Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Great my GS Note 3 is less than 24 hours old and already outdated :p

I am not sure about that.......
Think about it....If Samsung could produce something like what is in that video for the mass market. They would have been blasting the advertising with it....they could have stole millions in sales from Apple if people knew a flexible screen phone just around the corner. There hasn't been anything in the news about an upcoming product from Samsung with a flexible screen. I have seen those promotional videos from Samsung for their flexible screens....they have been around a while. But as far as a mass produced flexible screen phone......i will believe it when I see it......then be in line to get one! :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I am not sure about that.......
Think about it....If Samsung could produce something like what is in that video for the mass market. They would have been blasting the advertising with it....they could have stole millions in sales from Apple if people knew a flexible screen phone just around the corner. There hasn't been anything in the news about an upcoming product from Samsung with a flexible screen. I have seen those promotional videos from Samsung for their flexible screens....they have been around a while. But as far as a mass produced flexible screen phone......i will believe it when I see it......then be in line to get one! :)

Yeah I wasn't being serious :)

There was news about a samsung device with a screen that bends around the edges fairly recently I believe though.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah I wasn't being serious :)

There was news about a samsung device with a screen that bends around the edges fairly recently I believe though.
Sorry MRU....i thought your were having buyers remorse. Was try to cheer you up! :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
For some reason, I'd really love a bendable screen in my phone, but what are the real world benefits of one of these over a traditional AMOLED? Will it still need glass in front of it to support the digitiser?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
In related news, LG looking to beat Samsung to market with LG Z (or G Flex) flexible display smartphone: http://phandroid.com/2013/10/03/lg-gz-rumor/

Apparently the phone has already gone into mass production with an expected launch date of either later this month, or according to the WSJ, some time in November.

OB-ZD432_LGPHON_G_20131003001956.jpg

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
In related news, LG looking to beat Samsung to market with LG Z (or G Flex) flexible display smartphone: http://phandroid.com/2013/10/03/lg-gz-rumor/

Apparently the phone has already gone into mass production with an expected launch date of either later this month, or according to the WSJ, some time in November.

If phones with flexible screens looked like this, I don't understand the point. It would be uncomfortable when you put in your pocket and would rock like a seesaw when placed on a table.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If phones with flexible screens looked like this, I don't understand the point. It would be uncomfortable when you put in your pocket and would rock like a seesaw when placed on a table.

Agree.

Shatter proof feature, maybe?

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

Maybe, it's meant for your back pocket; kind of shaped for someone's rear (of course, you would have to face it inward). Also, since it's flexible, you can actually sit on it and not break the screen?;)

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

Say what .... I took it as a picture showing that chassis plus screen is flexible (but not that its actually shaped like that). Please tell me that's not what the final design is going to look like.

Epic fail

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I can see how a (more or less) unbreakable screen can be useful of course. But for normal day-to-day use, will a phone like this really be that pleasant to use? I can't imagine how touching a flexable plastic surface would be very satisfying compared to touching a glass surface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.