Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
The default or what I assume the default music player on my SII sucks so I bought PowerAmp roughly a year ago. It's much easier to work with but I keep running into abrupt pauses now and then with and without any custom skins.

Anyone know any good music players out there with the ability to skip tracks from the lockscreen like PowerAmp? I tried N7 and absolutely hated the interface and all the folders created /background downloading it did.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Rocket player. Great player. Highly customizable (down to what happens when you select an album - open it or play it?).

And you can even customize it to look like Google's recent card ui.

OxsQsTQ.png

And it's free. Premium version has a few more features.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I use Google play music but the widget is awful.

Not a fan of Samsung's two music apps on the S4.

Mt favourite was music player on the HTC one with sense 5.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I just stick to the default TouchWiz Music Player.

Apart from PowerAmp (mentioned in OP) and Play Music, I'm not that well versed on alternative music players on Android.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I just stick to the default TouchWiz Music Player.

Apart from PowerAmp (mentioned in OP) and Play Music, I'm not that well versed on alternative music players on Android.

+1 for the Touchwiz player. I usually am either always streaming Pandora or SiriusXM so I don't really listen to any local music anyway so the stock player works fine for me.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I love jetAudio music player myself. Great visual player options, best embedded lyrics display, great automated gain leveling. Very good lockscreen and widget options as well.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
I'd say RocketPlayer of those I've tried.
Out of curiosity, anyone ever see an Android music player app that has a software volume slider?
I wonder why that's never included in any player I've seen so far (on Android).

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Shuttle is good, but I can't use anything other than Google Music Player just because of the ease of adding music to my library. Anytime I add music to my music folder on my computer, it just syncs with the app on my Mac and goes directly to my phone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Another reason I use Google music is I have all access and tracks downloaded onto my device from it only play in that app. All Access is great though :)

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
The default or what I assume the default music player on my SII sucks so I bought PowerAmp roughly a year ago. It's much easier to work with but I keep running into abrupt pauses now and then with and without any custom skins.

Anyone know any good music players out there with the ability to skip tracks from the lockscreen like PowerAmp? I tried N7 and absolutely hated the interface and all the folders created /background downloading it did.

Apollo is hands down my favorite music player on Android.

UD6QxW2l.jpg

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Poweramp user here. Plays anything I throw at it and can mess with EQ settings and stuff. I'm not a fan of the google music or touchwiz music apps. They seem to mess up my cover art and I'm OCD :p

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Widget for Google Music.

Is there any really decent music widgets (nice designed like Samsung music app, or HTC music app) that works with Google Play Music. The Google Play Music widget is just AWFUL with all capitals intended.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Is there any really decent music widgets (nice designed like Samsung music app, or HTC music app) that works with Google Play Music. The Google Play Music widget is just AWFUL with all capitals intended.

It really is. I've expressed my dislike of Google Play's music app both to Google and on this board before. I don't get why it's so bad. The music app itself is nice, but the widget... dreadful.

Rocket Player's widget works well and is an overall better player. The best, IMO.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

It really is. I've expressed my dislike of Google Play's music app both to Google and on this board before. I don't get why it's so bad. The music app itself is nice, but the widget... dreadful.

Rocket Player's widget works well and is an overall better player. The best, IMO.

Why don't you guys like the Google Music widget? To me it's the cleanest looking one available and I haven't had any trouble with it at all.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Why don't you guys like the Google Music widget? To me it's the cleanest looking one available and I haven't had any trouble with it at all.

Sometimes it's unresponsive, requiring multiple taps just to get into the music app or for the controls to kick in.

This never happens with Rocket Player's music app. In general, I prefer Rocket Player anyway so it works out for me.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Sometimes it's unresponsive, requiring multiple taps just to get into the music app or for the controls to kick in.

This never happens with Rocket Player's music app. In general, I prefer Rocket Player anyway so it works out for me.

Weird, that hasn't happened once on my Note 2 unless I've just failed to notice it. Anyway thanks, then I know I'm not missing out on some awesome widget functionality or something :D

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
I like Rocket Player with the super dark theme. AMOLED black is gorgeous. And keeping the dark theme is a new player I really like, ZPlayer. It's a Windows Phone theme player. And it's very stylish.

iphone01ninja

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Kugou and Duomi are two of the most popular music players in China. Really good staff.:D. Installed both on my Galaxy Note

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I absolutely love the Google Music player. Not sure if the iPhone's Music app has the same swipe to change song feature. I don't use the widget so I can't comment in that regard. I kinda wish you could set the artwork to stay in place instead of drifting. But overall it's a killer music player and that plus the fact that my collection is in the cloud has allowed me to never use iTunes for music ever again. Plus an iOS official app is rumored to hit the market at the end of this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.