Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Hi everyone,

currently working on a big project, I was wondering if you had any picutres, links, info to everything about the feelgood 80's, im more on about the american 80's (think Scarface, GTA Vice city <- a game but still a good representation, Flowery shirts etc)

also its a longshot but are there any plugins or recipes for the google plugins that can create the desired effect?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I'm not quits sure where the "feel good" part of the '80s comes from. This was Carter/Reagan/Reagan/George HW Bush time. I was working full time as a teacher and couldn't get enough credit to buy a $500 stereo system with $250 cash to put down. The economy sucked for anyone who wasn't already rich and republican. This was also the rise of AIDS under a Presidency that did a good job ignoring it and putting a lot of good people in the ground in the process.

Grand Theft Auto as an example of Happy America? Is this a joke??

Dale

I have to go now, the '60s are calling.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
Most Americans of my generation (early-mid 70's kids) think of the "feel good 80's" with the Southern California scene, like exemplified in Valley Girl, and Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Scarface and GTA are set in Miami (and of course, along with Miami Vice). Miami was essentially known as the cocaine entry point to most of the country.

The darker side of the 80's (greed, narcissism) is played out in Wall Street and American Psycho (which happen to take place where I grew up, NY).

Sorry that this really doesn't address your request, but just providing my $0.02.

Regarding the technical details, you can see on IMDB the type of film used in Scarface: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086250/technical
I highly doubt such a plugin exists, but Google is always your friend...

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Hi everyone,

currently working on a big project, I was wondering if you had any picutres, links, info to everything about the feelgood 80's, im more on about the american 80's (think Scarface, GTA Vice city <- a game but still a good representation, Flowery shirts etc)

also its a longshot but are there any plugins or recipes for the google plugins that can create the desired effect?

Since all decades get a title and you refer to the 80's as a feel good era, you might want to check out MTV's site and then also Youtube to inspire and perhaps point you in the right direction.

80's - Dynasty/big shoulder pads and red lipstick, Weird Science type movies, massive attention to music videos, New Wave styles parallel some of the Punk scene....

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I forgot MTV. That's when I first heard the phrase "Come watch this song" as opposed to listen to this song. The '80s really changed the delivery of music from strictly auditory to a mixed media event in the home. Up until then, that belonged to Pink Floyd in concert.

Dale

salacious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2011
i see that miami is the inspiration.

I appreciate the answers given, but i just asked for design examples not life stories, sorry it didnt work out too good for you, but I was looking for designs that inspired the 80's, I managed to find them now.

peace

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.