Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I still dont quite know if there is a secure way to backup your progress in every game installed in your android device. Many times I reset the device and lose all my progress in all games.

It's something I miss from iTunes, which easily backups all your apps data.

I'm now using Helium. Ive done a backup of Asphalt 8 to Google Drive, but havent tried restoring the data yet, so Im not 100% sure it will work whenever I reset my tablet.

Also, what happens if I change tablet or phone? Will the backup work with the next device too?

How do you guys backup your games?

Thanks.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Even between different phones? So I can have all my Asphalt 8 progress copied to say my SGS3?

yes, with the paid version, $4 or $5, you can backup to google drive or dropbox, then restore that data to another device using the cloud.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
yes, with the paid version, $4 or $5, you can backup to google drive or dropbox, then restore that data to another device using the cloud.

Don't you have to be rooted to do it from your phone? Helium never recognizes my phone when I try to use the windows app.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
don't need root to work. but without root you do need to plug into a computer first to "activate" it on the phone.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Does it need to be plugged into the computer every time or can I do backups whenever I want?

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Does it need to be plugged into the computer every time or can I do backups whenever I want?

If I understand it correctly, the hookup is only needed at initial download to activate the software.

What I don't know is, does it auto backup on any particular cycle once you have selected the cloud back up designation?

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
I still dont quite know if there is a secure way to backup your progress in every game installed in your android device. Many times I reset the device and lose all my progress in all games.

It's something I miss from iTunes, which easily backups all your apps data.

I'm now using Helium. Ive done a backup of Asphalt 8 to Google Drive, but havent tried restoring the data yet, so Im not 100% sure it will work whenever I reset my tablet.

Also, what happens if I change tablet or phone? Will the backup work with the next device too?

How do you guys backup your games?

Thanks.
Ummm, why are you worried about Asphalt 8? You do realize it is a game center game and therefore has auto-backup via G+. Your progress is auto-saved and doesn't matter what device you use, you resume where you left off. Simples.

BTW, all game center games do this. Anytime you see the Google Play 'Game' icon, it has cloud auto-save built in and Google does everything for you. Look below for an example :

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-04-21-11-35.png
    Screenshot_2013-10-04-21-11-35.png
    633.9 KB · Views: 1,564
Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Ummm, why are you worried about Asphalt 8? You do realize it is a game center game and therefore has auto-backup via G+. Your progress is auto-saved and doesn't matter what device you use, you resume where you left off. Simples.

BTW, all game center games do this. Anytime you see the Google Play 'Game' icon, it has cloud auto-save built in and Google does everything for you. Look below for an example :

I haven't seen any game yet that includes the could save Google introduced a couple of months ago. I hope all games include this soon, although I still don't have a G+ account.

Are you sure all game center games include cloud save? On that screenshot all I see is game center features of leaderboards and such, but no indication of cloud save.

EDIT: I just checked Asphalt 8 on the Play store and it doesn't have auto save or cloud save. It has scores and something else as game center features, but no cloud saving.

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Well, looks like Helium doesn't work quite good, or rather at all.

Tried to copy my Asphalt 8 backup progress from my Nexus 10 to my new Nexus 7 today and it didn't work. Nothing. Don't know why...

On the Nexus 10 I'm rooted but not on the 7. This shouldn't matter as the app works without root. I did both the backup and restore with the free version of the app using the server option (through the web browser in my iMac).

Has anyone actually copied a game backup from one device to another one? What are the steps exactly that you used?

I'd hate to lose all my progress in that game or face the same problem with other games. I can't lose all my progress every time I restore a device or try a ROM.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I used helium many times... Never encountered this problem you are having. Backup from one device to Google drive, restore from Google drive to another, two note 8s in my example... Worked every time

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Bought Helium Premium and still doesn't work.

Will try with other games and apps to see if it works.

Wouldn't need to do all this if there was an easy solution from Google.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Ok, I just found out something.

I deleted Asphalt 8 on my Nexus 10, which is where I had all my progress, and the installed it again. When opening the game a pop-up window appeared and told me of I wanted to restore my previous progress, located in the cloud. I said yes and it worked.

So I guess the cloud save feature only works inside each device, meaning it can't be synced to other devices, cause in my Nexus 7 it hasn't told me to restore.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Ok, I just found out something.

I deleted Asphalt 8 on my Nexus 10, which is where I had all my progress, and the installed it again. When opening the game a pop-up window appeared and told me of I wanted to restore my previous progress, located in the cloud. I said yes and it worked.

So I guess the cloud save feature only works inside each device, meaning it can't be synced to other devices, cause in my Nexus 7 it hasn't told me to restore.

Now, if only someone had told you this a week ago, like around Oct 4th, you could have saved all this frustration. ;) As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water.....

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Now, if only someone had told you this a week ago, like around Oct 4th, you could have saved all this frustration. ;) As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water.....

I know I know :D:D:D

I just had to see it myself. You were right!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.