Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yennta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Didn't know where to post this.
I have two macs. A MacBook air & an iMac both running the latest version of the OS
Yesterday the mouse on the iMac stopped working. What I mean is it would move. But it wouldn't CLICK
I tried several different mice. No luck.
So I used the laptop to access the iMac & backed stuff up, etc.
Today the trackpad on the MacBook had the same problem. Move but no click.
I hooked up some different mice via USB. No good same problem.

This is just too much of a coincidence.
HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE? Is it solvable?

Thank goodness for the iPad with which I'm able to post this.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Didn't know where to post this.
I have two macs. A MacBook air & an iMac both running the latest version of the OS
Yesterday the mouse on the iMac stopped working. What I mean is it would move. But it wouldn't CLICK
I tried several different mice. No luck.
So I used the laptop to access the iMac & backed stuff up, etc.
Today the trackpad on the MacBook had the same problem. Move but no click.
I hooked up some different mice via USB. No good same problem.

This is just too much of a coincidence.
HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE? Is it solvable?

Thank goodness for the iPad with which I'm able to post this.
First, you can rule out a virus, as there are no OS X viruses in the wild, and there never has been any. Also, your symptoms are not indicative of any known OS X malware. I would try rebooting, checking your mouse or trackpad settings in System Preferences, verifying that batteries are fresh and install properly (if a cordless mouse) or connections are secure (if a corded mouse), and also check to see what apps are running, to see if any might be interfering with mouse or trackpad operation.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
My rMBP 13" has done this a few times since last Tuesday, right after I did the SMC update. I took it to the Apple Store friday but we couldnt reproduce the problem there. It's been fine all weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.