PDA

View Full Version : Why go Windows phone?

eclipse01
Oct 4, 2013, 01:52 PM
just wondering from the few people that have one, why you think it is the way to go?

GoCubsGo
Oct 4, 2013, 01:54 PM
Enjoy the can of worms you're opening. ;)

eclipse01
Oct 4, 2013, 01:57 PM
Enjoy the can of worms you're opening. ;)

Not trying to, just want to know why Windows has (if anything special) vs other OS's

ichii
Oct 5, 2013, 06:37 AM
A can of worms buddy, a can of worms :D :D

Dontazemebro
Oct 5, 2013, 06:43 AM
There's nothing wrong with windows, everyone has different tastes and what you may deem important to you may not be to others.

I still know people who are clinging on to their blackberries even though RIM has gone the way of the dinosaur.

If HTC ever releases a dual boot phone, I would be open to give windows a shot.

Jessica Lares
Oct 5, 2013, 06:59 AM
Mmmm, worms, can I have those with extra sauce please? :D

I went Windows Phone because it was cheap. You can get a crappy Android phone that is barely usable at that price, a used one that has been used a fair bit, or you get get a brand new 520 with the latest Amber update.

I have Nextgen Reader that replaces Press

BetterBookmarks works much better than the built in ones of any browser

Sofa for journaling

Easy Expenses for keeping up with money

Due as my preferred task app

Note+ as my notes app

Songza just released a beautiful native client

SoundHound is free

Tapatalk is free and the WP version is awesome

Freda+ is a great reader

All the camera apps are great, the camera on the 520 is awesome

There's this new Flickr client called Indulged that I really like

Film Closet is great to look up film stuff and pin stuff for later

I enjoy it lots.

oldhifi
Oct 5, 2013, 07:02 AM
sheep

srkmish
Oct 5, 2013, 11:17 AM
#1 reason why i want to try windows phone : Bored of android and ios and want to try something different. Will try it soon. I think people who use their phone as a productivity device will have very hard time switching and find lots of annoyances here, but for me my phones are pleasurable gadgets and all my work is done only on PC in offic :P

ReallyBigFeet
Oct 5, 2013, 11:35 AM
Because you don't know any better......

skratch77
Oct 5, 2013, 11:37 AM
They don't even have instantgram to use with that 41 mp camera.

Or candy crush

chabig
Oct 5, 2013, 11:42 AM
There's nothing wrong with windows...

...except the underlying code, the architectural layers on top of that code, and UI on top of that.

Michael Goff
Oct 5, 2013, 11:44 AM
...except the underlying code, the architectural layers on top of that code, and UI on top of that.

Elaborate.

roadbloc
Oct 5, 2013, 11:49 AM
Fantastic OS in my opinion. The live tiles are great, the OS is solid and smooth even on budget hardware and the number of apps is constantly growing.

One thing I do really like about it is how customisable it is without letting you go so far that you could start to brick or break your phone. A nice mid-ground between iOS (which isn't customisable at all) and Android (which you can do whatever the hell you want with).

Just... what??

Dontazemebro
Oct 5, 2013, 11:51 AM

Elaborate.

Yes, do please

scott craft
Oct 5, 2013, 12:17 PM

Or candy crush

While I primarily use an android phone now instead of my windows phone, Instagram is available via several third party apps, but yes candy crush isn't.

skratch77
Oct 5, 2013, 12:23 PM
While I primarily use an android phone now instead of my windows phone, Instagram is available via several third party apps, but yes candy crush isn't.

Do you have snapchat on there ? Just wondering how many main apps that people use are available

scott craft
Oct 5, 2013, 12:27 PM
Do you have snapchat on there ? Just wondering how many main apps that people use are available

There was a third party snap chat app, but I'm not sure if it's still there. Seems like I read something about Snapchat having issues with their api being used. There is an unofficial vine app.

roadbloc
Oct 5, 2013, 12:27 PM

Snapchat isn't officially on the store. But Swapchat (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/swapchat/b4282c22-8ec4-4f02-9f24-7ce10163c8fc) does the job just as well.

This tends to be the case with the Windows Store. Official apps are lacking (although the main players like FB, YouTube and Twitter are there), but there are tonnes of unofficial ones that do the job just the same.

zbarvian
Oct 5, 2013, 12:30 PM
I think people go WP because it's different. It's not really better than iOS and Android, and you can make an effective argument that's it worse than both of them, but it comes from a different perspective with different concepts about layouts, home screens, notifications, etc.

TacticalDesire
Oct 5, 2013, 12:46 PM
Every normal everyday user I've come across with a windows phone has complained that it doesn't have any of the apps or games that their friends/family use and for the most part they're right. Lack of main, official apps is still the biggest problem with WP and until microsoft can assure developers that they're not half assing things and are serious about the platform, the situation won't get any better. Right now, Windows phone is best in the low end and that's not a bad thing. That's how you grow market share and expand.

Nokia seems to be more serious about WP (HERE apps, camera customizations etc.) than MS at this point. The platform is great and has awesome potential but Microsoft needs to actually put some muscle behind it. I've considered going WP multiple times but just couldn't due to the lack of apps and other issues.

oplix
Oct 5, 2013, 03:00 PM
If you want to try windows phone, upgrade to ios7.

aneftp
Oct 5, 2013, 03:23 PM
I currently own a Nokia Lumia 822 (brought it for cheap for $100 off craigslist). Had previously owned Lumia 920 and HTC 8x and Lumia 900. This is in addition to my usual high end Android phones and all the iphones.

My opinion:

Windows phone OS is a solid operating system. Windows phones tend to be a little cheaper than high end Android of iPhone devices. There are still some annoying things about Windows Phone OS like no true back button on the internet browser. No screen rotation lock which is ridiculous considering it's 2013. Microsoft has worked on the Windows Phone OS project for over 5 years and with their resources these things should have been there.

But I don't see if advancing much unless more developers get on board. And developers won't get on board unless more people get on board. Classic Chicken and Egg situation. No HBO go, No epocrates, No Watch ESPN. No CBS apps. Yes it has Office and XBox but thats not enough.

Google is trying to kill Microsoft in the mobile world. By not allowing Google based apps like youtube, Google is taunting Microsoft and making life miserable. You have to visit the youtube website within the browser. Most consumers don't like it.

But right now Windows phones don't offer any wow factor that convinces someone to switch from Android or iOS.

And brand new smartphone users want something with a more solid base. So they will gravitate towards iOS or Android.

Michael Goff
Oct 5, 2013, 03:25 PM
If you want to try windows phone, upgrade to ios7.

Obviously typed by somebody who has no clue what WP actually provides.

Jessica Lares
Oct 5, 2013, 03:39 PM
Perfectly fine with it not having Instagram. Dumped that garbage years ago. I don't want to be in the company of big named brands on a photo sharing website. They have no desire of getting a story across, they're just trying to sell your their latest product. Not to mention the brats who post 500 million pictures of themselves everyday these days.

And with advertising now about to roll out, it's even more about brands than it is about sharing your life with people.

And honestly, people make such a big deal about there only being third-party clients... How many of you actually USE the official Twitter client and not something like Falcon Pro, Tweetbot, and Twitterrific?

As for Candy Crush Saga... You have got to be kidding me. :rolleyes:

aneftp
Oct 5, 2013, 03:56 PM
Perfectly fine with it not having Instagram. Dumped that garbage years ago. I don't want to be in the company of big named brands on a photo sharing website. They have no desire of getting a story across, they're just trying to sell your their latest product. Not to mention the brats who post 500 million pictures of themselves everyday these days.

And with advertising now about to roll out, it's even more about brands than it is about sharing your life with people.

And honestly, people make such a big deal about there only being third-party clients... How many of you actually USE the official Twitter client and not something like Falcon Pro, Tweetbot, and Twitterrific?

As for Candy Crush Saga... You have got to be kidding me. :rolleyes:

It's all additive. I am missing epocrates for my quick medicine reference that's already on android and iOS for a long time.

Someone may missing cbs, abc, watch espn

Others are missing their financial apps. Surprised still no Amex app

Adds up to a lot of people being turned off. And no official youtube app either. That's google doing it on purpose.

thejadedmonkey
Oct 5, 2013, 03:59 PM
It's a breath of fresh air, UI wise.

TSE
Oct 5, 2013, 06:06 PM
1. Great UI

2. Great Hardware (Nokia)

3. Unique - Not very popular, plus the industrial design of a lot of Windows Phones is unique

4. Nokia's cheapest smartphones are easily better than anything else you can get at that price point

5. Nokia has some unique features on their phones... Glove-usable screens, tops the durability tests on smartphones, the best camera on a phone, wireless charging, etc.

6. Better and longer software support than Android phones.

skratch77
Oct 5, 2013, 10:08 PM
Wait no YouTube app either? I'm guessing my amertrade stock app is not there either.

Do you guys even have PayPal and eBay?

How about shazam or Netflix?

Jessica Lares
Oct 5, 2013, 10:09 PM
Wait no YouTube app either? I'm guessing my amertrade stock app is not there either.

We have both PayPal and eBay.

roadbloc
Oct 6, 2013, 03:02 AM

Obviously typed by somebody who has no clue what WP actually provides.

But to be fair, iOS7 does incorporate a bit of the WP8 look...

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/261753-microsoft-windows-phone-7-mango-multitasking.jpeghttp://images.techhive.com/images/article/2013/06/ios7-multitasking-100041457-medium.png

And there are plenty more similarities. Not wanting to start another endless iOS7 vs something-else argument though. Just saying that the iOS7 simplistic look is certainly a little WP8 inspired.

Wait no YouTube app either?
More YouTube apps to sink a battleship (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/search?q=youtube) although I've heard the official Microsoft one isn't the best.

Michael Goff
Oct 6, 2013, 09:25 AM

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/261753-microsoft-windows-phone-7-mango-multitasking.jpeghttp://images.techhive.com/images/article/2013/06/ios7-multitasking-100041457-medium.png

And there are plenty more similarities. Not wanting to start another endless iOS7 vs something-else argument though. Just saying that the iOS7 simplistic look is certainly a little WP8 inspired.

More YouTube apps to sink a battleship (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/search?q=youtube) although I've heard the official Microsoft one isn't the best.

Well, yeah, why kind of look similar.

Beyond that, though? ;)

roadbloc
Oct 6, 2013, 09:59 AM
Well, yeah, why kind of look similar.

Beyond that, though? ;)

Nothing majorly concrete (http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-7-beta-vs-windows-phone-8-the-striking-similarities-video/) but the resemblance is still certainly there.

Michael Goff
Oct 6, 2013, 10:16 AM
Nothing majorly concrete (http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-7-beta-vs-windows-phone-8-the-striking-similarities-video/) but the resemblance is still certainly there.

I was more saying that WP8 gives me a lot that an iPhone doesn't and can't. :D

roadbloc
Oct 6, 2013, 11:08 AM
I was more saying that WP8 gives me a lot that an iPhone doesn't and can't. :D

That is true. The Start Screen and Live Tiles are a godsend for me. As is the rather awesome integration of social stuff. The ability to link social accounts together makes life a lot simpler. :)

Jessica Lares
Oct 6, 2013, 11:12 AM
I'm also sitting outside in the bright sunlight posting this with no problem. ;)

m98custom1212
Oct 6, 2013, 11:24 AM
Every normal everyday user I've come across with a windows phone has complained that it doesn't have any of the apps or games that their friends/family use and for the most part they're right. Lack of main, official apps is still the biggest problem with WP and until microsoft can assure developers that they're not half assing things and are serious about the platform, the situation won't get any better. Right now, Windows phone is best in the low end and that's not a bad thing. That's how you grow market share and expand.

Nokia seems to be more serious about WP (HERE apps, camera customizations etc.) than MS at this point. The platform is great and has awesome potential but Microsoft needs to actually put some muscle behind it. I've considered going WP multiple times but just couldn't due to the lack of apps and other issues.

You do know Nokia is owned by Microsoft

skratch77
Oct 6, 2013, 12:20 PM
I'm also sitting outside in the bright sunlight posting this with no problem. ;)

Ya but what does that have to do with windows phone? The note 3 is the brightest cell ever tested in history hitting 660 brightness

TacticalDesire
Oct 6, 2013, 12:32 PM

As of a few weeks ago. The situation isn't any different now than it was before the acquisition so that point is moot. And I was aware.

Jessica Lares
Oct 6, 2013, 01:02 PM
Ya but what does that have to do with windows phone? The note 3 is the brightest cell ever tested in history hitting 660 brightness

Windows Phone has settings especially for screen readability in sunlight. It's not device dependent.

scott craft
Oct 6, 2013, 01:27 PM
Windows Phone has settings especially for screen readability in sunlight. It's not device dependent.

Are you sure that isn't a Nokia thing? I'm not sure that my 8X has that feature. The lumia 822 that I had was great in sunlight.

Just powered on my 8X and there isn't a setting for screen brightness outside. Another way plus for Nokia.

Jessica Lares
Oct 6, 2013, 01:41 PM
Are you sure that isn't a Nokia thing? I'm not sure that my 8X has that feature. The lumia 822 that I had was great in sunlight.

Just powered on my 8X and there isn't a setting for screen brightness outside. Another way plus for Nokia.

Ah, well, so I learn something new. :o

AppleRobert
Oct 6, 2013, 02:04 PM
I keep looking at the Nokia 521 t-mobile no contract at Walmart for $129 but I never pulled the trigger. Every time my local store gets them in stock, they are sold quickly.

Technarchy
Oct 6, 2013, 05:00 PM

Or candy crush

There's a touch of humor to what you wrote due to the triviality of the examples, but you are so right. It's those little things that are holding most back from Windows Phone.

I think it's a lovely OS personally that flows nicely. It needs better support and updating in a big way though before it can play in the big leagues.

----------

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/261753-microsoft-windows-phone-7-mango-multitasking.jpeghttp://images.techhive.com/images/article/2013/06/ios7-multitasking-100041457-medium.png.

Pardon...

https://developer.palm.com/content/uploads/pics/palm_0104_01.png

Liquorpuki
Oct 6, 2013, 06:19 PM

How about shazam or Netflix?

Shazam and Netflix exist. Ameritrade, probably not

YouTube you can use a third party app like Metrotube. Same goes for Instagram

The app gap sucks but it's a chicken vs egg thing. Devs don't wanna make apps until WP8 gains marketshare. But lack of apps is an obstacle to marketshare. For WP8 owners though, the OS is gaining regardless so the app gap will get chipped away at over time.

question fear
Oct 7, 2013, 10:48 AM
Like others have said, Windows Phone is a solid choice if you're bored with iOS and Android. I like my Lumia 928 a lot, and haven't really felt held back by the missing apps, though I recognize that's my use case and not everyone else's.

However, I find that for on-the-go productivity, Windows Phone apps are great. Nextgen is a fantastic RSS reader, I have a bunch of casual games, the email experience is good, and I love the camera.

When I want to sit down and get more in-depth work done, I grab my iPad. That goes for whether my phone is an iPhone or a Windows Phone. With Skydrive, I can easily access my camera roll from my Lumia on my iPad and download photos for editing and sharing, and I have One Note on my iPad and my Lumia for easy notes sharing.

I have used iOS, Android, and Windows Phone, and I would personally rank them iOS, Windows Phone, Android. If the iPhone 6 really does have a bigger screen I would strongly consider returning to the iPhone, but in the meantime I like my Lumia. I used an original Moto Droid for two years, and I have played with newer Android devices since that time...and I just can't warm up to Android. It's fun to fiddle but I feel like my workflow is better with Live Tiles than widgets.

To each his own though...

chabig
Oct 7, 2013, 11:16 AM
Like others have said, Windows Phone is a solid choice if you're bored with iOS and Android.

Also, a hammer is a solid choice if you're bored with a screwdriver.

k995
Oct 7, 2013, 11:25 AM
just wondering from the few people that have one, why you think it is the way to go?

Had for almost a year an samsung omnia 7 With WM 7.5 to 7.8 . Enjoyed it, like iOS its quite smooth didn really mis that much apps (but then again I dont use a lot of apps) and in some ways it worked better then the iphone 3gs I had before .

Jessica Lares
Oct 7, 2013, 11:40 AM
Also, a hammer is a solid choice if you're bored with a screwdriver.

The door is to your left, please take a hint and take your sarcasm somewhere else.

beyondthepale35
Oct 8, 2013, 11:30 AM
I've had WP since the original Focus. I pretty much only read news articles on my phone and take pictures so I've enjoyed my 920. The OS is beautifully simplistic, and the social integration is top notch. There's a reason ios has been borrowing a lot of ideas from WP in general. Anyone who thinks it's crap has obviously never touched one for more than 5 minutes, or is depressed Candy Crush isn't on here.

I've never had a problem finding apps, then again I don't whine like a petulant child if I have to just go to a website to do something instead of having an app. Its right there with ios in the whole "it just works" thing. The fact that even the low end phones are still fluid is a testament to the design.

I say try it if you want something different, my friends who all have iPhones always enjoy using my phone when theirs are dead. Plus its good to support a well made operating system instead of blindly spouting misinformed bs reguritated from bitter fanboys.

roadbloc
Oct 8, 2013, 11:38 AM
Image (https://developer.palm.com/content/uploads/pics/palm_0104_01.png)

I wasn't on about the feature. I was on about the look. Hence why I said 'look' and not 'feature'. See?

aneftp
Oct 8, 2013, 01:26 PM
I've had windows phones (nokia lumias and HTC's).

Microsoft isn't gainining much ground on iOS or Android. Even with Blackberry's eventual demise, Microsoft doesn't stand to gain much in terms of Blackberries subscriber base.

What should Microsoft do next?

These are my two plans for Windows Phone OS

1. Just say screw the other OEMs. And make a hero Nokia next generation Windows Phone. Other OEMs are making half baked efforts anyways (HTC and Samsung). I haven't seen the numbers but I bet HTC and Samsung's Windows Phone sales are in the single digits as a percentage of their Android sells.

OR

2. Stop charging for Windows Phone OS license. Right now Microsoft I believe charges between $5-10 per phone for each windows phone sold. If they aren't selling many phones to began with, this extra $5-10 per phone doesn't represent much revenue.

Just make Windows Phone OS free to manufactuers.

That's the only way I see Microsoft gain traction in the current smartphone generation operating system wars.

.macbookpro.
Oct 8, 2013, 02:23 PM
For me, windows phone is really quite beautiful. The tiles, the minimalistic approach to design is wonderful.
Unfortunately the minimalistic approach was taken too far with the os.
Things like there not being a rotation lock, or a way to easily close backgrounded apps, or change from vibrate to silent.

I've experienced it for a year, but now its time to move on.

Liquorpuki
Oct 8, 2013, 07:27 PM
That's the only way I see Microsoft gain traction in the current smartphone generation operating system wars.

They're already gaining traction. Global share is rising, they've already hit double digit share in many countries. The US is one of the few countries where WP8 share is not gaining but that's looking more and more like the exception.

I would've loved to see what would've happened if MS didn't buy Nokia. Nokia was already seesawing from quarter to quarter between a small operating loss and profitability. That increased marketshare, plus the fact they pushed HTC and Samsung out of the WP8 market, would've inevitably led to consistent profitability and a great comeback story.

b166er
Oct 12, 2013, 09:16 PM
I loved my 920, but I couldn't stick around. My main reasons for bailing were the absolute zero Google presence, the terrible notifications (if you didn't have a tile for the app, you miss the notification), and the awful way the emails were threaded (every time I open the thread it had to re-download every message).

I got out before the amber update, what exactly did amber do for WP8?

I still really like the OS, and I am constantly considering going back if a few things were to change. Lack of apps was a major issue as well, it was frustrating not having my bank apps or school apps on the go.

Vegastouch
Oct 13, 2013, 02:55 AM

Or candy crush

Instagram sucks anyways.

The Windows phones are nice and work well but their app store is still just lacking. I have a Windows 8 laptop and thats what i find is their only issue.

AppleRobert
Oct 13, 2013, 12:53 PM
The 521 is now at BB and Microsoft stores for $99.

That is a pretty quick price drop. Hasn't it only been available a few months?

Jessica Lares
Oct 13, 2013, 08:24 PM
The 521 is now at BB and Microsoft stores for $99.

That is a pretty quick price drop. Hasn't it only been available a few months?

It's the same as the 520, except longer with an ugly T-Mobile logo to take up the space. :p So, basically people were paying like $30 more for an ugly logo when they could have the beautiful AT&T variant which doesn't show off that it's actually an AT&T device.

watchthisspace
Oct 13, 2013, 09:30 PM
I got to play with a Lumia 520 yesterday. For a "low spec" device. I admire how Windows Phone 8 flew on it.

If Microsoft can make Windows Phone work so well on mediocre/low spec phone hardware, I hope they cross over some of this to Windows itself and we might start seeing an O/S start has stella performance across the board.

burgman
Oct 13, 2013, 11:06 PM
It's the same as the 520, except longer with an ugly T-Mobile logo to take up the space. :p So, basically people were paying like $30 more for an ugly logo when they could have the beautiful AT&T variant which doesn't show off that it's actually an AT&T device.
I'll take the logo with WiFi calling that is an exclusive and nice addition.

Savor
Oct 15, 2013, 06:37 AM
Windows Phone is a beautiful OS. I used it for five months until my Samsung Focus got stolen. For a social media feeding OS, it probably has the best implementation with the live tiles and hubs. I love how it wasnt static and the sleek transition animations. I've admired that Metro UI look since the Zune HD came out in 2009. I use the UberMusic app as a default music app with a Metro UI skin. So a tiny piece of Microsoft's Metro UI influence is still there with me when I want to play music on my Android.

But I never wanted to go back to WP. It was a closed platform. It lacked practical apps I needed like Talkatone. The games were charged higher than the iOS/Android counterparts. I'm just NOT into Microsoft's services or ecosystem. Dont care for Bing or Internet Explorer. The Zune program was prettier than iTunes but graphic intensive with very little options to label your files. Any YouTube app on it was pretty horrendous. The Google Voice app was mediocre.

It is good to try like some people going on vacation to escape and catch some fresh air and then you go back to reality and to an OS with more practical apps. Alot of flash with very little substance. Like someone said earlier, they went too far trying to be more minimalistic. I can understand the visual appeal to iOS users, but since I'm more integrated into Google's apps, I can't see myself going back to Apple or Microsoft's closed platform. Apple went feminine with iOS7 and Microsoft went to simple and more useless than WinMo and Symbian.

For me, Linux-related Android for mobile OS and Ubuntu for a desktop OS. I like Android because it is more universal. WP & iOS has a combined 20% mobile user marketshare. And I use cross-platform messaging apps and not closed ones like iMessages. I prefer having an OS that can communicate with other branded phones and OSes and not just the same OS to same OS communicating only like AirDrop.

ceva321
Oct 15, 2013, 08:03 AM

I didn't know that. Great

mattopotamus
Oct 15, 2013, 08:25 AM
I have started to look at windows phones b.c of nokia. The hardware and camera's they put out are phenomenal for a phone. As weird as it may sound, apps are not crazy important to me. I seriously just want a good camera after using this barely passable nexus 4 camera for a year.

AppleRobert
Oct 15, 2013, 09:27 AM

Actually, the 521 is on Metro PCS at Best Buy for $99. Don't know about any logos.

The 520 is now at Radio Shack for $79. I am pretty sure it is for AT&T on their GO phone program.

Jessica Lares
Oct 15, 2013, 09:34 AM
Actually, the 521 is on Metro PCS at Best Buy for $99. Don't know about any logos.

The 520 is now at Radio Shack for $79. I am pretty sure it is for AT&T on their GO phone program.

MetroPCS version is just a debranded version of the T-Mobile one with their stuff.

That's nice, a complete bargain at that price. :D

Savor
Oct 17, 2013, 05:48 AM
There was a time I liked both Windows Phone and webOS over iOS and Android. WP was just very fresh at the time with live tiles over static icons. And webOS was awesome at multi-tasking and the way we can kill apps/cards by swiping up was just satisfying. I was even a fan of QNX on the BB PlayBook because it seemed as more refined as webOS on a tablet.

Reason I had to go back to iOS were the apps. Reason I preferred Android over all of them is because it is an open platform.

JaySoul
Oct 17, 2013, 06:44 AM
Windows is perfectly good, they just missed the boat by coming out so late.

Apple and Google had clear strategies, Windows didn't.

kasakka
Oct 17, 2013, 03:25 PM
As a web developer I loathe the WP browser. It does weird things and is definitely not the same as the desktop IE. Also has a terrible lack of even the most basic options.

Based on my limited use of the platform, it seems like it becomes a bit unwieldy as the number of installed apps grows. It suffers from poor user interface design the same way Windows does. Despite being very fast, it isn't always intuitive to use.

I was also not crazy about Nokia's efforts. While cheaper, they don't really have any kind of flagship product and part of that was due to the platform limitations. The cameras seem to be the only thing that's getting better, otherwise it's still big bezels etc.

watchthisspace
Oct 17, 2013, 03:51 PM
As a web developer I loathe the WP browser. It does weird things and is definitely not the same as the desktop IE. Also has a terrible lack of even the most basic options.

Being based of IE:10 which complies with a lot of HTML5 stuff, what is hard about developing for the Windows Phone browser? Just curious.

kasakka
Oct 17, 2013, 07:38 PM
Being based of IE:10 which complies with a lot of HTML5 stuff, what is hard about developing for the Windows Phone browser? Just curious.

It's been a while but I remember having issues with media queries, JS touch events and some CSS styling. Things that worked just fine in all other mobile browsers as well as desktop IE10. Also pretty much no debugging tools (though now apparently some 3rd party solutions exist).

But the most aggravating thing was testing on actual devices. Since there is only a "clear everything" button which includes login cookies etc and sometimes requires app restart to truly clear, it made development a lot more annoying than it should be. It certainly wouldn't kill MS to offer separate "clear cache", "clear cookies" etc. options.

vistadude
Oct 18, 2013, 01:43 AM
If windows phone had an official google maps and google voice app, I would switch instantly. I don't care for instagram. I use facebook or twitter, but really only rarely. Windows phone has an awesome looking OS and it's very fast. Also it has good skype integration. It really only the lack of google presence.

chagla
Oct 18, 2013, 08:18 AM
i bought a Lumia 521 at a great price. less than $95. new unit. those with ATt can get Lumia 520 for around $90, new unit. makes a great backup/test phone.

plus points - generally windows phones are fast, extremely easy to use.

the main issues i have with wp - lack of apps, ios-like limitations.

so for the time being, i'm sticking with Android.

watchthisspace
Oct 18, 2013, 08:32 AM
It's been a while but I remember having issues with media queries, JS touch events and some CSS styling. Things that worked just fine in all other mobile browsers as well as desktop IE10. Also pretty much no debugging tools (though now apparently some 3rd party solutions exist).

But the most aggravating thing was testing on actual devices. Since there is only a "clear everything" button which includes login cookies etc and sometimes requires app restart to truly clear, it made development a lot more annoying than it should be. It certainly wouldn't kill MS to offer separate "clear cache", "clear cookies" etc. options.

That sounds like relatively basic things Microsoft is missing. A bit tardy when they're trying to boast how their IE client on Windows Phone is essentially IE:10 from the desktop.. No wonder Webkit so popular.

If windows phone had an official google maps and google voice app, I would switch instantly. I don't care for instagram. I use facebook or twitter, but really only rarely. Windows phone has an awesome looking OS and it's very fast. Also it has good skype integration. It really only the lack of google presence.

I hear Nokia HERE maps are on-par with Google Maps, but I've not used both to really compare the two. For Google Voice, there is MetroTalk that supports Google Voice ( http://www.wpcentral.com/metrotalk-multiple-account-google-voice-windowsphone ) It is a bummer Google won't be putting any effort into Windows Phone for the forceable future.

Vetvito
Oct 18, 2013, 10:02 AM
No such thing as a low end chip for windows phone. They all have the exact same chip, some just clocked faster than others. You put that same dual core snap dragon chip in a cheap android device and get the same speedy results.

Microsoft requirements for the chip is actually smart.

vistadude
Oct 19, 2013, 03:16 AM
Nokia here might be good for driving but not good for points of interest, street view, or public transport. It really doesn't compare with google. And all the google voice apps require you to forward your text messages to your gmail account, they're basically glorified email accounts. With google pulling out of exchange, I wonder if these apps and services are even fast considering how sms and google voice is supposed to be.

That sounds like relatively basic things Microsoft is missing. A bit tardy when they're trying to boast how their IE client on Windows Phone is essentially IE:10 from the desktop.. No wonder Webkit so popular.

I hear Nokia HERE maps are on-par with Google Maps, but I've not used both to really compare the two. For Google Voice, there is MetroTalk that supports Google Voice ( http://www.wpcentral.com/metrotalk-multiple-account-google-voice-windowsphone ) It is a bummer Google won't be putting any effort into Windows Phone for the forceable future.

yjchua95
Oct 19, 2013, 10:22 AM

Or candy crush

Have you heard of Hipstamatic OGGL for Windows Phone? It supports posting to Instagram.

Do you use a phone to play games or what? There's a reason it's called a phone

----------

Given the current OS wars, Microsoft would do better by paying developers to actually develop apps for Windows Phone.

Windows Phone's got an amazing UI and ease of usage, but the lack of apps is what turns most people off.

For me, it doesn't matter. I have a Lumia 1020 and an iPhone 5s. I use the Lumia 1020 primarily for Office 365 and several enterprise Microsoft services that my company uses. And the camera too.

Nokia HERE is great for driving. Very detailed maps. But when it comes to POIs…different story altogether.

Now, about the 1020's camera. It's amazing, sure, but I still carry a Canon 5D Mk3 whenever I'm traveling or on an assignment.

Microsoft also did a great job with the WP Connector app for OS X. It's about the only non-iOS operating system to be able to sync so smoothly with my Mac.

I have my iPhone 5s because I need it for using mainstream apps like Instagram that aren't on WP8 yet.

Oh, and about open platforms. Personally, I'm against open platforms, because they're open to all sorts of security risks and vulnerabilities. I prefer closed platforms, because they work in a unified way.

yly3
Oct 19, 2013, 10:23 AM
There is a Google Maps "app" called Maps+ which uses the Google data and if you want it can even download the Google maps UI but that would just eat data faster meanigless.
Right now, you DO have official or great alternatives for almost all of the top50 apps, maybe less with the games.

I seriously believe next year it will be the WP year. 8.1 will finally address like 90% of the OS complaints.
They just released GDR3 in the betas that also addresses some common stuff.

Also, a very important fact is that Mcrosoft just launched a Developer Program a la Apple to bypass the carriers for the software updates AND it also available for the general public.
The only trade-off is that you lose your waranty and you can't go back to an older software but hey, at least it is there.

I cannot wait to get my hands on my Lumia 1020. Unbranded and unlocked runs for 680$, when it reaches the 600$ mark I'll get it.

What I love the most about WP is the pure black background. So much more comfortable on the eyes I couldn't believe it.