Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you in favour of wireless charging?

• Yes I have wireless charging or would get kit for wireless charging

Votes: 83 66.9%
  • No I don't use or plan to use it

Votes: 41 33.1%

• Total voters

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Those that have phones who does allow wireless charging or will be are you in favour of wireless charging or have it? or do you think it's pointless and would just charge as you do normally?

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I have it on my current phone and I enjoy it. It's not a feature that would keep me from getting a certain phone if I liked the phone, but I really like the convenience.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Until I got mine, I would have said its just as easy to plug in the USB.

Having got the wireless charging - it's great. works with my S4 & Nexus 7. Just sit it on the plate, walk away and if anyone rings don't have to worry about unplugging it to assert a call, just pick it up.

They are overpriced for the official versions such as Samsung's wireless charging kit, but given that QI charger and adapters can be bought for $30-35 all in - they are worth it.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I added wireless charging to my s4 using the old palm pre touchstone dock. The parts are super cheap. Under $20 for two docks and the charging coil. It is slower than USB but very convenient. I use one at my desk at work and one on my nightstand.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Until I got mine, I would have said its just as easy to plug in the USB.

Having got the wireless charging - it's great. works with my S4 & Nexus 7. Just sit it on the plate, walk away and if anyone rings don't have to worry about unplugging it to assert a call, just pick it up.

They are overpriced for the official versions such as Samsung's wireless charging kit, but given that QI charger and adapters can be bought for $30-35 all in - they are worth it.

This right here. Until you use wireless charging, you think plugging in is just fine. Once you have wireless charging, having to plug in all the time sucks. All my future phones will have Qi charging. Universal Qi chargers are under $30 these days.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
This is one of the features I'm looking forward to most on the nexus 5. It will be very convenient on my desk at the office and on the night stand. It's always sitting on the desk all day anyway. Why not keep it charged? And with the nexus charger it sits at an angle so it can be used. Sounds great to me.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I bought a used Nexus 4 that came with a "wireless" charger and had a Palm Pre that had one, no use to me. It is more clutter on the desk and It takes one second to hook up my phone to a cable

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
When I got my Nexus 4, I read about wireless charging and was excited about it for about a minute and then never thought about it again.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yes. Why not? While the technology develops, there's no reason you can't continue to use the cable to charge. You won't lose the cable until wireless charging and wireless transferring are mature.

So, yes.

If I get a Nexus 5, I'll have that and the N7. Now that my two devices have wireless charging, I may get a charger pad. Drop them down on the pad when I get home -- life becomes a little more convenient.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Not having to plug in a cable everyday? Being able to pick up the phone and answer a call or text without the cable getting in the way? Would love it.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
The advantage of the cable is that it can be a long cable, as I understand the wireless charging technology that is currently out thee requires you to have the device place on a mat/platform? Useless if you can't use the device comfortably while it is charging.
How fast is it?

I have a 3m lightning cable.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It's certainly not a necessity but I love the convenience of it. I grabbed a few of the Nokia pads and one of their charging stands while on sale recently and have them scattered throughout the house. I'm only using my Nexus 7 on them now but will take advantage of them further if I pick up a Nexus 5.

Yes, they're not as efficient as wired charging and no, you cannot hold and use your device with them (well, not easily ;)) but it's just much easier to quickly drop your device on a pad and far easier to pick it up if needed quickly, without the risk of damaging the microUSB port.

Not having it won't likely dissuade me from choosing a device but I do enjoy the convenience it provides.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
I would use it if the charger comes free with the purchase. Otherwise, I see no use for it.

Still waiting for a wireless charger that can truly charge wirelessly (over-the-air charging :D)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I think in its current state it's not particularly useful or handy, but it definitely has potential. Hopefully they will standardize the technology and before they make big strides with it.

I'm just afraid to let my phone leave the charger before it's fully charged. I'm really OCD about my charge cycles.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I would only used wireless charging if it's an out the the box feature. Otherwise it would be just a novelty for me.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I feel as if this isn't something people would come to appreciate until they've actually done it.

Think about being able to place your phone down without the need to plug it, and pick up your phone to go without the need to unplug it anytime you want. Anytime you're not using it, it's charging on the mat.

Then imagine getting used to that and going back to having to get the end of the chord, plug it in, then set it down; and conversely, pick it up, unplug, then go. And that's the only way to charge. If you came home and just placed it on your desk, it wouldn't be charging.

I think people would suddenly appreciate wireless charging. Just a wild guess.

EDIT: Also imagine all the times when you're charging with the chord, and you get a call or message, and you either have to unplug to answer or reply, or answer and reply whilst tethered to the chord, with it dangling from the phone.

Then imagine having wireless charging and getting a call/message/email then. Just pick up, do your thing, and put it back.

----------

The more I think about it, the more I can't wait for this convenience. It's minor, but after you get used to it, a chord will feel terribly cumbersome, I predict.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Also imagine all the times when you're charging with the chord, and you get a call or message, and you either have to unplug to answer or reply, or answer and reply whilst tethered to the chord, with it dangling from the phone.

Then imagine having wireless charging and getting a call/message/email then. Just pick up, do your thing, and put it back.

----------

The more I think about it, the more I can't wait for this convenience. It's minor, but after you get used to it, a chord will feel terribly cumbersome, I predict.

This is exactly where I appreciate it the most. Cannot count the number of times I have it plugged in somewhere in the house, have to sprint to catch the call before it goes to voicemail. I also use my phone as my alarm--right now my HTC One sits in a dock so grabbing the phone is a two handed operation. Just being able to pick it up will be so nice.

Again, I understand plugging in or unplugging a device in isn't that difficult but once you've used wireless charging, you quickly come to appreciate it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Those that have phones who does allow wireless charging or will be are you in favour of wireless charging or have it? or do you think it's pointless and would just charge as you do normally?
My question is how much more electricity does it use? Will it affect other electronics that are near it?

It is slower than USB but very convenient.
Whereas I bought the Apple 12W charger to get faster charging times.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I would appreciate wireless charging if it was some sort of emitter which charges a device from a distance away, without me having to leave it on a mat.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I would appreciate wireless charging if it was some sort of emitter which charges a device from a distance away, without me having to leave it on a mat.

How do you think we'll get there? Wireless charging mat is the first step. No ones forces to use it in the mean time.

It's another method of charging. Choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.