Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'm kind of stumped here... I usually customize all my icons. My method is to just go into the Finder.app and replace the icon with my own, and go into dock.app and replace both .png's with my own. For some reason this is not working in Mavericks, it's getting the icon from somewhere else. I've even tried delete both png's and Finder.icns completely to see if it would give me the default generic application icon, but it still uses the default no matter what I do. I double and triple checked spelling, capitals, etc. I've also tried setting permissions and ownership manually through the terminal and repairing disk permissions. What icon is it referencing?

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
1, go to Mac HD
2, System
3, Library
4, Core Services
5, Right Click Dock, show package contents, contents, resources
6, Place your own finder .png's here (finder.png and finder@x2.png)
7, Open terminal type "killall Dock"
8, Done

PS. Do the same for Trash icons

Last edited:

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yes, I replaced them. I'm going to replace the dock.app with the original from the installer and try again. What's weird is that I have TotalFinder set to show the original dock icon and it shows the correct Icon when I do that. So I wouldn't care about the normal Finder icon except that it shows when I log in before TotalFinder starts.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Yes, I replaced them. I'm going to replace the dock.app with the original from the installer and try again. What's weird is that I have TotalFinder set to show the original dock icon and it shows the correct Icon when I do that. So I wouldn't care about the normal Finder icon except that it shows when I log in before TotalFinder starts.

TotalFinder may be the problem. I don't have that installed and followed the above steps and it worked for me.

PS. if after "killall Dock" doesn't work restart. i seem to remember on the DP's i had the same problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 09.39.38.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 09.39.38.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,308

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yeah I restarted several times. What's weird is that I suspected total finder so I uninstalled it, but it's still getting the icon from somewhere.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
My post from djtech42's thread with the same problem:

EDIT: Umm... So it just automagically fixed itself. I haven't used this computer since yesterday but time I shut it down it wasn't working. Seems to be fine now. FWIW, permissions and ownership for the two png's are: -rw-r--r--@ 1 root wheel

Hopefully Spyrsoft will release DockMod for Mavericks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-06 at 12.50.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-06 at 12.50.22 PM.png
    565.2 KB · Views: 723

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks. Here's a fresher looking dock. Ive PM'd you some details

That looks great! I've found a bunch of good iOS7-style icons on DevART but can't find that Lightroom icon anywhere. You wouldn't happen to have a link, would you? Also, how did you get the empty spaces in your dock? I'd love to organize mine a bit (system/media/CC/etc, like you've got yours) ... Actually I sent you a PM just now but I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like more info ;)

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
That looks great! I've found a bunch of good iOS7-style icons on DevART but can't find that Lightroom icon anywhere. You wouldn't happen to have a link, would you? Also, how did you get the empty spaces in your dock? I'd love to organize mine a bit (system/media/CC/etc, like you've got yours) ... Actually I sent you a PM just now but I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like more info ;)

http://lifehacker.com/5993307/easily-add-spacers-to-your-macs-dock

http://maxa11an.deviantart.com/art/iOS-7-Adobe-Icon-Set-png-and-icns-401165296

Last edited:

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
How did you get the spaces in the Dock? What I've found doesn't work.

You can use Onyx, a popular app for tweaking settings, to add spaces to the Dock as an alternative. It hasn't been updated for Mavericks yet, but it may still work.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php

EDIT: Nevermind, just tried running it. It doesn't even let you run it, saying OS X 10.8 is required... Don't remember that happening with earlier versions. Maybe that was because they had beta versions available those times. It's unfortunate there's no beta version this time.

Last edited:

steveing64

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Stoke on Trent
I am having same problem can't get the finder or the trash to change i have checked and and the new icons are showing in all the files but on the dock they remain the same i have mated to change all my other icons any ideas :(

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Have you tried a cold boot? Restarting did not work for me, I had to shut down completely first. No idea why.

steveing64

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Stoke on Trent
I am having same problem can't get the finder or the trash to change i have checked and and the new icons are showing in all the files but on the dock they remain the same i have mated to change all my other icons any ideas :(

Yes have switched off three times now no luck will keep trying must be something simple i am missing

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
How did you get the spaces in the Dock? What I've found doesn't work.

Used this http://css-tricks.com/snippets/html/add-spaces-to-dock-in-os-x/ :D

----------

Do it as i posted in the second comment on this thread. Worked for me :)

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Any find any decent icons for Final Cut Pro X, VLC, and iWork?

I'm also having the same issue with the Trash, I've replaced both full, and empty png and @2x pngs, along with killing the dock and it stays as the old one

Last edited:

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
For you guys still having trouble even after a cold boot, check ownership and permissions:
Code:
cd /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources && ls -l | grep finder
both finder icons should say -rw-r--r-- for permissions and root wheel for ownership. honestly this shouldn't matter but I made sure that mine were correct, I don't know if it made a difference but my finder icon is working as it should.

I don't know why changing system icons is so difficult in 10.9, it seems to be a trial and error process...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.