connect the mini usb power cable, why they wouldn't change this to something like the lightning adapter is beyond me. You have to make sure the mini usb is in the right direction, the lightning adapter it doesn't matter.

It's probably not a big deal to many, but for me when I'm half asleep and in the dark trying to get that mini usb cable in the phone is a pain and I end up being wide awake after fiddling with it. If I could just literally drop my phone onto a pad I'd sleep soundly.
Such an inconvience :rolleyes:
Ive never had a problem even if im falling asleep with it unplugged but thats me.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 6, 2013, 01:44 PM
I think we can all agree that laying something on a pad is easier and more convenient than grabbing the chord, making sure it's facing the right way, and plugging it in.
Although it is not that hard to do those three steps, it is still harder than laying it on a pad.

Stuntman06
Oct 6, 2013, 10:22 PM
I think simply plugging in a USB cable is sufficiently convenient.

It is for me except for when I mount my phone in my car. What I would like is for the car mount be equipped with wireless charging. That way, once I mount my phone in my car mount, it will automatically start charging. I find it a little inconvenient to mount my phone and then plug the car charger into the phone. The car mount is the only place where I really want wireless charging.

Black Magic
Oct 7, 2013, 06:57 AM
I think wireless charging is a nice feature to have. I enjoyed it back on the Palm Pre and got used to grabbing my phone and leaving without bothering with cables.

mattopotamus
Oct 7, 2013, 07:03 AM
I did not realize how much I enjoyed it until I had one and then tried a phone that did not have wireless charging. It is hard to go back to a cable when you are use to wireless....I think that pretty much applies to a lot of technology (keyboard, mouse, gaming controller).

nathanmiller99
Oct 7, 2013, 07:23 AM
I am not in the favor of wireless charging and i prefer USB charging for my phone.

MacRumorUser
Oct 7, 2013, 07:30 AM
I am not in the favor of wireless charging and i prefer USB charging for my phone.

Why would you be 'not in favor' ?

You still can charge via USB so what difference does it make a device supporting it.

I don't ever use NFC but I would not begrudge devices having / supporting NFC.

technowar
Oct 7, 2013, 07:33 AM
Wireless charging usually takes time to fully charge a device compared to USB cables. But meh, Idc. I'd like to have it on any iDevices soon. Having two options to charge a device is always better than having only one.

JaySoul
Oct 7, 2013, 07:55 AM
I thought wireless syncing would be useless, but I love it now.

Wireless charging will be great once it becomes more of a standard. And it will be very useful for people who don't remember to charge their phone frequently.

spinedoc77
Oct 7, 2013, 10:43 AM
Such an inconvience :rolleyes:
Ive never had a problem even if im falling asleep with it unplugged but thats me.

It is a pita, trying to line up the connector in the dark, half asleep, making sure it's right side up. I use an Android phone currently, but IMO the lightning cable is much easier to plug in blindly. "but that's me". :rolleyes:

jrswizzle
Oct 7, 2013, 10:56 AM
I'm all for REAL wireless charging.....

What's peddled today as wireless isn't actually wireless, so for the purposes of this poll I would vote no.

The Game 161
Oct 7, 2013, 11:54 AM
Wireless charging back cover

The Game 161
Oct 7, 2013, 11:55 AM
Charging pad note 3

Liquorpuki
Oct 7, 2013, 11:58 AM
In favor, esp the Qi standard

Only thing is data transfer is not quite there yet

ToothTooth
Oct 7, 2013, 12:05 PM
From Wikipedia:

Disadvantages of inductive charging:

Lower efficiency, waste heat - The main disadvantages of inductive charging are its lower efficiency and increased resistive heating in comparison to direct contact. Implementations using lower frequencies or older drive technologies charge more slowly and generate heat within most portable electronics.[citation needed]

More costly - Inductive charging also requires drive electronics and coils in both device and charger, increasing the complexity and cost of manufacturing.[1][2]

Slower charging - due to the lower efficiency, devices can take longer to charge when supplied power is equal.

Inconvenience - When a mobile device is connected to a cable, it can be freely moved around and operated while charging. In current implementations of inductive charging (such as the Qi standard), the mobile device must be left on a pad, and thus can't be moved around or easily operated while charging.

Incompatibility - Unlike (for example) a standardized MicroUSB charging connector, there are no de facto standards, potentially leaving a consumer, organization or manufacturer with redundant equipment when a standard emerges.(Note: Qi has become a standard adopted by many companies such as Google and Nokia.)

daveathall
Oct 7, 2013, 01:30 PM
From Wikipedia:

Disadvantages of inductive charging:

Lower efficiency, waste heat - The main disadvantages of inductive charging are its lower efficiency and increased resistive heating in comparison to direct contact. Implementations using lower frequencies or older drive technologies charge more slowly and generate heat within most portable electronics.[citation needed]

More costly - Inductive charging also requires drive electronics and coils in both device and charger, increasing the complexity and cost of manufacturing.

Slower charging - due to the lower efficiency, devices can take longer to charge when supplied power is equal.

Inconvenience - When a mobile device is connected to a cable, it can be freely moved around and operated while charging. In current implementations of inductive charging (such as the Qi standard), the mobile device must be left on a pad, and thus can't be moved around or easily operated while charging.

Incompatibility - Unlike (for example) a standardized MicroUSB charging connector, there are no de facto standards, potentially leaving a consumer, organization or manufacturer with redundant equipment when a standard emerges.(Note: Qi has become a standard adopted by many companies such as Google and Nokia.)

It would have been nice to post the advantages from the same wiki page for balance.
From Wikipedia:

Advantages of inductive charging:

Protected connections - no corrosion when the electronics are all enclosed, away from water or oxygen in the atmosphere.

Safer for medical implants - for embedded medical devices, allows recharging/powering through the skin rather than having wires penetrate the skin, which would increase the risk of infection.

Convenience - rather than having to connect a power cable, the device can be placed on or close to a charge plate or stand.

Easier than plugging into a power cable (important for disabled people).

Durability - Without the need to constantly plug and unplug the device, there is significantly less wear and tear on the socket of the device and the attaching cable.

onthecouchagain
Oct 7, 2013, 02:08 PM
I did not realize how much I enjoyed it until I had one and then tried a phone that did not have wireless charging. It is hard to go back to a cable when you are use to wireless....I think that pretty much applies to a lot of technology (keyboard, mouse, gaming controller).

That was my prediction. May not seem like much, but once tried, would be difficult to go back.

I'm really looking forward to this feature in the N5 (and N7).

ToothTooth
Oct 7, 2013, 02:10 PM
It would have been nice to post the advantages from the same wiki page for balance.
From Wikipedia:

Advantages of inductive charging:

Protected connections - no corrosion when the electronics are all enclosed, away from water or oxygen in the atmosphere.

Safer for medical implants - for embedded medical devices, allows recharging/powering through the skin rather than having wires penetrate the skin, which would increase the risk of infection.

Convenience - rather than having to connect a power cable, the device can be placed on or close to a charge plate or stand.

Easier than plugging into a power cable (important for disabled people).

Durability - Without the need to constantly plug and unplug the device, there is significantly less wear and tear on the socket of the device and the attaching cable.

The advantages seem vastly insignificant and redundant compared to the disadvantages.

Because the advantages seem

onthecouchagain
Oct 7, 2013, 02:23 PM

What's peddled today as wireless isn't actually wireless, so for the purposes of this poll I would vote no.

Are you sure you don't mean "I'm all for APPLE wireless charging"? Heh, jk.

But, what is "real" wireless charging? And how will we get there? Won't today's wireless charging technology lead into tomorrow's?

I asked the same question earlier:

Just saying, if that's the technology you ultimately want, why would you not be for the technology today that has the best chance of eventually getting us there?

Also:

Why not? While the technology develops, there's no reason you can't continue to use the cable to charge. You won't lose the cable until wireless charging and wireless transferring are mature.

I don't get your sentiment. Why would you not be for a technology today that costs you virtually nothing (you don't lose USB charging, you aren't forced to use wireless charging, you aren't forced to buy extra accessories...), that has the potential to clearly grow and get better and become more impressive (as technology tends to do over time), have the potential to make our lives easier (again, I think this is something that sounds small, but would be missed if one ever tried it and then was forced to go back to charging with a wire. Think about the aforementioned example above about wireless syncing. Imagine having to plug to sync again.)?

If you don't desire it or wish to use it today, but want it to become "real" in the future, why wouldn't you be for it today? Sounds bizarre to me. How else does technology advance if not for today's understanding of it?

Subjectively, we lose nothing when a feature that can be turned on/off is added. Objectively, the industry and technology gains.

----------

The advantages seem vastly insignificant and redundant compared to the disadvantages.

Right. So you were being imbalanced, just like Daveathall pointed out.

daveathall
Oct 7, 2013, 02:26 PM

To you perhaps, but to others, who knows? My point being that while you were copying and pasting the disadvantages it would have added to your post to have included the advantages, by your selective editing all you did was reveal your bias.

onthecouchagain
Oct 7, 2013, 02:56 PM
Hey guys, remember this thread?! =D

Why is wireless charging considered a selling point?: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1535637

: chuckle :

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 7, 2013, 07:44 PM
Wireless charging back cover

Hmm didn't realize this was available on the note 3. And the note 3 just got rooted.

jrswizzle
Oct 10, 2013, 10:43 AM
Are you sure you don't mean "I'm all for APPLE wireless charging"? Heh, jk.

But, what is "real" wireless charging? And how will we get there? Won't today's wireless charging technology lead into tomorrow's?

I asked the same question earlier:

Also:

I don't get your sentiment. Why would you not be for a technology today that costs you virtually nothing (you don't lose USB charging, you aren't forced to use wireless charging, you aren't forced to buy extra accessories...), that has the potential to clearly grow and get better and become more impressive (as technology tends to do over time), have the potential to make our lives easier (again, I think this is something that sounds small, but would be missed if one ever tried it and then was forced to go back to charging with a wire. Think about the aforementioned example above about wireless syncing. Imagine having to plug to sync again.)?

If you don't desire it or wish to use it today, but want it to become "real" in the future, why wouldn't you be for it today? Sounds bizarre to me. How else does technology advance if not for today's understanding of it?

Subjectively, we lose nothing when a feature that can be turned on/off is added. Objectively, the industry and technology gains.

----------

Right. So you were being imbalanced, just like Daveathall pointed out.

You mistake my not caring for being completely against it. If it was standard, I wouldn't care. That's my point.

And I don't see how the current "wireless" charging will bring about TRUE wireless charging. I'm talking about witricity - essentially charging through a wifi-like signal. It exists now - but obviously isn't consumer ready.

You ever heard the saying "jack of all trades, master of none"? I'm not saying there's a huge issue, but I don't buy the "there's no harm in throwing everything into a phone" bit.....OEMs lose focus and don't make any one feature or experience really great....

Just my opinion.

Technarchy
Oct 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
Pointless to me, and I'm largely indifferent.

Why would I ever want to charge slower?

Also wireless charging is an and/or prospect for device usage.

Cable charging gives me charging and usage...imagine that...

Carlanga
Oct 10, 2013, 12:18 PM
It's a great feature to have in a nightstand, love the charging cradle on my touchpad.

onthecouchagain
Oct 10, 2013, 01:25 PM
You mistake my not caring for being completely against it. If it was standard, I wouldn't care. That's my point.

And I don't see how the current "wireless" charging will bring about TRUE wireless charging. I'm talking about witricity - essentially charging through a wifi-like signal. It exists now - but obviously isn't consumer ready.

You ever heard the saying "jack of all trades, master of none"? I'm not saying there's a huge issue, but I don't buy the "there's no harm in throwing everything into a phone" bit.....OEMs lose focus and don't make any one feature or experience really great....

Just my opinion.

Fair points. Just curious, what are they compromising, per se, by putting in wireless charging? And are they really that bad of a tradeoff, if any?

What are OEMs "losing focus" on because of wireless charging?

"Subjectively, we lose nothing when a feature that can be turned on/off is added. Objectively, the industry and technology gains."

No?

jrswizzle
Oct 10, 2013, 01:57 PM
Fair points. Just curious, what are they compromising, per se, by putting in wireless charging? And are they really that bad of a tradeoff, if any?

What are OEMs "losing focus" on because of wireless charging?

"Subjectively, we lose nothing when a feature that can be turned on/off is added. Objectively, the industry and technology gains."

No?

I don't agree that your last statement is 100% true. Do I have any specific evidence? Not at this time....just don't feel it always holds true.

Just an opinion.

onthecouchagain
Oct 11, 2013, 02:22 PM

I want to re-address this point in particular. I'm no expert, but how are you so sure wireless charging technology has nothing to do with witricity? Wouldn't wireless charging be part of the growing vocabulary and growing knowledge of charging devices in general? How are you so sure improvements in wireless charging won't lead to improvements (or at least a better understanding) in wifi-like charging? They're both different methods, I get that, but how are you so positive they aren't linked at even a conversational level?

And what if wireless charging takes off to allow for witricity to become a serious next step? That is, if witricity is feasible today but expensive, what exactly do you think will get us to the point where it's more affordable or widespread? Maybe people will understand witricity because of widespread and common use of wireless charging. You really can't see beyond your own scopes that wireless charging is, at the very least, related to witricity? And if not, bound quite hand in hand?

This might not be a direct analogy, but 3D television is being regarded as the future, and while HD TV doesn't necessarily relate, it's part of the same world. I wouldn't for a second choose not to support HD TV just because I'm waiting for 3D. If someone can think of a better analogy, I'm all ears, but that's what I came up with off the top of my head.

This is the growth and evolution of technology. No?

jrswizzle
Oct 11, 2013, 02:30 PM
I want to re-address this point in particular. I'm no expert, but how are you so sure wireless charging technology has nothing to do with witricity? Wouldn't wireless charging be part of the growing vocabulary and growing knowledge of charging devices in general? How are you so sure improvements in wireless charging won't lead to improvements (or at least a better understanding) in wifi-like charging? They're both different methods, I get that, but how are you so positive they aren't linked at even a conversational level?

And what if wireless charging takes off to allow for witricity to become a serious next step? That is, if witricity is feasible today but expensive, what exactly do you think will get us to the point where it's more affordable or widespread? Maybe people will understand witricity because of widespread and common use of wireless charging. You really can't see beyond your own scopes that wireless charging is, at the very least, related to witricity? And if not, bound quite hand in hand?

This might not be a direct analogy, but 3D television is being regarded as the future, and while HD TV doesn't necessarily relate, it's part of the same world. I wouldn't for a second choose not to support HD TV just because I'm waiting for 3D. If someone can think of a better analogy, I'm all ears, but that's what I came up with off the top of my head.

This is the growth and evolution of technology. No?

Because I've seen Witricity in action and it just doesn't compare.

Sure they are both "means of charging" a device, but one requires a pad you set your phone down on and hardware within the phone to interact with the pad.

How do you go from the above, to being able to walk into a room and have your phone TRULY charging wirelessly without any contact no matter what device you have?

Maybe I don't understand the current "wireless charging" technology. It just doesn't seem like its very similar - aside from the end goal being your phone is charged. These are two separate ideas about how to do the same task. I don't see one following from the other....except the misleading moniker of current "wireless charging" options being applied to both.

This is my opinion. I'm not saying you have to agree with me.....I'm also not saying I'm against the current options. If OEMs want to put it in their smartphones, fine. I don't care. I just think its silly to call it wireless when that's not the case.

I guess I see the question above as saying "Are you more likely to buy a device with wireless charging versus one without". My answer is, in its current form, wireless charging has no basis on my purchasing decision.

onthecouchagain
Oct 11, 2013, 02:43 PM
Because I've seen Witricity in action and it just doesn't compare.

Sure they are both "means of charging" a device, but one requires a pad you set your phone down on and hardware within the phone to interact with the pad.

How do you go from the above, to being able to walk into a room and have your phone TRULY charging wirelessly without any contact no matter what device you have?

Maybe I don't understand the current "wireless charging" technology. It just doesn't seem like its very similar - aside from the end goal being your phone is charged. These are two separate ideas about how to do the same task. I don't see one following from the other....except the misleading moniker of current "wireless charging" options being applied to both.

This is my opinion. I'm not saying you have to agree with me.....I'm also not saying I'm against the current options. If OEMs want to put it in their smartphones, fine. I don't care. I just think its silly to call it wireless when that's not the case.

I guess I see the question above as saying "Are you more likely to buy a device with wireless charging versus one without". My answer is, in its current form, wireless charging has no basis on my purchasing decision.

Fair enough.

I think a better analogy would be science. ANd I think science and technology evolve and grow similarly. In science, there can be different studies conducted to offer more or less the same goal or same end game (in our case, new ways to charge a device more conveniently) and there can be very very different paths taken to achieve said end game.

I think technology -- and wireless charging and witricity -- is the same. The end game, as you point out, is to charge the device. The paths being taken are different (they're not that different -- one's maybe more advance than the other, I don't know for sure...).

But, in both cases (science and technology), no matter the varying path, the growing vocabulary, vernacular, understanding, and knowledge of those respective ideas is still tied hand in hand.

You're saying you're not against current options, but I thought I read otherwise in this post:

Especially if you've voted 'no', but maybe that's cause the question isn't specific enough.

Assault
Oct 11, 2013, 02:46 PM
Pointless to me, and I'm largely indifferent.

Why would I ever want to charge slower?

Also wireless charging is an and/or prospect for device usage.

Cable charging gives me charging and usage...imagine that...

You must feel the same way about the 64bit processor and the gimmicky/useless fingerprint scanner on the 5S then. I mean why bother with a fingerprint scanner when a password is more secure? Apparently, a cats paw can unlock an iPhone now. And the 64bit processor is literally useless. It provides nothing to the user.

Of course, these bits of tech are laying the foundation for the future. But if everyone thought like you, it's doubtful we would even have cell phones right now. I mean, was there anything wrong with radio transmitters and 'wired' home phones? Seriously, it boggles my mind how people can have any sort of aversions to tech that makes life more convenient AND is optional to use. Although, most people with this sort of thinking tend to be iDevice users. A likely correlation exists.

jrswizzle
Oct 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
You're saying you're not against current options, but I thought I read otherwise in this post:

Especially if you've voted 'no', but maybe that's cause the question isn't specific enough.

That's why I rephrased my understanding of the question.

Current wireless charging options do not sway my purchases at all. Am I AGAINST them being put in phones? No....of course not. I couldn't care less as long as they aren't faulty and don't affect the operation of the device.

Now if it meant a bulkier device, I WOULDN'T want it implemented. But I don't think that's the case.

The Game 161
Oct 11, 2013, 02:53 PM
I don't notice the bulk from the normal note 3 back cover to the charging cover..yeah it's more rounded but not much different in the hand.

jrswizzle
Oct 11, 2013, 02:53 PM
You must feel the same way about the 64bit processor and the gimmicky/useless fingerprint scanner on the 5S then. I mean why bother with a fingerprint scanner when a password is more secure? Apparently, a cats paw can unlock an iPhone now. And the 64bit processor is literally useless. It provides nothing to the user.

Of course, these bits of tech are laying the foundation for the future. But if everyone thought like you, it's doubtful we would even have cell phones right now. I mean, was there anything wrong with radio transmitters and 'wired' home phones? Seriously, it boggles my mind how people can have any sort of aversions to tech that makes life more convenient AND is optional to use. Although, most people with this sort of thinking tend to be iDevice users. A likely correlation exists.

I don't know if you still have me on ignore, but these are completely different.

My phone is actually MORE secure, not because of the fingerprint, but because - now that I can bypass the password with my fingerprint - instead of using a four digit code, I use a full password now.

And there's a difference between a "stepping stone" technology (as Couch puts it) like current wireless charging and a 64-bit processor which will be the norm likely as early as next year and in fact DOES have beneficial properties.

But then again, I just think you're looking for any opportunity to bash Apple so....

laserfox
Oct 11, 2013, 07:13 PM
My Lumia 920 fell in water and I stupidly plugged it in to charge before waiting for it to dry out. Well the charging port over hearted and now it no longer works so I can't charge the phone via Micro USB. However THANK GOODNESS FOR WIRELESS CHARGING :D

My upgrade is in a few months, using the wireless charging pad (one on my desk and the other on my night stand) will do till I get the next Lumia with wireless charging built in :P

gotluck
Oct 11, 2013, 09:17 PM
It sounds great.
I haven't tried it yet due to the price.

Technarchy
Oct 11, 2013, 09:43 PM

This is a poorly thought out parallel.

A: I dont own a 5S so whether or not you find value in iTouch or 64-bit tech is irrelevant to me because it doesn't apply to me.

B: Wireless charging absolutely would impede my ability to use the GS4. Slow charging would give me less battery time on quick charge sessions. That is bad.

C: Using my device while wireless charging makes for an inconsistent charging, which means less charging, which is bad.

And why the hell would I ever want to put myself in a position where charging a device impedes my ability to use it when it is, and is not charging.

About the only time it would be remotely useful is when I am sleeping, in which case it doesn't matter and I can just as easily us a cable.

Wireless charging is a gimmick and pointless, and worst of all it actual impedes usability, not increases it, not even remotely.

Assault
Oct 11, 2013, 11:01 PM
This is a poorly thought out parallel.

A: I dont own a 5S so whether or not you find value in iTouch or 64-bit tech is irrelevant to me because it doesn't apply to me.

B: Wireless charging absolutely would impede my ability to use the GS4. Slow charging would give me less battery time on quick charge sessions. That is bad.

C: Using my device while wireless charging makes for an inconsistent charging, which means less charging, which is bad.

And why the hell would I ever want to put myself in a position where charging a device impedes my ability to use it when it is, and is not charging.

About the only time it would be remotely useful is when I am sleeping, in which case it doesn't matter and I can just as easily us a cable.

Wireless charging is a gimmick and pointless, and worst of all it actual impedes usability, not increases it, not even remotely.
Wireless charging is a gimmick? Sure buddy. Sure. They said the same thing about the horseless carriage. And we shall see how useless wireless charging is to you when you find your USB port breaks. Kind of like a physical home button. A pointless gimmick too, yeah? Especially when capacitive buttons are better, never wear out and are easily configurable. Just saying.
Your line of thought on what is useless seems to be skewed. Thank the gods you aren't in charge of any technology advancements. Thank the gods!!!!

Abazigal
Oct 12, 2013, 07:37 AM
Wireless charging is a gimmick? Sure buddy. Sure. They said the same thing about the horseless carriage. And we shall see how useless wireless charging is to you when you find your USB port breaks. Kind of like a physical home button. A pointless gimmick too, yeah? Especially when capacitive buttons are better, never wear out and are easily configurable. Just saying.
Your line of thought on what is useless seems to be skewed. Thank the gods you aren't in charge of any technology advancements. Thank the gods!!!!

Thanks to Applecare+, if there is ever anything faulty with my iphone, I would simply get it repaired or exchanged.

Sure, it is easy to come up with some esoteric scenario where wireless charging might be useful (like in your case where my phone's charging port spoiled, burglars broke into my house and stole all my lightning cables while miraculously leaving my charging pad behind, and the nearby Apple store just so happened to run out of them).

The thing is, most of the time, I would find it far more convenient to charge my phone using a cable. For instance, I could tether my phone to my laptop or iMac to charge it while supplying my laptop with an internet connection, and transferring files via itunes. All other things equal, I would simply prefer that all these time and resources be spent spearheading some other technology which I feel would be more useful to my situation.

As it stands, we have tech giants all consolidating their positions behind 3 different wireless charging standards, and Apple hasn't even waded into the fray yet.

Nobody knows for certain whether wireless charging will be the next big standard, or simply another gimmick or white elephant. You want to compare it to horseless carriages, I can also liken it to some other technology which simply failed to catch on.

In the end, all we can do is to state our preferences and back them up with opinions. No need for the personal attacks and strawmen arguments.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 12, 2013, 09:40 AM
Are we all maybe forgetting that because you have wireless charging doesn't mean you can't also charge with a chord? If you have wireless charging then use it when convenient (which IMO would be a lot of the time). If it's not convenient at the time then use a chord. Simple. There are no drawbacks to having wireless charging. I'm speaking of when it's built in out of the box. Not any of the add on stuff.

tbayrgs
Oct 12, 2013, 10:34 AM
Are we all maybe forgetting that because you have wireless charging doesn't mean you can't also charge with a chord? If you have wireless charging then use it when convenient (which IMO would be a lot of the time). If it's not convenient at the time then use a chord. Simple. There are no drawbacks to having wireless charging. I'm speaking of when it's built in out of the box. Not any of the add on stuff.

Only downside I can think of is the wireless charging components taking up internal space that could be used for a larger battery or making the device thicker than it needs to be. Otherwise, it's a win-win for everyone.

daveathall
Oct 12, 2013, 10:54 AM
I'm old enough to remember when TV's didn't have a remote, then came a VHS recorder that came with a cable remote that could control the TV channels as well, I remember my dad saying "whats the use in that? Its so easy to stand up and change the channels on the set" Can you imagine a TV now without a remote control? Nor can I.

IMHO, in a couple of years one will be able to walk into a coffee shop and the coffee table is a wireless charging point for our phone or a place in our car or at work has the same function. Trouble is, all the nay sayers are all Apple devotees, and of course, no Apple product has this facility. Once Apple incorporate it, it will become "useful". C'mon Apple, the rest of the world is waiting to move on, hurry up and catch up so the rest of us can benefit.

Those that want to use it, use it, those that don't, unplug the power chord from the mat and charge your phone as normal. How hard is that?

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 12, 2013, 10:57 AM
Only downside I can think of is the wireless charging components taking up internal space that could be used for a larger battery or making the device thicker than it needs to be. Otherwise, it's a win-win for everyone.

Agreed.

----------

I'm old enough to remember when TV's didn't have a remote, then came a VHS recorder that came with a cable remote that could control the TV channels as well, I remember my dad saying "whats the use in that? Its so easy to stand up and change the channels on the set" Can you imagine a TV now without a remote control? Nor can I.

IMHO, in a couple of years one will be able to walk into a coffee shop and the coffee table is a wireless charging point for our phone or a place in our car or at work has the same function. Trouble is, all the nay sayers are all Apple devotees because no Apple product has this facility. Once Apple incorporate it, it will be the become "useful". C'mon Apple, the rest of the world is waiting to move on, hurry up and catch up so the rest of us can benefit.

Those that want to use it, use it, those that don't, unplug the power chord from the mat and charge your phone as normal. How hard is that?

Well said!

ChrisTX
Oct 12, 2013, 07:08 PM
Considering the wireless charging mat has to be plugged in, and it's not always a native feature on Android. It's a pass for me. It's not any more convenient than just plugging the usb connector in.

onthecouchagain
Oct 12, 2013, 07:24 PM
Are we all maybe forgetting that because you have wireless charging doesn't mean you can't also charge with a chord?

I feel that many here wouldn't need to be reminded of this if this was a feature first implemented from a certain fruit company.

Apple. I'm talking about Apple.

onthecouchagain
Oct 15, 2013, 06:54 AM
Want to use your phone while it's still "wirelessly charging"? It's coming...

Samsung working on wireless charging through magnetic resonance, coming later half of 2014: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-working-on-wireless-charging-through-magnetic-resonance-coming-later-half-of-2014_id48294

As I said, the technology is ever developing. And it had to start somewhere.

jrswizzle
Oct 15, 2013, 08:59 AM

Samsung working on wireless charging through magnetic resonance, coming later half of 2014: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-working-on-wireless-charging-through-magnetic-resonance-coming-later-half-of-2014_id48294

I suppose, if you must see current offerings as the start, fine. THIS type of wireless charging is the start of a truly wireless option IMO.

Current offerings are, to me, an extension of wired charging because the phone is still "tethered" to something (whether a cord in the wall, or a pad which the phone has to sit on).

IMO, if this story is true - Samsung's magnetic resonance charging (if implemented properly of course) would be the start of TRUE wireless charging.

And yes, that is VERY exciting.

ReanimationN
Oct 15, 2013, 09:19 PM

Now that's the kind of wireless charging that would actually interest me. The current implementation doesn't interest me in the slightest and certainly wouldn't be a selling point that would sway me to one phone over another.

The Game 161
Oct 16, 2013, 08:21 AM
Still a nice feature to have.. That is useful

onthecouchagain
Oct 18, 2013, 08:12 AM
Future sony phones could charge wirelessly in an hour:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/18/sony-wireless-charging-innovation-promise-2014/?ncid=rss_truncated

I'm telling y'all the technology is developing for even more convenience. It had to start somewhere.

Oohara
Oct 18, 2013, 08:31 AM

IMHO, in a couple of years one will be able to walk into a coffee shop and the coffee table is a wireless charging point for our phone or a place in our car or at work has the same function. Trouble is, all the nay sayers are all Apple devotees, and of course, no Apple product has this facility. Once Apple incorporate it, it will become "useful". C'mon Apple, the rest of the world is waiting to move on, hurry up and catch up so the rest of us can benefit.

Spot on.

onthecouchagain
Oct 18, 2013, 10:01 AM

I missed this post. Very well said. +1.

It's bizarre to have to explain this to people here who you'd think understand how the progression of technology works. Like I said, me thinks it'd be a whole different story if wireless charging came from Apple first.

jrswizzle
Oct 18, 2013, 10:13 AM
I missed this post. Very well said. +1.

It's bizarre to have to explain this to people here who you'd think understand how the progression of technology works. Like I said, me thinks it'd be a whole different story if wireless charging came from Apple first.

Hey Couch - challenge.

Go ONE post without making the statement that "it'd be a different story if a certain company implemented these features"......its extremely irritating to those of us who WOULDN'T act like the drones you make some out to be and only serves to rile up fanboy wars.....it literally adds nothing to the conversation.

You can make your points without ASSUMING what Apple fans would say if Apple implemented wireless charging. The fact is - those of us who are "against" (read "don't see the point in current offerings") aren't doing so because of the OS the device runs.....and frankly, as long as I have the ability to charge via cable (which, we all are aware of), I couldn't care less if the current offerings are in my device or not.

As for Techanarchy's post, he made some good points on how the current wireless charging implementations aren't convenient. We get the whole "stepping stone" argument. That is has to start somewhere. Fine - that doesn't mean what he said isn't true in its own right as well. I'm sure Tech is completely aware he could charge a Nexus device via usb cable as well.

When asked whether or not current wireless charging options are preferable, Tech answers with no and why it isn't. The fact that this is some infant tech or that he can use other options doesn't come into play there.

Now if he were to say "I won't buy a phone that has wireless charging capabilities" - then you can make the arguments you are making. Just seems to me like you guys need to come up with excuses for why "wireless charging" just isn't all that great right now. Take it for what it is.

I don't remember any of you making excuses for Apple Maps.....when it TOO had to start somewhere, there are other options to use and it gets better over time.

See? You aren't the only one who can pull the double standard card....except my instance is FACTUAL and yours is GENERALIZATION and ASSUMPTION.

EDIT: I'll finish by saying, that Magnetic Resonance charging stuff is COOL, and is TRUE wireless charging IMO. Could've easily gone from a wired option to that without the crazy pad stuff (which has been around for a LONG time actually). When I can charge my device without putting it in contact with something (tether it to something), I'll get excited about WIRELESS charging. To me, pad charging is simply an extension of current wired offerings. The BEGINNING is charging when in the small vicinity of a charging station - the end picture is WITRICITY where my phone can constantly be charging ANYWHERE in my house.

onthecouchagain
Oct 18, 2013, 10:19 AM
Hey Couch - challenge.

Go ONE post without making the statement that "it'd be a different story if a certain company implemented these features"......its extremely irritating to those of us who WOULDN'T act like the drones you make some out to be and only serves to rile up fanboy wars.....it literally adds nothing to the conversation.

You can make your points without ASSUMING what Apple fans would say if Apple implemented wireless charging. The fact is - those of us who are "against" (read "don't see the point in current offerings") aren't doing so because of the OS the device runs.....and frankly, as long as I have the ability to charge via cable (which, we all are aware of), I couldn't care less if the current offerings are in my device or not.

As for Techanarchy's post, he made some good points on how the current wireless charging implementations aren't convenient. We get the whole "stepping stone" argument. That is has to start somewhere. Fine - that doesn't mean what he said isn't true in its own right as well. I'm sure Tech is completely aware he could charge a Nexus device via usb cable as well.

When asked whether or not current wireless charging options are preferable, Tech answers with no and why it isn't. The fact that this is some infant tech or that he can use other options doesn't come into play there.

Now if he were to say "I won't buy a phone that has wireless charging capabilities" - then you can make the arguments you are making. Just seems to me like you guys need to come up with excuses for why "wireless charging" just isn't all that great right now. Take it for what it is.

I don't remember any of you making excuses for Apple Maps.....when it TOO had to start somewhere, there are other options to use and it gets better over time.

See? You aren't the only one who can pull the double standard card....except my instance is FACTUAL and yours is GENERALIZATION and ASSUMPTION.

You know, you keep posting your "I'm not that type of Apple fan" post when no one is saying you are.

It really makes one wonder.

jrswizzle
Oct 18, 2013, 10:23 AM
You know, you keep posting your "I'm not that type of Apple fan" post when no one is saying you are.

It really makes one wonder.

Ok? This response has little to NOTHING to do with what I said. You make generalizations about APPLE FANS (no distinction, no "some are like this, but not all") and how they (we) would most CERTAINLY accept wireless charging (or whatever the topic is) if there was an Apple logo on it.

As ONE of the MANY Apple fans on here who WOULDN'T fall into your stereotype, I'll go ahead and point out you're wrong.

That's all. But keep trying - you've convinced yourself, you may be able to talk others into that idiotic fanboy narrative of yours. ;)

I get it - easier to stereotype than admit concessions in an argument. That's done a lot here.

onthecouchagain
Oct 18, 2013, 10:32 AM

Regarding Apple Maps... people weren't unhappy with just the idea that Apple had to start somewhere, people were more upset about them axing Google Maps to do this (it was during a time when Apple was distancing themselves from Google altogether -- new accounts couldn't push to Gmail, they killed the YouTube app, etc.). In other words, the issue was they changed out a perfectly fine and good map app for a poor one. And more specifically, for one that clearly wasn't ready to become the default and stand alone Map app (wasn't it Beta?). That was the main issue. (There were also other little issues too like how it was the big feature of that OS -- an inferior map.)

Your analogy might be more apt if wireless charging caused serious problems (equivalent to steering people off highways and getting people lost) and was the only way to charge (it took months before Google Maps was allowed back in the App Store, and even then, you couldn't set it as your default map).

----------

Ok? This response has little to NOTHING to do with what I said. You make generalizations about APPLE FANS (no distinction, no "some are like this, but not all") and how they (we) would most CERTAINLY accept wireless charging (or whatever the topic is) if there was an Apple logo on it.

As ONE of the MANY Apple fans on here who WOULDN'T fall into your stereotype, I'll go ahead and point out you're wrong.

That's all. But keep trying - you've convinced yourself, you may be able to talk others into that idiotic fanboy narrative of yours. ;)

I get it - easier to stereotype than admit concessions in an argument. That's done a lot here.

The point being, if you're not that type of Apple fan, why worry about my post? It makes people wonder (oh, and I guess some of your post history doesn't help).

Stereotype? The real false narrative is yours, where you think this sort of Apple fan no longer exist (and isn't a continued detriment to people's perception of Apple). Look around.

And you're putting words in my mouth. "Me thinks" doesn't = "most certainly."

Like I said, me thinks it'd be a whole different story if wireless charging came from Apple first.

If there was a meme to sum up my thoughts regarding your "I'm not that type of Apple fan" posts, it'd be:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/you-mad-bro.png

Cause if you're not, I don't see why you keep needing to defend yourself against a post that doesn't even mention you.

jrswizzle
Oct 18, 2013, 10:44 AM
Regarding Apple Maps... people weren't unhappy with just the idea that Apple had to start somewhere, people were more upset about them axing Google Maps to do this (it was during a time when Apple was distancing themselves from Google altogether -- you couldn't push to Gmail, they killed the YouTube app, etc.). In other words, the issue was they changed out a perfectly fine and good map app for a poor one. And more specifically, for one that clearly wasn't ready to become the default and stand alone Map app (wasn't it Beta?). That was the main issue. (There were also other little issues too like how it was the big feature of that OS -- an inferior map.)

Your analogy might be more apt if wireless charging caused serious problems (equivalent to steering people off highways and getting people lost)and was the only way to charge. (it took months before Google Maps was allowed back in the App Store)

Well - if you think about it, the other map options were available. So you'd look at it like this:

If I use wireless charging, I have to pay extra for a charging pad, it charges slower, I can't use the device while its charging and all the consequences of those thing.

I use the standard wired charging, I may have to plug it in, but it'll charge faster, and I can use the device while it charges.

for maps.....

If I use Apple maps - depending on my location, the POIs might be off, I might get wrong directions, but its all default and has better underlying features (vector maps - at the time better than the previous google offering).

I could also use any number of other maps apps, and while they can't be set as default, they offer a better (perhaps) user experience and honestly, the Google Maps app got infinitely better after that.

So Apple didn't AXE anything. Really I see your post as strengthening my argument. It apparently wasn't acceptable for Apple to release a "not ready for primetime" maps app, but it is acceptable for wireless charging that has flaws because its a stepping stone? How is the maps app not also a stepping stone (especially since it NEEDS crowd sourced data to get better).

I'm bringing all of this up for the sake of argument - playing devils advocate somewhat. Truth is this stuff comes out, sometimes when its not ready because it needs public awareness and exposure to get better. I'm completely fine and agree with all of that. And while I somewhat disagree on what ACTUALLY constitutes WIRELESS, I have no issue with it being implemented because, as you all have pointed out, it doesn't mess with the fact I can use usb charging.

But as such, I won't be wasting $50 on a wireless charging orb this time around.

----------

The point being, if you're not that type of Apple fan, why worry about my post? It makes people wonder (oh, and I guess some of your post history doesn't help).

Because I'm not only defending myself but every other Apple fan (who doesn't fall into that stereotype)? You've never defended a group of people from a stereotype you didn't fall into?

Stereotype? The real false narrative is yours, where you think this sort of Apple fan no longer exist (and isn't a continued detriment to people's perception of Apple). Look around.

Yes stereotype - which also means I'm fully aware those people exist (stereotypes DO exist for a reason - the problem is applying them to EVERYONE in that particular group). Why you continually bring that up in the alternatives section is beyond me - where those of us Apple users here are generally also Android users and wouldn't base the decision on whether a feature or implementation was good simply based on the device it ran on.

But if you ARE actually trying to "combat" or argue against those Apple fans who are such a detriment - how about ACTUALLY arguing with facts and logic rather than simply repeating this stereotypical line you love

If there was a meme to sum up my thoughts regarding your "I'm not that type of Apple fan" posts, it'd be:

Image (http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/you-mad-bro.png)

Cause if you're not, I don't see why you keep needing to defend yourself against a post that doesn't even mention you.

Not mad at all. Stereotypes are frustrating - which I am sure you're aware given they tend to be a chosen tactic of yours (and many here) when you have nothing to combat an argument.

onthecouchagain
Oct 18, 2013, 10:50 AM
Well - if you think about it, the other map options were available. So you'd look at it like this:

If I use wireless charging, I have to pay extra for a charging pad, it charges slower, I can't use the device while its charging and all the consequences of those thing.

I use the standard wired charging, I may have to plug it in, but it'll charge faster, and I can use the device while it charges.

for maps.....

If I use Apple maps - depending on my location, the POIs might be off, I might get wrong directions, but its all default and has better underlying features (vector maps - at the time better than the previous google offering).

I could also use any number of other maps apps, and while they can't be set as default, they offer a better (perhaps) user experience and honestly, the Google Maps app got infinitely better after that.

So Apple didn't AXE anything. Really I see your post as strengthening my argument. It apparently wasn't acceptable for Apple to release a "not ready for primetime" maps app, but it is acceptable for wireless charging that has flaws because its a stepping stone? How is the maps app not also a stepping stone (especially since it NEEDS crowd sourced data to get better).

I'm bringing all of this up for the sake of argument - playing devils advocate somewhat. Truth is this stuff comes out, sometimes when its not ready because it needs public awareness and exposure to get better. I'm completely fine and agree with all of that. And while I somewhat disagree on what ACTUALLY constitutes WIRELESS, I have no issue with it being implemented because, as you all have pointed out, it doesn't mess with the fact I can use usb charging.

But as such, I won't be wasting $50 on a wireless charging orb this time around.

----------

Because I'm not only defending myself but every other Apple fan (who doesn't fall into that stereotype)? You've never defended a group of people from a stereotype you didn't fall into?

Yes stereotype - which also means I'm fully aware those people exist (stereotypes DO exist for a reason - the problem is applying them to EVERYONE in that particular group). Why you continually bring that up in the alternatives section is beyond me - where those of us Apple users here are generally also Android users and wouldn't base the decision on whether a feature or implementation was good simply based on the device it ran on.

But if you ARE actually trying to "combat" or argue against those Apple fans who are such a detriment - how about ACTUALLY arguing with facts and logic rather than simply repeating this stereotypical line you love

Not mad at all. Stereotypes are frustrating - which I am sure you're aware given they tend to be a chosen tactic of yours (and many here) when you have nothing to combat an argument.

Because Jrswizzle is the hero Apple deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll stereotype him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Fan.

http://cdn.wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/Gary-Oldman.jpg

Coming to Blu-Ray and DVD in select Apple Stores near you!

jrswizzle
Oct 18, 2013, 10:51 AM
Because Jrswizzle is the hero Apple deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll stereotype him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Fan.

Image (http://cdn.wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/Gary-Oldman.jpg)

Coming to Blu-Ray and DVD in select Apple Stores near you!

lmao.....

Anyways - how about that Nexus 5 release? Soon? :cool:

onthecouchagain
Oct 18, 2013, 10:52 AM
when you have nothing to combat an argument.

Oh, my dear friend, you give us plenty to use.

Hey, remember the Samsung Round thread? If you're saying:

Truth is this stuff comes out, sometimes when its not ready because it needs public awareness and exposure to get better. I'm completely fine and agree with all of that.

Then what was up with that Samsung Round thread. Anyway, toodles.

jrswizzle
Oct 18, 2013, 10:53 AM
Oh, my dear friend, you give us plenty to use.

Hey, remember the Samsung Round thread? If you're saying:

Then what was up with that Samsung Round thread. Anyway, toodles.

You're right - that's completely the same.....except, not.

I'm not getting into it here. Suffice it to say - one feature vs a business model. What do my personal opinions matter to you anyways? I'm just one of those silly Apple fans driving them to bankruptcy with my idiotic mindless praise of everything they do and criticism of anything the competition does.

onthecouchagain
Oct 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
What do my personal opinions matter to you anyways?

It doesn't, per se, not in this particular exchange. Don't forget, you're the one that responded to a post I made that didn't even reference or mention you, raising all your defenses. Like I said, it can be telling.

Abazigal
Oct 18, 2013, 08:21 PM
Is it just me, or are the arguments here are basically revolving around two points.

1) having a crappy, rarely used option is better than no option at all. Never mind the opportunity cost involved.

2) wireless charging in its current incarnation sucks, but we should still support it nonetheless because it may one-day evolve into something that is useful to us.

And they call us sheep.

Sylon
Oct 18, 2013, 09:27 PM
This is all opinion based. If someone likes wireless charging, then go for it. Others might not think so. Either way, the phone gets charged, who cares how. I personally love my Nexus Orb and use it with my Galaxy S4 every night. It's fully charged when I wake up and is propped up nicely when I want to check the time or something. Plus, with the thicker back cover on the GS4, it feels nicer in my hand and protects the rear camera a lot better than the stock back cover. So it's a win-win.

onthecouchagain
Oct 18, 2013, 11:24 PM
Is it just me, or are the arguments here are basically revolving around two points.

1) having a crappy, rarely used option is better than no option at all. Never mind the opportunity cost involved.

2) wireless charging in its current incarnation sucks, but we should still support it nonetheless because it may one-day evolve into something that is useful to us.

And they call us sheep.

1) If I get a Nexus 5, I plan to get a wireless charger. Why would I use it "rarely"? I'd use it every single night, in fact.

2) Highly debatable. I look forward to plopping my device down at night (or whenever! If I'm setting it down on my desk, why not set it on the charging mat?) to let it charge. No need to deal directly with wires, no fuss. Then, when I need it, pick it up and go. No need to detach anything. If I should need to use the phone while it's charging, I can pick it up and do what I need to do, and put it back, too. Unless the phone is about to die, why can't I pick it right back up and use it? Also, if I get something shaped like the Nexus Orb, technically, I can still use it while it's on the charging mat. And if I'm traveling, well, I'll just bring my wall charger, like I would have to anyway if I didn't have a wireless charging mat.

EDIT: And the question of the thread is, "Are you in favor of it?" If you're someone who may not be interested in wireless charging today, but is excited about what it could be in the future, why would you not be in favor of it, even if you don't plan to use it personally? There ought to be no reason you'd be against it -- do you understand that word? Don't forget, you aren't being forced to use wireless charging nor is the ability to charge with a chord vanquished.

Oletros
Oct 21, 2013, 05:02 AM

And they call us sheep.

1) is is not crappy, nor rarely used

2) doesn't suck

Then perhaps is you.

thecurryman
Oct 23, 2013, 07:11 PM
I think it would be really useful. its one of those things you have to use and appreciate before you realize its potential

3bs
Oct 23, 2013, 07:46 PM
Why would anyone be against it as long as there's still a port to charge via cable. I just wish it worked with cases.

watchthisspace
Oct 23, 2013, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't mind wireless charging. I am too lazy to take off my phone charger when I'm in bed.