Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I've been working on an iOS app in my spare time, I like to think it's a good idea and am keen to protect it.

So far I've been built a (basic) custom API for access to a mysql database for the service and have a somewhat poorly written version of the app. I was finding it was taking too long on the iOS side and looked for ways to speed it up, I stumbled across parse and indeed baas completely by accident. I've decided to give it a go with that instead as many of the SDK's prewritten functions will save a lot of time.

So far I've been doing everything locally, is there anything I need to do in terms of 'protecting' my idea before I start sharing the fundamentals of my system. I know that parse.com couldn't care less about my idea and it's not as if the app is going to make big £££ but I guess you might say I'm a little paranoid.

Any ideas/experience on the topic would be appreciated. Cheers.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
If you're talking about protecting an idea, that's hard to do. You can trademark an image and copyright works or patent a process, but there is no real legal protection for an idea. (I'm not an expert on this, so double check).

Being 1st helps and you can have other apps taken down by Apple under the right conditions.

IMO, the best way to protect an idea is to make an app that is great and keep the people happy.

Is there a way you can hide how you implement the idea to keep people guessing or protect a needed part of it?

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
If you're talking about protecting an idea, that's hard to do. You can trademark an image and copyright works or patent a process, but there is no real legal protection for an idea. (I'm not an expert on this, so double check).

Being 1st helps and you can have other apps taken down by Apple under the right conditions.

IMO, the best way to protect an idea is to make an app that is great and keep the people happy.

Is there a way you can hide how you implement the idea to keep people guessing or protect a needed part of it?

Thanks, all seems like reasonably sensible advice, I should probably just worry less and work more!

I didn't know that Apple protect the earlier apps, that's worth knowing. Cheers.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
I do not understand, what you backend is doing and who could steal your implementation? Can you expand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.