Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Hello.

I have iOS 7. It turns out that Siri works just fine when my iPhone is connected to my Wi-Fi network, but when I go outside and enable data network (3G in my town), Siri doesn't work at all. It will tell me something like "sorry, I can't help you right now. Try again later" and blah blah.

I already tried reseting the network settings, but that doesn't solve the issue.

Ideas?

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Sounds to me like something is stopping your cellular network from allowing your phone to communicate with the relevant servers. Either there's there's too much network traffic, something needs to be fixed, or the carrier decided to shut something down temporarily.

Try using Siri over your cellular network again. If Siri still won't work, try visiting a Website in Safari.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Apple System Status does not indicate a problem on their end...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-06 at 6.48.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-06 at 6.48.33 PM.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 147

odin

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Consider running a speed test app or something like the Root Metrics app to determine cell issues in your immediate area. Turn off WiFI and run one of those apps. (Beware your data if you're near cap this month.) Root Metrics is nice because it helps others in your area see general cell performance on your provider.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Sounds to me like something is stopping your cellular network from allowing your phone to communicate with the relevant servers. Either there's there's too much network traffic, something needs to be fixed, or the carrier decided to shut something down temporarily.

Try using Siri over your cellular network again. If Siri still won't work, try visiting a Website in Safari.

I use my 3G connection to browse on Safari all the time and there's no problem.

Apple System Status does not indicate a problem on their end...

I always check that website and there's no indication of a problem. So definitely the issue doesn't seem to be on that side, although Apple never states anything on that page to be honest.

Usually when Siri stops working for me, I just turn it off and then back on and it starts working again.

Tried 100 times. Never worked.

Consider running a speed test app or something like the Root Metrics app to determine cell issues in your immediate area. Turn off WiFI and run one of those apps. (Beware your data if you're near cap this month.) Root Metrics is nice because it helps others in your area see general cell performance on your provider.

I ran a Speedtest and everything seems to be fine. It's not the fastest connection ever, but it works.

Also I'm not sure if this is somehow connected, but sometimes when I use the dictation feature it will work very very slowly, even on Wi-Fi.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
And the sky is blue. Any other news?

That has been my contant experience with Siri. Isn't it still in beta, anyway?

Don't be dramatic. Siri used to work just fine before updating to iOS 7.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
And the sky is blue. Any other news?

That has been my contant experience with Siri. Isn't it still in beta, anyway?

No she's out of it with iOS 7. I've actually tested it with Google now and it's better. It's not just a glorified search. Kudos Apple.

Anyways, reset Siri and restart phone. It should work.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Siri not working

No she's out of it with iOS 7. I've actually tested it with Google now and it's better. It's not just a glorified search. Kudos Apple.

Anyways, reset Siri and restart phone. It should work.

It doesn't.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
So you hold the home button and nothing happens? No Siri, no voice control, nothing?

I can talk but Siri will answer that it can't help in that precise moment and that I should try later.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Try turning Siri OFF in settings; do a hard reset (HOLD Power+Home til phone turns off and Apple logo shows on screen - RELEASE both buttons)

After reboot turn Siri back on.

carlosbar

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
I have the exact same issue!

I also happen to have the same siri/dictation problem! :( I have an iphone 5s and an iPad mini and both have the same problem when im on my 3G network. It used to work just fine before upgrading to iOS 7, so i do think its something on apple's side. Ive tested both my wifi and 3G on speediest app.

3G is on 0.89 Mbps
Wifi is 5.86 Mbps

it is a huge difference but safari and all the other apps that require internet work just fine when im on 3G.

I can't wait for apple to fix this. I've tried everything.

Waitin for iOS 7.0.4 or something.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Try turning Siri OFF in settings; do a hard reset (HOLD Power+Home til phone turns off and Apple logo shows on screen - RELEASE both buttons)

After reboot turn Siri back on.

That's what I did. No results.

Aww. I did get this pre iOS 7.0.3. You sure your on this pertucular build?

I have the latest version and the problem is still there.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
That's what I did. No results.

I have the latest version and the problem is still there.

How about restrictions? Look in Settings -> Restrictions -> and if ON make sure siri is not OFF

Only other thing I can think of is do a restore and set up as 'New'

Last edited:

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
How about restrictions? Look in Settings -> Restrictions -> and if ON make sure siri is not OFF

Only other thing I can think of is do a restore and set up as 'New'

The problem is not there. Consider, as I said before, that Siri works great when I'm on Wi-Fi. The problem comes only when I'm using mobile data.

I wonder if it's technically possible for my phone company to "block" the access to Siri over 3G.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
I'm mean that's possible... Especially since everything you tried doesn't work. Call you cell phone provider and ask

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.