Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
Hey guys, I'm sure you will have some good tips here.
I was wondering what the best free mac games are.

I'm thinking for example Team Fortress 2, League of Legends and Lord of the Rings online?

I guess freemium could count but the free part of it has to be solid. No facebook-style games please...

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I consider the Humble Indie Bundle games to be almost free. I usually pay about a buck :p and I get 4-5 Mac-compatible games. Great deals throughout. I did spend $6 for the last bundle to get Fez, though.

For games that are actually free: Cave Story. MMMMMMMMMDAMN.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Shadowgun: Deadzone
Dota 2
Akaneiro Demon Hunters
Deepworld
Solstice Arena
Realm of the Mad God

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
league of legends.

i am surprised how addicting it can be. but the games take forever.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
According to a Quake Live dev, SyncError, the QL player population has remained stable, although Quake Live is more popular in Europe than in North America, for some reason. I never have a problem finding a Clan Arena or FFA game. They are always enhancing the game and they recently released three new CTF maps.

I absolutely love Quake Live. There is no other current FPS that is as fast as QL or that requires so much skill to make it into the top ranks. If you're interested in who the best players are, you can check out the rankings at http://www.qlranks.com

I really should try this out. It's been a long time since I played Quake III Arena. I used to love that game.

Is Quake Live popular? Do many people still play?

----------
Some fun Quake Live vids.

Still Alive

Still Alive 2

PUBMASTERS RETURN! EPIC QUAKE LIVE MOVIE!

Best Quake live video ever! Flagaholics CTF

QuakeCon 2013 Intel Duel Masters Top 5 Pro Plays and highlights

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I enjoyed checking out the videos. That brings back a lot of good memories. I'll have to check out QuakeLive sometime soon.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
Hey, guys, thanks for the feedback. So far, I have these ones (according to this thread and other places I've asked the question):

- Team Fortress 2
- DotA 2
- League of Legends
- Hearthstone
- Cave Story
- Spelunky
- Dwarf Fortress
- Marathon
- Quake Live
- RC Mini Racers
- Radiant Defense
- Warzone
- Real Racing 2
- Robotek
- Shadowgun: Deadzone
- Akaneiro Demon Hunters
- Deepworld
- Solstice Arena
- Realm of the Mad God
- Battle for Wesnoth
- Warsow

Do you see any other big one I may have missed?

I will strat downloading them all tonight and select 15 or 20 max to grab some gameplay videos and describe them a little.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Couple of free onliners.

Rift
Drakensang

Both free to play, no £70 odd software to buy as in The Elder Scrolls Online plus a monthly subscription, you throw money at them if you wish, but you do not have to.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Sadly, the Mac version of Quake Live has been discontinued. You can still play it via Bootcamp or use CrossOver or Wine to play it on OS X or Linux. It plays much better in CrossOver than in Wine.

Hey, guys, thanks for the feedback. So far, I have these ones (according to this thread and other places I've asked the question):

- Team Fortress 2
- DotA 2
- League of Legends
- Hearthstone
- Cave Story
- Spelunky
- Dwarf Fortress
- Marathon
- Quake Live
- RC Mini Racers
- Radiant Defense
- Warzone
- Real Racing 2
- Robotek
- Shadowgun: Deadzone
- Akaneiro Demon Hunters
- Deepworld
- Solstice Arena
- Realm of the Mad God
- Battle for Wesnoth
- Warsow

Do you see any other big one I may have missed?

I will strat downloading them all tonight and select 15 or 20 max to grab some gameplay videos and describe them a little.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Couple of free onliners.

Rift
Drakensang

Both free to play, no £70 odd software to buy as in The Elder Scrolls Online plus a monthly subscription, you throw money at them if you wish, but you do not have to.

Rift has a Mac version now?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
No it does not and this is a thread regarding Mac games, I play games under Bootcamp and the lines get blurred sometimes, sorry.

No problem. I just didn't know if they'd released a Mac version and rather than bother to look it up figured I'd ask you where you play it. That's a game I've been wanting to try myself for a long time but I'm still stuck on WoW and recently have been doing a little nostalgia trip in EverQuest as well. It looks like a fun game though and I've begrudgingly kept bootcamp around for such occasions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.