Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Under all previous versions of OS X I always felt the need to install another browser to supplement Safari. For a time being both Firefox and Chrome were my go to browsers. However, under Mavericks GM, Safari seems by far and away the best it has ever been. Smooth scrolling, low cpu usage, lightning fast loading speeds, low memory usage with multiple tabs etc etc.

Anyone else having significantly improved experience with Safari under Mavericks GM.

X-Ravin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Under all previous versions of OS X I always felt the need to install another browser to supplement Safari. For a time being both Firefox and Chrome were my go to browsers. However, under Mavericks GM, Safari seems by far and away the best it has ever been. Smooth scrolling, low cpu usage, lightning fast loading speeds, low memory usage with multiple tabs etc etc.

Anyone else having significantly improved experience with Safari under Mavericks GM.

Yeah, once I got my Chrome data sync'd in with iCloud I find I'm using Safari almost exclusively on 10.9

zamudiovsky

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I changed to Safari ever since I bought my MBP, I used to be a Chrome user on Windows but Safari on a MBP is much more faster plus it looks more natural to use Safari than any other browser on a Mac.

I do keep Chrome installed because sometimes to download a 1+ GB file from Mega you can't do it with Safari, or if I'm looking for airfare tickets and have to delete cookies to get the best deal (it does work) I have another browser and I don't have to delete my main browser's cookies haha

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I use Safari now since it's so polished but I'm about to drop it because they coded it to where ad blockers cannot block ads on YouTube. It has been this way since mid Safari 5 and is seriously a deal breaker.

Call me too serious but YouTube ads are some of the worst and most annoying ads out there.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I'm on 10.8 and Firefox right now (earlier Chrome but some bug in that one keeps causing high CPU load and a hot, poor MacBook Pro here), but this is what I expect to do as well once moving to 10.9. It's right there with top performance and features to satisfy me now. :)

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
No glims support means no custom search engines. I may well switch to Firefox over this unless there's some way to achieve this in Mavericks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 18.13.12.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 18.13.12.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 171

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
I use Safari now since it's so polished but I'm about to drop it because they coded it to where ad blockers cannot block ads on YouTube. It has been this way since mid Safari 5 and is seriously a deal breaker.

Call me too serious but YouTube ads are some of the worst and most annoying ads out there.

This. I couldn't use a browser without:

• Full adblock
  • Userscripts support (not sure if they have an extension for this)
  • Pinned tabs (WTF Apple?)

Also the lack of tabs of top annoys me.
----
Looks like Adblock Plus plans a Safari extension: http://goo.gl/HqnCEV

Last edited:

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I've had quite a few issues with Safari so far on GM. When it works it's nice and fluid, but occasionally I'll try to two-finger-swipe back and it'll kind of get stuck.

Sometimes, scrolling using the trackpad gesture just stops working and pages stop responding to clicks. I can still scroll with the arrow keys, though.

I'm sure these bugs will get fixed, though.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I've had quite a few issues with Safari so far on GM. When it works it's nice and fluid, but occasionally I'll try to two-finger-swipe back and it'll kind of get stuck.

Sometimes, scrolling using the trackpad gesture just stops working and pages stop responding to clicks. I can still scroll with the arrow keys, though.

I'm sure these bugs will get fixed, though.

What machine are you on (year)? Did you clean install or upgrade?

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
What machine are you on (year)? Did you clean install or upgrade?

MBP Retina, upgraded from ML.

Like I said, when it works Safari is clearly much faster than before. Those bugs don't happen too often, but when they do it's really, really annoying.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Chrome is a fine browser on any platform but not as good as Safari on OS X.

bwat47

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
I just took the plunge and installed mavericks. Safari is indeed massively improved. Much more responsive and stable, way better scrolling (especially on sites like Facebook), and I'm very glad they finally got rid of that atrocious 3d topsides design, that was way too bloated for a new tab page.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new autocorrect spellcheck, sometimes useful sometimes annoying.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012

I use adblock on apples official extension page and have no problems with youtube ads. I'm also running youtube center and it get's rid of the horrible buffering that youtube has implemented. It nows buffers continually like it used to.

drew627

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013

I used to use adblock but ever since the new Safari it hasn't been able to block every ad. But then after a little research I realized that adblock was a bad thing, especially for youtubers. I was essentially robbing, along with other adblock users, my favorite youtubers' livelihood. I decided to uninstall adblock for good and I've grown indifferent to ads since.

bwat47

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
I used to use adblock but ever since the new Safari it hasn't been able to block every ad. But then after a little research I realized that adblock was a bad thing, especially for youtubers. I was essentially robbing, along with other adblock users, my favorite youtubers' livelihood. I decided to uninstall adblock for good and I've grown indifferent to ads since.

The new safari makes ads less annoying anyway, for example it doesn't auto play video ads to save power.

Last edited:

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
MBP Retina, upgraded from ML.

Like I said, when it works Safari is clearly much faster than before. Those bugs don't happen too often, but when they do it's really, really annoying.

I'm also on a MBP Retina, but it's been flawless. However, I did a clean install. Might want to consider it.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW

Not every Youtube video or Youtuber make profits from advertising and the ones who do always give a shoutout.

I'm sorry but there are much better ways to implement ads than forcing me to watch a god**** Wells Fargo or IBM advertisement.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
What method did you use to sync your Chrome data with iCloud?

I am almost sure what he meant was that he transferred the data(like history, bookmarks, etc) from chrome to safari in 10.9, then switched to use safari exclusively.

X-Ravin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
I am almost sure what he meant was that he transferred the data(like history, bookmarks, etc) from chrome to safari in 10.9, then switched to use safari exclusively.

Actually I use the iCloud control panel in Windows which installs an extension to Chrome which syncs data. Don't know if you can do it in OSX, I'm assuming you can though.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I still need Chrome. I have seen Safari totally choke on some websites that Firefox, Chrome, even IE work just fine on. To the point that a drop-down box would take nearly 45seconds to populate and the whole browser is unresponsive until it does. Its a but that has existed since at least version 6, and still exists. I've filed bug reports but never is taken care of.

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
I am very impressed with Safari in Mavericks. I had to remove glims as it was causing all sorts of issues. The only change I would like to make is changing the background in top sites. I like a darker background but other than that, I am totally happy with it. ;)

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
I could but that's a separate app passing a search to Safari, which is inelegant to my mind. I'm looking for the search engines to be integrated into the browser.

I guess, but it's actually faster. If I want to search Wikipedia for something, it's easier to use Cmd+Space to bring up Alfred than have to open a browser before I start typing. Have you ever used Alfred before?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.