PDA

View Full Version : New G4 Image has Surfaced

MacRumors
Jul 17, 2001, 09:06 PM
11 hours before the keynote, another G4 Tower image
has surfaced on the internet.

This one looks to be a photograph, which lends more
credence to it's authenticity... The image is... well --
interesting. But, you just have to judge yourself... :)

G4 Image (http://homepage.mac.com/taloston/g4new.jpg)

Click while you can...

macboy
Jul 17, 2001, 09:17 PM
could it be a G5?

nickgold
Jul 17, 2001, 09:20 PM
Something in me just sorta said "That's it" when I saw that pic. And I have to say... I dig it. Very freakish, in a good way. And I see how it fits in with the new look. I have a feeling iMac is probably on it's way out, as is the Yosemite case. They are more of a blend between the old colored-plastics look and the new techish minimal look than the new look itself, IMO.

Today at work I was excited all day, I was like "when I get out of here tonight, there will be no work between then and the keynote, just a brief period of eating, hanging out a little, and sleeping. heheheheh WORD, tomorrow is going to rock. :)

-Nick

setanor
Jul 17, 2001, 09:24 PM
i like it alot. like something giger would have designed. for a kubrick movie. i cant wait to see it up close.

pfm
Jul 17, 2001, 09:25 PM
a lot of folks on macnn boards were dissing it, but I dig it! it looks authentic, but for someo reason it looks like a prototype to me. i expect the "real" one to be similar but we will all see tomorrow.

p

wsteineker
Jul 17, 2001, 09:25 PM
This thing rocks! The tower is no big shock, honestly. Very minimalist, very industrial, and very simple. The handles are what caught my eye. Those things are beautiful once you really look at them. I love it! I can only hope that this is the real deal, but something inside me says that it is. Guess we'll see about all of that tomorrow morning!

bigdebe
Jul 17, 2001, 09:30 PM
Can't be... or should I say I hope it isn't. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of it, but... would anyone else like to add another removable media drive? Zip, floppy, tape, etc? because this enclosure moc up lacks removable panels to make this possible. Great photoshop work by somebody...

arn
Jul 17, 2001, 09:33 PM
yeah - I've got mixed feelings about it myself... it looks to be a photograph rather than a real "clean" photoshop job... but I'm not sure if I like the look 100%.

The thing I'm reminded of though is that every time a new mac comes out, the web-photo always looks much worse than in person.

we'll see... 10 1/2 hrs to go...

arn

menoinjun
Jul 17, 2001, 09:47 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that this "new G4" is one of the ugliest computers there's ever been? Oh man. If that "thing" (and I say that for lack of a better word. I'm not calling that a mac.) shows up tomorrow @ Macworld, I am giving up all hope for Apple. I don't believe it to be real anyhow. It looks pretty good (picture wise), but it too easily could be someone's good work in a metal/wood shop. I don't buy it.

-Pete

Thin Ice
Jul 17, 2001, 09:52 PM
Aha. Thought so. 2001 ASO all the way. Apple designs are following popular trends. After here it's back to new age Aquarius stuff and bright plastic.

But in the meantime... more HAL like thingies please!

"Digital hub, Dave?"

"Yes HAL" :)

sauria
Jul 17, 2001, 09:52 PM
Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

JereIC
Jul 17, 2001, 09:59 PM
If the handles were taken off, that would actually look pretty nice. With the handles, it looks like a bug or a Kmart earring, or something unspeakable.

The 1 and only aleX
Jul 17, 2001, 10:06 PM
I like the new industrial look of it so all I have to say is SSSWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT!

ThomasB
Jul 17, 2001, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by JereIC
If the handles were taken off, that would actually look pretty nice. With the handles, it looks like a bug or a Kmart earring, or something unspeakable.

Right On JereIC.

blah
Jul 17, 2001, 10:17 PM
That box is so ugly....

I'm not sure what you guys that like it are looking at. (?) it certainly looks like a prototype, and all i can say is that i hope it never sees light of day looking like that. i won't be upgrading my g4 any time soon....

<shudder>

blakespot
Jul 17, 2001, 10:25 PM
It looks too cold. I prefer the current G4 tower appearance. Hmmm. I could deal with it tho. We'll see in a few hours I suppose.

blakespot

adelaney
Jul 17, 2001, 10:29 PM
Relax everyone, this is Steve Jobs we're talking about here. He is as likely to release a computer that looks like that as he is to wear a grey turtleneck tomorrow. Let's all just get a goodnight's sleep (particularly those of us stuck on the west coast tonight) and wake up to a new (mac)World.

Solipsys
Jul 17, 2001, 10:54 PM
what the hell are you guys smoking around here??? that's by far the ugliest block with handles i've ever seen. come on people, give apple some credit and stop falling for these highschool hoaxes.

sevag1
Jul 17, 2001, 11:32 PM
That is soo fake.. you know what it is? .. its a metal BOX with old g4 handles on it.. then the drive and speaker on it were pasted on with Photoshop.. apple wouldnt make something like that.

breakfast time
Jul 17, 2001, 11:39 PM
I can't figure out why that thing doesn't fall over. Is it really supposed to rest on those curved handles placed on the bottom? it just doesn't look stable.

marco114
Jul 17, 2001, 11:46 PM
Mirror of new G4 and some other goodies!

http://homepage.mac.com/newg4pix/

ThorPrime
Jul 17, 2001, 11:54 PM
I'de give this one a hell freezing over chances of two, maybe. This image is just an obvious photoshopup and has no revelence to the actual machines jobs will roll out.

(No Sleep Til Keynote)

chump
Jul 17, 2001, 11:59 PM
Could this BE anymore fake!!! This is funny.

Some Guy
Jul 18, 2001, 12:07 AM
That thing would tip over too easily it looks like.

The "handles" are too big, odd shaped to make a stable base.

Have you ever picked up a G3/G4? They are fairly heavy and the power supply is on the TOP (hot air rises, internally it makes a convection current rise up and out).

Thats someone's design class project most likely.

Theres no way in hell thats an Apple product. Its just too outlandish and unstable-looking.

Blechh :rolleyes:

Jul 18, 2001, 12:14 AM
thats some real bad 3D and photoshop work there. Impossibly ugly, inelegant and totally impractical. Looks nothing like anything else Jonathan Ives designed either. Pathetic German fake. Ignore.

Caleb Fuller
Jul 18, 2001, 12:32 AM
Short memory must have a....

Guys, go and look at some old beige towers, the ones with a single floppy drive in the middle... then imagine it grey with handles from the current tower VERY badly superimposed over the top. I'm pretty sure that's a 6500 or like (I have one) helped along with a can of grey spray paint.

It's pretty funny really, watching all these supposed "authentic spy pictures" appear... As a professional designer I can see, shall we say, problems, in all of these pictures as clearly as reading my own name.
Even when the picture quality is good, the amateur attempts at faking Apples industrial design are often, to my trained eyes, laughably awkward. Apples visual design, whether cases or print advertising, almost always conforms to classical ideals of proportion, balance and harmony. The fakes never do. (The handles on this grey case are way to big, for starters...)

Besides, I can always see the wires anyway.

Question for any real old-timers on this board - anyone ever remember a picture posting that turned out to be true?!?

Caleb Fuller

buffsldr
Jul 18, 2001, 12:50 AM
Is this how far we have sunk? I love rumors, but this has gone too far. Time to put away the duct tape, photoshop and tower boxes.

xmatt
Jul 18, 2001, 12:56 AM
[QUOTE]
Question for any real old-timers on this board - anyone ever remember a picture posting that turned out to be true?!?
[QUOTE]

well, not particularly old, but I do remember when the spy shot of the Cube appeared on appleinsider and I at least thought it was completely fake, despite being actual Apple photos.

Capricorn
Jul 18, 2001, 12:57 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that this thing doesn't look very stable (and no, I'm not talking about the OS). Don't bump the table folks or this ones falling in the garbage.

Whatever the new enclosure is, I'll be grabbing one but i hope that it's nicer looking than this. Lose the handles and it's rocking.

TokyoAussie
Jul 18, 2001, 01:12 AM
That has to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen, and I am not limiting myself to computers here.

Just UGLY.

freed
Jul 18, 2001, 01:42 AM
There is no way in h--ll that ugly thing is it. Give Apple a little credit. There are a few give aways that this is bogus.....1 The apple logo is too big.....2....It's way too ugly.

Sad Dealer
Jul 18, 2001, 01:57 AM
I wouldn't be able to give away something that looked like that let alone sell it - I'm praying its a PhotoShop mockup.

indurix
Jul 18, 2001, 02:16 AM
i dont think that will be the new tower (hope so!) whitout handles ok maybe... well see

Linkster82
Jul 18, 2001, 02:22 AM
I agree with everyone that said that thing was ugly as hell. Something you'd find in a pic and save or a windows box if not for the handles. Butt ugly. I don't see apple selling too many of those.

Jul 18, 2001, 03:17 AM
I was starting to worry that this might be real, but its not. If you measure that CD slot, and extrapolate from there, then the new g4 is 80 cm (32") high.

I don't think so

Nick

Papach
Jul 18, 2001, 03:24 AM
sorry but did jobs fire the design-company? this box is a pc-box with some plastic to transport it around... ugly.

Thin Ice
Jul 18, 2001, 03:50 AM
Yeah the slot is kinda small...

It might have a round base because it's held up with a reality distortion field....

Coming back and looking at it a second time, you're right. Actually it looks like some mock ups from a few months ago that were in pastel colors. They were renders though with squarer handles.

I still think the "look" is right though. 2001-ish.

Early G3 tower proto? Was that a floppy slot?

Even if someone posted Apple's real new lineup here, some people would be howling with derision until, well, 4.5 hours and counting...

And some people would dismantle real photos, I guess.

I don't think Apple will radically change the iMac or Tower today (case wise). I'm expecting other things.

Truth is often stranger than fiction.

Stay tuned.

some1
Jul 18, 2001, 04:31 AM
That is what it is. Look at the shading. Wrong...

tooo many shadows.

Kela
Jul 18, 2001, 05:22 AM
what is up with the handles..... they look like aluminium foil and tape... whats going on

ChrisWright
Jul 18, 2001, 06:22 AM
It's just a silver box which has been hacked around in PhotoShop. Zoom right in on it and look at the "rounded edges". They're blatantly just gradient fills, and don't extend to the top and bottom of the unit.

Well done to whoever did it though, as it certainly seems to have fooled a lot of people (me included initially).

Jul 18, 2001, 07:41 AM
i dunno if that's an edit or not, but whatever it is, it's ugly. http://yoshi.zzux.com/phpBB/images/smiles/puke.gif

~bob2426936

MrMacMan
Jul 18, 2001, 08:01 AM
YAY!

mymemory
Jul 18, 2001, 09:18 AM
People at Apple may be having so much fun reading our comments. That G4 looks like the lates model made in the Ethiopia Apple's plant. If some one like that "thing" you are a dangerous religius Apple fanatic. What a back joke that picture, it is elegible to place it at http://www.rotten.com. Please no more!!!

Chevy
Jul 18, 2001, 01:00 PM
Just plain silly.. that's all I can say....
-Chevell
http://www.macosx.org

scalz
Jul 18, 2001, 01:21 PM
If you ask me, this looks like a current G4 with all of the plastic panels removed.

Manuxu
Jul 18, 2001, 02:08 PM
That design is just FANTASTIC. After seeing QuickSilver today I felt so dissapointed... This should have been the new G4 and I really hope it will be in the future

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL ENCLOSURE!

MrMacMan
Jul 19, 2001, 05:21 PM
Quick Silver isn't the best design, bur it better then the crappy fake one!!!