PDA

View Full Version : Are we supposed to stop buying mobile devices?

cube
Oct 5, 2013, 11:31 PM
I was about to buy an Android phone and maybe a tablet, then I found out many things cannot be put in the memory card now. So:

- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Android
- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Windows Phone
- Apple does not have memory slots
- The best chance seems to be BB10, but there's no official Spotify

rocknblogger
Oct 5, 2013, 11:43 PM
What are you trying to accomplish?

cube
Oct 6, 2013, 12:03 AM
Having a lot of upgradeable storage at a reasonable price.

noisycats
Oct 6, 2013, 12:04 AM
I was about to buy an Android phone and maybe a tablet, then I found out many things cannot be put in the memory card now. So:

- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Android
- It seems you cannot use the SD card for Kindle in Windows Phone
- Apple does not have memory slots
- The best chance seems to be BB10, but there's no official Spotify

How does any of the above (while not accurate) indicate you should stop buying mobile devices?

cube
Oct 6, 2013, 12:06 AM
How does any of the above (while not accurate) indicate you should stop buying mobile devices?

Because they don't provide the functionality needed. If it's not accurate, I will be glad to be corrected with strong evidence to the contrary.

Vegastouch
Oct 6, 2013, 12:12 AM
So stop buying them. Not sure anyone here will care.

MacRumorUser
Oct 6, 2013, 02:33 AM
Maybe you should just buy a kindle ! ;)

And SD Card usage is dependent on device. Also whilst Kindle or other app itself may be required on internal storage, additional content can be stored on the SD.

cube
Oct 6, 2013, 04:23 AM
No, since Honeycomb it is not possible to install apps in the card, and that is not what I am talking about. Although this means the 4GB dual sim phablet I was thinking about is out of the question, I accept it so that an app in the card cannot be replaced by a malicious one.

It is also not possible to store the Kindle books in the card for newer Android and WP, unlike some other media.

And I don't want to carry more than a phone.

MacRumorUser
Oct 6, 2013, 04:29 AM
No, since Honeycomb it is not possible to install apps in the card, and that is not what I am talking about. Although this means the 4GB dual sim phablet I was thinking about is out of the question, I accept it so that an app in the card cannot be replaced by a malicious one.

It is also not possible to store the Kindle books in the card for newer Android and WP, unlike some other media.

You clearly haven't used latest Samsung devices which CAN move the app to SD Card.

So please check your Facts...

Also how many kindle books are you carrying around with you because you can get thousands on even smallest Smartphone these days.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/06/u8u8ygen.jpg

cube
Oct 6, 2013, 04:34 AM
You clearly haven't used latest Samsung devices which CAN move the app to SD Card.

So please check your Facts...

Also how many kindle books are you carrying around with you because you can get thousands on even smallest Smartphone these days.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/06/u8u8ygen.jpg)

Well, I checked already, and there are many people complaining even with Jelly Bean, that's why the thread was started.

And 4GB is not enough for both apps and Kindle books, if what I want was available with 16GB, I would take it.

MacRumorUser
Oct 6, 2013, 04:38 AM
So basically because what you want is starved of internal memory / storage your being all dramatic and condemning the whole smartphone market without clearly checking all of your facts before you even started this thread....

Buy something with more storage or don't buy, its your choice. The smartphone market is full of choices, just because your picking one that doesn't suit your needs us not indicative of the whole

daveathall
Oct 6, 2013, 04:38 AM

Kindle app can be moved to SD card, I'm not sure where the actual books are stored, not bothered TBH because the space they take is so minimal as to be negligible.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Screenshot_2013-10-06-10-35-13_zpsc02fc8ef.png

cube
Oct 6, 2013, 04:45 AM
So basically because what you want is starved of internal memory / storage your being all dramatic and condemning the whole smartphone market without clearly checking all of your facts before you even started this thread....

Buy something with more storage or don't buy, its your choice. The smartphone market is full of choices, just because your picking one that doesn't suit your needs us not indicative of the whole

No, it's not full of choices, and I saw reports about this problem on a variety of devices, as a general system problem, not vendor-specific. I'm not even talking about the phablet I might buy, if it accept it is not global 3G.

Until vendors state explicitly that this problem does not exist anymore, I'm buying nothing.

daveathall
Oct 6, 2013, 04:47 AM
No, it's not full of choices, and I saw reports about this problem on a variety of devices, as a general system problem, not vendor-specific. I'm not even talking about the phablet I might buy, if it accept it is not global 3G.

Until vendors state explicitly that this problem does not exist anymore, I'm buying nothing.

What phone do you have now please?:)

cube
Oct 6, 2013, 04:52 AM
What phone do you have now please?:)

I replaced my Xperia Neo V by an iPhone 4S someone gave me as a gift. 32GB is not enough, and I'm not paying $1000 for 64 that also cannot be upgraded.

But only now a phone appears besides China that approaches what I need.

Jessica Lares
Oct 6, 2013, 08:17 AM
Most of us that read ebooks use Calibre for that reason. Just strip the DRM and use another reader which allows for you to read off SD cards. It's an app issue, not a device issue.

ucfgrad93
Oct 6, 2013, 10:29 AM
Maybe you should just buy a kindle ! ;)

Agreed.

Sounds like there isn't a perfect device for you OP so you have to decide on which one meets the majority of your needs. Yeah, it stinks, but it is what it is. No need to sit here on the internet crying "Woe is me!"

KentuckyHouse
Oct 6, 2013, 01:17 PM
Wow. Uninformed OP is uninformed.

People have given you lots of good advice here and you seem more intent in whining than listening. Take their advice. Or don't. But stop whining about a problem you've created by picking the wrong device.

cube
Oct 6, 2013, 02:40 PM
How am I uninformed if before buying something I search and I find lots of people with problems, not about the specific item, but about a whole range of similar devices from other brands?

I didn't invent anything. Lots of people reporting that the newer versions of Android didn't allow installing apps in the SD card, and others complaining that they cannot use the SD card with Kindle books anymore.

mellofello
Oct 6, 2013, 04:33 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/234/765/b7e.jpg

My note 3 has a 64 gb sd card in it. All my big games are running off of it. My Kindle is totally backed up in the cloud when I want to read on the phone it auto syncs to my Kindle.

I don't know why you would want to store your Kindle books on a sd card. If you are illegally downloading epub files then there are plenty of apps to read them.

KentuckyHouse
Oct 6, 2013, 04:46 PM
How am I uninformed if before buying something I search and I find lots of people with problems, not about the specific item, but about a whole range of similar devices from other brands?

I didn't invent anything. Lots of people reporting that the newer versions of Android didn't allow installing apps in the SD card, and others complaining that they cannot use the SD card with Kindle books anymore.

The bottom line is this. You came here, posted a vague issue, and won't even say what phone you're interested in (even after being directly asked).

If you'd actually give some specific information rather than talking in generalities, maybe we could help you. But as it is, it just seems you want to whine about something, anything.

All we know is you want a phablet that only comes with 4gb of memory. It does support external SD, but the Kindle app doesn't allow you to store your books on it. This, to me, sounds like your issue is more with the app rather than the phone. And if the 4gb of internal storage doesn't work for you, find another phone that does.

It's as simple as that.

cube
Oct 8, 2013, 02:32 PM
And if the 4gb of internal storage doesn't work for you, find another phone that does.

Show me another 720p dual sim phone that is sold in Europe.

KentuckyHouse
Oct 8, 2013, 02:52 PM
Show me another 720p dual sim phone that is sold in Europe.

http://www.amazon.com/BLU-D910a-Unlocked-4-3-Inch-Processor/dp/B009C7WH8K

http://www.freeyourmobile.biz/acatalog/Android_dual_sim_mobile_phones.html

onthecouchagain
Oct 8, 2013, 02:53 PM
You're supposed to stop buying phones. Not us, though.

cube
Oct 8, 2013, 04:58 PM
http://www.amazon.com/BLU-D910a-Unlocked-4-3-Inch-Processor/dp/B009C7WH8K

http://www.freeyourmobile.biz/acatalog/Android_dual_sim_mobile_phones.html

...and you didn't answer the question.

KentuckyHouse
Oct 8, 2013, 06:29 PM
...and you didn't answer the question.

And apparently you didn't click the links. Jeez. Do we have to do everything for you?

cube
Oct 9, 2013, 12:44 PM
And apparently you didn't click the links. Jeez. Do we have to do everything for you?

No, you didn't bother reading the question and your links properly.

MacRumorUser
Oct 9, 2013, 03:15 PM
Both of those items he linked can be bought online and are/can be shipped to the UK.

Jibbajabba
Oct 10, 2013, 07:52 AM
I'm buying nothing.

In that case I suggest that :

http://doktorspinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/d2424bd75db18eacbc4c9bbd6497ba90.jpg

and that

http://scarlettlibrarian.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/book.jpg

cube
Oct 10, 2013, 11:33 AM
Both of those items he linked can be bought online and are/can be shipped to the UK.

Which is irrelevant when the products don't match the requirements.

MacRumorUser
Oct 10, 2013, 11:39 AM

... Seriously you are either trolling or just acting a like a donkey for kicks at this stage ...

Buy or don't buy whatever you want, we wont lose any sleep over the matter.

T5BRICK
Oct 10, 2013, 11:43 AM

Then it sounds like the device you want doesn't exist. You'll either have to compromise and settle for something CLOSE to your requirements, or just "stop buying mobile devices."

I personally don't have a problem with 32GB of internal storage since I started streaming all of my music.

cube
Oct 10, 2013, 11:53 AM
Then it sounds like the device you want doesn't exist. You'll either have to compromise and settle for something CLOSE to your requirements, or just "stop buying mobile devices."

I personally don't have a problem with 32GB of internal storage since I started streaming all of my music.

What nobody has shown to exist is a better phone that the one I'm considering that fulfills the short requirements outlined.

Too many violent posters in this subforum assuming other people are stupid..

MacRumorUser
Oct 10, 2013, 11:57 AM
What nobody has shown to exist is a better phone that the one I'm considering that fulfills the short requirements outlined.

You haven't even bothered posting a single link or telling us the phone you are intending to buy. Do not blame posters here for assuming you are being asinine when your posts are the very typification of the word.

KentuckyHouse
Oct 10, 2013, 12:02 PM

I don't think it's an assumption anymore.

You haven't even bothered posting a single link or telling us the phone you are intending to buy. Do not blame posters here for assuming you are being asinine when your posts are the very typification of the word.

Exactly! OP won't even tell us what he's considering. At this point I'm inclined to believe he's just seeking attention, which is sad for someone that's been here as long as he has.

alent1234
Oct 12, 2013, 08:54 PM
i'm at the point where i'm perfectly willing to keep a smartphone for 3 or more years and buy a new ipad more often. most times i don't use my iphone for much and have thought of trading it in for GN2 just for the bigger screen to read kindle books. and use one of my ipads for more intensive work