PDA

View Full Version : Got the Z30

///M5
Oct 5, 2013, 01:58 PM
And I must say. BB10 on this phone is damn smooth.

Apps issue aside; I'm loving this phone. Find my self much more productive when on the move.

The toast notifications (with reply!) is a god send; for BBM/Texts/Whatsapp etc. The hub is really fantastic also.

And any Android app can be sideloaded so I can live with that. Got myself a Nexus 7 4G so I don't really you use apps on my phone anyway.

One more thing I love about this phone is battery life; can easily do 24-36 hours.

Thought I'd share my initial impressions; more to come later.

aneftp
Oct 5, 2013, 03:26 PM
And I must say. BB10 on this phone is damn smooth.

Apps issue aside; I'm loving this phone. Find my self much more productive when on the move.

The toast notifications (with reply!) is a god send; for BBM/Texts/Whatsapp etc. The hub is really fantastic also.

And any Android app can be sideloaded so I can live with that. Got myself a Nexus 7 4G so I don't really you use apps on my phone anyway.

One more thing I love about this phone is battery life; can easily do 24-36 hours.

Thought I'd share my initial impressions; more to come later.

I'm sure it's a good product. But we've all seen the Blackberry/RIM story. I was a long time blackberry user for 6 years. (along with early Android and iPhone adapter).

But it's just a little too little, too late for Blackberry. There isn't enough compelling things either the Z10 or Z30 offers that isn't offered by Android devices offer such as the S4 or Note 3.

onthecouchagain
Oct 5, 2013, 04:14 PM
LG, Samsung, Google, Intel, Cisco, SAP and others interested in bidding for BlackBerry?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-Samsung-Google-Intel-Cisco-SAP-and-others-interested-in-bidding-for-BlackBerry_id48002

sviato
Oct 5, 2013, 04:17 PM
lol!

My carrier refused to carry this phone, and it usually has all phones and likes exclusives. Interesting to see that it's selling somewhere! Although I'd be worried about how much support it'll get in the future.

MacRumorUser
Oct 5, 2013, 05:26 PM
I really liked my Z10 - I ended up giving it to a relation as their first smartphone and they love it.

What is version is Z30 running?

LostSoul80
Oct 5, 2013, 05:33 PM
Screenshots of the notifications part would be greatly appreciated.

Vegastouch
Oct 6, 2013, 12:09 AM
What is a Z30? Seen here it is a BB but ive no interest in them so i havent even tried to follow them. Is it a flip...what is it?

Ann P
Oct 6, 2013, 12:12 AM
What is a Z30? Seen here it is a BB but ive no interest in them so i havent even tried to follow them. Is it a flip...what is it?

:rolleyes:

Gee how about google? It's a 5-inch touchscreen, sort of like the bigger brother of the Z10.

Vegastouch
Oct 6, 2013, 12:18 AM
:rolleyes:

Gee how about google? It's a 5-inch touchscreen, sort of like the bigger brother of the Z10.

Gee i didnt want to Google it. Figured the OP would provide something. Like i said, i havent been following BB for a long time and had no interest in their B10 or whatever it is called.
All i was looking for is "it is a phone" or " a tablet". Thanks for providing that....though i dont know what a Z10 is either.

Tsuchiya
Oct 6, 2013, 06:57 AM
Keep us posted.

I hope the Z30 isn't their swan song, BB10 shows that the company can still churn out some solid ideas.

Giuly
Oct 6, 2013, 07:10 AM
LG, Samsung, Google, Intel, Cisco, SAP and others interested in bidding for BlackBerry?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-Samsung-Google-Intel-Cisco-SAP-and-others-interested-in-bidding-for-BlackBerry_id48002

Why would Samsung be interested in BlackBerry? They've KIRF'd their devices already with the Galaxy Ch@t, no?

cube
Oct 6, 2013, 07:56 AM
I want Spotify.

///M5
Oct 7, 2013, 02:04 PM
Screenshots of the notifications part would be greatly appreciated.

Sure. There you go. This also applies for BBM and Whatsapp and whatever apps that would utilize it.

Live customizing the LED also. Though it requires an app to be running all the time.

PS. Photos were uploaded using Z30 browser. Not bad.

///M5
Oct 7, 2013, 02:15 PM
Keep us posted.

I hope the Z30 isn't their swan song, BB10 shows that the company can still churn out some solid ideas.

I certainty hope so. Really liking the OS.

sviato
Oct 7, 2013, 02:28 PM

I hope Google buys it and uses BB for corporate/enterprise market and Android for consumer market.

LostSoul80
Oct 7, 2013, 04:05 PM
Sure. There you go. This also applies for BBM and Whatsapp and whatever apps that would utilize it.

Live customizing the LED also. Though it requires an app to be running all the time.

PS. Photos were uploaded using Z30 browser. Not bad.

It looks pretty cool. :eek: Thanks for sharing. Many on here have very little knowledge about BB's latest OS, so screenshots of the user interface are defenitely welcomed!

///M5
Oct 19, 2013, 11:38 AM
So thought I'd follow up after a couple of weeks.

Absolutely love the phone. My only gripe about it is the lack of apps but it seems to be picking up.

Battery life is Phenomenal. I finally don't have to worry about my phone dying on me.

I find myself way more productive on it. Love the ability of replying to sms, email, Bbm, whatsapp etc without switching app's. It's a truly communication-oriented device.

MacRumorUser
Oct 19, 2013, 12:39 PM

Absolutely love the phone. My only gripe about it is the lack of apps but it seems to be picking up.

Battery life is Phenomenal. I finally don't have to worry about my phone dying on me.

I find myself way more productive on it. Love the ability of replying to sms, email, Bbm, whatsapp etc without switching app's. It's a truly communication-oriented device.

they were my thoughts about the Z10 but eventually the lack of apps is the straw that broke this camels back.

Lloydbm41
Oct 19, 2013, 01:37 PM

I'm waiting for a fire sale and if the Z30 reaches the unlocked price of <$150, I'm picking one up. If Ubuntu can be flashed on it, it will become a def buy for me.

cube
Oct 19, 2013, 01:48 PM
BB10.2 includes an Android 4.2.2 runtime.

Z30: I like that the screen is AMOLED, but it's bigger without increase in resolution. It's still dual core. And I don't like the non-removable battery.

The Z10's price is starting to look quite good. Unlocked, with contract is not a good deal.

Bring on that Spotify!

Lloydbm41
Oct 19, 2013, 03:49 PM
BB10.2 includes an Android 4.2.2 runtime.

Z30: I like that the screen is AMOLED, but it's bigger without increase in resolution. It's still dual core. And I don't like the non-removable battery.

The Z10's price is starting to look quite good. Unlocked, with contract is not a good deal.

Bring on that Spotify!

So, all Z10's and 30's are running 10.2 now, and all can access the Android runtime? Or just the Z30?

Dual core shouldn't matter on an OS optimized for the hardware (and by extension, if Ubuntu can load onto it, dual core should be plenty too.) Non-removable battery is standard these days, as is a lack of SD card slots. I think the only major player to include these options is Samsung and ZTE (I think)?

///M5
Oct 19, 2013, 04:55 PM
So, all Z10's and 30's are running 10.2 now, and all can access the Android runtime? Or just the Z30?

Dual core shouldn't matter on an OS optimized for the hardware (and by extension, if Ubuntu can load onto it, dual core should be plenty too.) Non-removable battery is standard these days, as is a lack of SD card slots. I think the only major player to include these options is Samsung and ZTE (I think)?

Yeah all devices with 10.2 have 4.2 runtime.

The Z30 actually does have SD card slot.

And yeah, BB10 runs just fine with dual core. There is no need for quad core; for now.

----------

I'm waiting for a fire sale and if the Z30 reaches the unlocked price of <$150, I'm picking one up. If Ubuntu can be flashed on it, it will become a def buy for me.

Doubt that will ever happen. Z10 isn't on a fire sale and it hasn't sold that well. It seems that the Z30 sells better.

Lloydbm41
Oct 19, 2013, 05:16 PM
Yeah all devices with 10.2 have 4.2 runtime.

The Z30 actually does have SD card slot.

And yeah, BB10 runs just fine with dual core.

Excellent news. I have added the Z30 on to my radar and will be keeping an eye on it. The SD card slot is a bonus. Not exactly a must have, but I am not gonna complain!
And with Android ports, this becomes an almost impulse buy for me. Almost. I will wait and see what Blackberry does to pricing during the holidays on the Z30. It really is a nice looking phone and Ubuntu would be a perfect dualboot OS for this style of phone too!

http://www.bbin.in/en/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/BlackBerry-A10-30-1375776215_500x0.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bNsRLnPMIp0

cube
Oct 20, 2013, 06:38 AM
When will they add exFAT support to BB10 ?

///M5
Oct 21, 2013, 06:17 AM
When will they add exFAT support to BB10 ?

I believe exFAT support is added in 10.2. Don't have any to test; but that's what I've been reading.

Dr McKay
Oct 21, 2013, 06:37 AM
Do all Android apps work? How does it handle them? Can I see some screens?

maflynn
Oct 21, 2013, 06:44 AM
I've heard good things about it, but to be honest, I think its to little to late. With the problems BB is incurring, they'll be having a harder time to attract developers. The same thing occurred with Palm. When they devs smelled blood in the water they fled.

Heck carriers are dropping BB, just look at T-Mobile and Rodgers not carrying the Z30.

cube
Oct 21, 2013, 11:04 AM
Woot! Unlocked Z10 massive price drop again! I ordered it!

///M5
Oct 21, 2013, 12:18 PM
Woot! Unlocked Z10 massive price drop again! I ordered it!

How much? Link please. Need a secondary phone, mm right grab one if the price is right

cube
Oct 21, 2013, 12:24 PM
How much? Link please. Need a secondary phone, mm right grab one if the price is right

In Europe. Around $300 now like in other countries. Price levelling.

cube
Oct 22, 2013, 11:38 AM
The price went back up to where it was, so it seems it was a store on closeout.

cube
Oct 25, 2013, 02:33 PM
I received the Z10 and finally managed to set it up. Maybe I was not getting the update because of the 10.2 rollout.

The UX is very nice.

First impression it that the text in the browser seemed to look worse than in the 4S. Maybe it's needing a 1080p display, instead of 720p. I guess rejecting the Z30 was a good call.

akuma13
Oct 25, 2013, 05:06 PM
I'm curious about how android apps work on 10.2 too.

cube
Oct 25, 2013, 05:10 PM
If the vendor does not publish the Android app to the BB store themselves, you can try getting the .apk and repackage it for your own use with the developer tools.

cube
Oct 26, 2013, 10:49 AM
The Z10's back cover is a pleasure to open and close. The SIM and memory slots provide very easy access, too.

TacticalDesire
Oct 26, 2013, 11:53 AM
I actually wouldn't mind owning one of these.

cube
Oct 26, 2013, 12:28 PM
Pretty great:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/BlackBerry+Z10+Teardown/13445/

cube
Oct 29, 2013, 04:15 PM
So, Spotify has some API incompatibilities and it's just quitting on my BB10.2 version.

Checking out Deezer, which has offline mode and official BB10 support.

///M5
Oct 29, 2013, 07:53 PM
I received the Z10 and finally managed to set it up. Maybe I was not getting the update because of the 10.2 rollout.

The UX is very nice.

First impression it that the text in the browser seemed to look worse than in the 4S. Maybe it's needing a 1080p display, instead of 720p. I guess rejecting the Z30 was a good call.

Z10 is a lovely phone indeed. Had it before I ordered the Z30

Well, the screen of the Z10 should be sharper than the 4S. It has 356ppi compared to the 4S with 326ppi. Could be the rendering of the website or something.

cube
Oct 30, 2013, 02:53 AM
Z10 is a lovely phone indeed. Had it before I ordered the Z30

Well, the screen of the Z10 should be sharper than the 4S. It has 356ppi compared to the 4S with 326ppi. Could be the rendering of the website or something.

Yes, I was thinking the text rendering in web pages is maybe not as good.

cube
Nov 1, 2013, 12:37 PM
Blackberry Link still works for syncing BB10 devices with the builtin applications in Mavericks, because it doesn't use SyncServices for those apps.

cube
Nov 1, 2013, 04:02 PM
The menus in Google pages seem to be gimped for Blackberry. This renders the phone useless.

cube
Nov 2, 2013, 12:59 PM
So, Spotify has some API incompatibilities and it's just quitting on my BB10.2 version.

Checking out Deezer, which has offline mode and official BB10 support.

An Android runtime update was released yesterday for people who had some apps just quitting.

Now Spotify doesn't quit, but it still doesn't work, at least the newer versions.

Quite a bit of native calls there, which are not supported (there's a different native interface in BB10).

Deezer needs a real desktop application, otherwise they depend on Safari not beachballing (not a Deezer problem).

cube
Nov 2, 2013, 01:42 PM
The menus in Google pages seem to be gimped for Blackberry. This renders the phone useless.

Solved! You can put the browser in desktop mode, or change its identity.

I guess web stats for BB10 must not be very reliable.

///M5
Nov 3, 2013, 02:18 AM
Solved! You can put the browser in desktop mode, or change its identity.

I guess web stats for BB10 must not be very reliable.

I find the browser of BB10 to be one of the most reliable, especially when it comes to full websites.

cube
Nov 3, 2013, 07:44 AM
So, the Z10 actually has more resolution than the Z30.

I thought the Z30 would be maybe too wide if they kept the aspect ratio.

The only thing I envy from the Z30 so far is the powered USB port.

Once again, the Z10 is the best BB10 buy.

cube
Nov 5, 2013, 10:42 AM
I'm liking Deezer's mobile app more than Spotify's.

What it is missing is to display the number of tracks in the album list.

BTW, completion on the BB10 virtual keyboard is great.

cube
Nov 9, 2013, 03:05 PM
It seems you can only add 3 input languages. This is bad.

cube
Nov 14, 2013, 01:49 PM
OK, 3 concurrent input languages is way better than in the other systems, but it is not enough.

I don't want to have to select another language from a long list when I have to type.

cube
Nov 15, 2013, 01:39 PM
Woot! Major Android compatibility improvements coming up, including the ability to install .apk's directly!

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/11/prepare-yourself-an-android-runtime-update-is-coming/

Wellcome Amazon AppStore!

///M5
Nov 15, 2013, 03:44 PM
Woot! Major Android compatibility improvements coming up, including the ability to install .apk's directly!

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/11/prepare-yourself-an-android-runtime-update-is-coming/

Wellcome Amazon AppStore!

I just upgraded both my Z30 and Q10 to 10.2.1 latest leak. It's AMAZING. So many improvements. And not you can install APK's directly from the phone and they run pretty smoothly. Loving it.

cube
Nov 20, 2013, 02:55 PM
There's something weird with Deezer:

Using it offline, and with no signal, it stops playing when going into a tunnel.

0dev
Nov 21, 2013, 09:29 AM
I was really close to buying a Z10 before finally going for an S4. BB10 is an amazing OS but the lack of support and direction the company is going in really put me off. Glad you like your phone though, they really are decent pieces of kit. My local Carphone Warehouse has the Z10 going for under 200 unlocked right now so pretty damn cheap too!

cube
Nov 22, 2013, 11:21 AM
Z10 now "free" with contract in the US

///M5
Nov 23, 2013, 06:41 AM
I was really close to buying a Z10 before finally going for an S4. BB10 is an amazing OS but the lack of support and direction the company is going in really put me off. Glad you like your phone though, they really are decent pieces of kit. My local Carphone Warehouse has the Z10 going for under 200 unlocked right now so pretty damn cheap too!

I think it's the best bang-for-the-buck phone out there; especially with the latest 10.2.1 leak. The phone pretty much rocks now.

cube
Nov 23, 2013, 06:44 AM
I think it's the best bang-for-the-buck phone out there; especially with the latest 10.2.1 leak. The phone pretty much rocks now.

Anything without a memory card slot or a removable battery is disqualified, so you might still be right.

cube
Nov 29, 2013, 11:31 AM
Deezer: It seems you cannot download on one device while you're playing on another.

cube
Nov 30, 2013, 08:16 AM
Deezer: It seems you cannot download on one device while you're playing on another.

No, it just stopped downloading. I don't know if there's a maximum offline track limit. It is 3333 in Spotify.

ucfgrad93
Nov 30, 2013, 10:27 AM
Looks nice, but the lack of apps kills it for me.

cube
Nov 30, 2013, 10:31 AM
Looks nice, but the lack of apps kills it for me.

It already has an Android 4.2.2 runtime and greatly improved compatibility in the upcoming release.

There are many international deals from Electronic Arts, Gameloft, etc these days in BlackBerry World.

Some new cool Atari, Sega, and Namco re-releases are in the store, too.

cube
Nov 30, 2013, 11:20 AM
BB10 is really lacking the ability to move apps to the memory card.

I installed a few games, and I will soon fill the internal 16GB.

Music is already in the card. I have 55GB free there.

BTW, I think exFAT is still not supported.

Dontazemebro
Nov 30, 2013, 09:12 PM
Sounds like I might have to pick one up at a bargain basement price. I've been meaning to give BB10 a whirl. Can Ubuntu still be dual booted?

cube
Dec 1, 2013, 03:55 AM
Sounds like I might have to pick one up at a bargain basement price. I've been meaning to give BB10 a whirl. Can Ubuntu still be dual booted?

The boot loader is locked.

There's a DOS emulator, it seems some people are working on virtualised Linux.

For others, the fact that BB10 (QNX) is POSIX and it has Qt will be enough.

cube
Dec 3, 2013, 02:27 PM
I ran out of space. I cannot buy some apps, and I cannot install a couple that I already bought.

Meanwhile, I have 55 GB free on the memory card.

SlCKB0Y
Dec 3, 2013, 10:34 PM
Why would Samsung be interested in BlackBerry?

For the same reason all the other companies are interested - so it isn't bought by one of their competitors...

cube
Dec 5, 2013, 04:01 PM
I really wanted to buy a couple of big games, so I had to uninstall others to be reinstalled at a later date.

cube
Dec 11, 2013, 04:56 PM
I tried two browsers. It seems you cannot paste in JavaScript prompts.

cube
Jan 22, 2014, 12:00 PM
I cannot believe that BB10 has AZERTY and QWERTZ, but not QWERTY variations, specially in the case of Spanish.