Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

///M5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
And I must say. BB10 on this phone is damn smooth.

Apps issue aside; I'm loving this phone. Find my self much more productive when on the move.

The toast notifications (with reply!) is a god send; for BBM/Texts/Whatsapp etc. The hub is really fantastic also.

And any Android app can be sideloaded so I can live with that. Got myself a Nexus 7 4G so I don't really you use apps on my phone anyway.

One more thing I love about this phone is battery life; can easily do 24-36 hours.

Thought I'd share my initial impressions; more to come later.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
And I must say. BB10 on this phone is damn smooth.

Apps issue aside; I'm loving this phone. Find my self much more productive when on the move.

The toast notifications (with reply!) is a god send; for BBM/Texts/Whatsapp etc. The hub is really fantastic also.

And any Android app can be sideloaded so I can live with that. Got myself a Nexus 7 4G so I don't really you use apps on my phone anyway.

One more thing I love about this phone is battery life; can easily do 24-36 hours.

Thought I'd share my initial impressions; more to come later.

I'm sure it's a good product. But we've all seen the Blackberry/RIM story. I was a long time blackberry user for 6 years. (along with early Android and iPhone adapter).

But it's just a little too little, too late for Blackberry. There isn't enough compelling things either the Z10 or Z30 offers that isn't offered by Android devices offer such as the S4 or Note 3.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
lol!

My carrier refused to carry this phone, and it usually has all phones and likes exclusives. Interesting to see that it's selling somewhere! Although I'd be worried about how much support it'll get in the future.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I really liked my Z10 - I ended up giving it to a relation as their first smartphone and they love it.

What is version is Z30 running?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
What is a Z30? Seen here it is a BB but ive no interest in them so i havent even tried to follow them. Is it a flip...what is it?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
:rolleyes:

Gee how about google? It's a 5-inch touchscreen, sort of like the bigger brother of the Z10.

Gee i didnt want to Google it. Figured the OP would provide something. Like i said, i havent been following BB for a long time and had no interest in their B10 or whatever it is called.
All i was looking for is "it is a phone" or " a tablet". Thanks for providing that....though i dont know what a Z10 is either.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Keep us posted.

I hope the Z30 isn't their swan song, BB10 shows that the company can still churn out some solid ideas.

///M5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
Screenshots of the notifications part would be greatly appreciated.

Sure. There you go. This also applies for BBM and Whatsapp and whatever apps that would utilize it.

Live customizing the LED also. Though it requires an app to be running all the time.

PS. Photos were uploaded using Z30 browser. Not bad.

Attachments

• IMG_00000025.png
    IMG_00000025.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_00000026.png
    IMG_00000026.png
    689.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_00000024.png
    IMG_00000024.png
    380 KB · Views: 131

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Sure. There you go. This also applies for BBM and Whatsapp and whatever apps that would utilize it.

Live customizing the LED also. Though it requires an app to be running all the time.

PS. Photos were uploaded using Z30 browser. Not bad.

It looks pretty cool. :eek: Thanks for sharing. Many on here have very little knowledge about BB's latest OS, so screenshots of the user interface are defenitely welcomed!

///M5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
So thought I'd follow up after a couple of weeks.

Absolutely love the phone. My only gripe about it is the lack of apps but it seems to be picking up.

Battery life is Phenomenal. I finally don't have to worry about my phone dying on me.

I find myself way more productive on it. Love the ability of replying to sms, email, Bbm, whatsapp etc without switching app's. It's a truly communication-oriented device.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Absolutely love the phone. My only gripe about it is the lack of apps but it seems to be picking up.

Battery life is Phenomenal. I finally don't have to worry about my phone dying on me.

I find myself way more productive on it. Love the ability of replying to sms, email, Bbm, whatsapp etc without switching app's. It's a truly communication-oriented device.

they were my thoughts about the Z10 but eventually the lack of apps is the straw that broke this camels back.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

I'm waiting for a fire sale and if the Z30 reaches the unlocked price of <$150, I'm picking one up. If Ubuntu can be flashed on it, it will become a def buy for me.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
BB10.2 includes an Android 4.2.2 runtime.

Z30: I like that the screen is AMOLED, but it's bigger without increase in resolution. It's still dual core. And I don't like the non-removable battery.

The Z10's price is starting to look quite good. Unlocked, with contract is not a good deal.

Bring on that Spotify!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
BB10.2 includes an Android 4.2.2 runtime.

Z30: I like that the screen is AMOLED, but it's bigger without increase in resolution. It's still dual core. And I don't like the non-removable battery.

The Z10's price is starting to look quite good. Unlocked, with contract is not a good deal.

Bring on that Spotify!

So, all Z10's and 30's are running 10.2 now, and all can access the Android runtime? Or just the Z30?

Dual core shouldn't matter on an OS optimized for the hardware (and by extension, if Ubuntu can load onto it, dual core should be plenty too.) Non-removable battery is standard these days, as is a lack of SD card slots. I think the only major player to include these options is Samsung and ZTE (I think)?

///M5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2009
Mississauga, ON
So, all Z10's and 30's are running 10.2 now, and all can access the Android runtime? Or just the Z30?

Dual core shouldn't matter on an OS optimized for the hardware (and by extension, if Ubuntu can load onto it, dual core should be plenty too.) Non-removable battery is standard these days, as is a lack of SD card slots. I think the only major player to include these options is Samsung and ZTE (I think)?

Yeah all devices with 10.2 have 4.2 runtime.

The Z30 actually does have SD card slot.

And yeah, BB10 runs just fine with dual core. There is no need for quad core; for now.

----------

I'm waiting for a fire sale and if the Z30 reaches the unlocked price of <$150, I'm picking one up. If Ubuntu can be flashed on it, it will become a def buy for me.

Doubt that will ever happen. Z10 isn't on a fire sale and it hasn't sold that well. It seems that the Z30 sells better.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Yeah all devices with 10.2 have 4.2 runtime.

The Z30 actually does have SD card slot.

And yeah, BB10 runs just fine with dual core.

Excellent news. I have added the Z30 on to my radar and will be keeping an eye on it. The SD card slot is a bonus. Not exactly a must have, but I am not gonna complain!
And with Android ports, this becomes an almost impulse buy for me. Almost. I will wait and see what Blackberry does to pricing during the holidays on the Z30. It really is a nice looking phone and Ubuntu would be a perfect dualboot OS for this style of phone too!

BlackBerry-A10-30-1375776215_500x0.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bNsRLnPMIp0

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.