Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Looking for somthing to get the girlfriend that she can take notes on, and surf the internet on. I've been looking for used G4 I and Powerbooks, but they are just to expensive (I'm a poor college student).

she wants a 12" computer to carry around to class and take notes on. She is not very computer savvy, and rarely does anything but word processing and interenet/email. Its hard for me to shop for a computer to do such minor things, because I am a pretty heavy computer user.

I've seen some iBook G3's around for pretty cheap, would it be worth it to get one, and if so, what processor speed should I look for? Thanks!

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
You could so that kind of stuff on a clamshell iBook if you wanted to, and those things are relatively old.

You could probabaly pick up a dualUSB iBook (500 mhz) for less than 400 bucks. Might need a little bit of memory, but it'd be good for note-taking.(Same machine, and same purpose I used freshman year of college)

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Eidorian said:
iBook G3's are reaching massive price drops.

http://www.techrestore.com/xcart/home.php?cat=254

iBook G3/700 CD 12-inch
$369.99

Just bump it up to 512 MB of RAM. Get Tiger and you're ready to go. It comes with 10.2.8 if you're willing to live with it.

Holy Cow! I bought an iBook G3/700 CDRW/DVD 12" for $550 back in July, sold it 2 months later. They keep on bottoming out!

I bet you could probably find a 500 mhz machine for 300 bucks or less than.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
One caution I would advise you on is the battery. If the battery is still the original, then you may need to replace it rather soon. That's just the nature of being that old.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Yeah, I already thought about the battery. Thats a big thing for her.

How would say a G3 800 Dual USB Powerbook stack up to a P3 1.2ghz Dell Inspiron? When I got my new Pbook I gave her my dell. She uses it in her apartment, but its too big and heavy to carry around, plus the battery doesn't hold a charge for more than 30 minutes. Would there be a noticeable lag? I know that the OS will perform better (The dell is running XP) but what about other things?

I really want to get her a G4 867 or 1.2, but I just don't have the money :(

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Just found this on Powerbookguy.com

G4 1Ghz Dual USB iBook 256MB/30GB/CD/12.1" (refurb) - $549.95

sounds like a good deal, no?

Does powerbookguy.com have a good rep?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
BiikeMike said:
Just found this on Powerbookguy.com

G4 1Ghz Dual USB iBook 256MB/30GB/CD/12.1" (refurb) - $549.95

sounds like a good deal, no?

Does powerbookguy.com have a good rep?
Yeah, Powerbookguy has some good reputation around here. What's the maximum spending limit? You're pretty close to being able to buy a refurbished iBook from Apple. The battery on that thing is more than likely new and you get a 1-year warranty like it was new.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Eidorian said:
Yeah, Powerbookguy has some good reputation around here. What's the maximum spending limit? You're pretty close to being able to buy a refurbished iBook from Apple. The battery on that thing is more than likely new and you get a 1-year warranty like it was new.

well, this is above the spending limit, I REALLY want to keep it under $500. I know thats asking a lot, but I don't have a lot of money, and I want to get her somthing she'll really enjoy and get practical use out of instead of some jewlery she'll wear once a year!

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
One thing I've noticed that's gone unmentioned is the fact that G3 White iBooks have known logic board issues... ie they're known for failing. I don't think I'd take a risk on one of those without some type of replacement guarantee/warrantee...

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Rocksaurus said:
One thing I've noticed that's gone unmentioned is the fact that G3 White iBooks have known logic board issues... ie they're known for failing. I don't think I'd take a risk on one of those without some type of replacement guarantee/warrantee...

Thanks for crushing my dreams!

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Rocksaurus said:
Isn't it better to know now than when your logic board fails and you have to pay more to replace it? :)

Yeah, I guess so ;)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Rocksaurus said:
Isn't it better to know now than when your logic board fails and you have to pay more to replace it? :)
However, if you get a recent enough iBook with a bad logic board, you could theoretically qualify for a replacement. At the very least, you'd get a new logic board.

Apple's recall for the logic board calls for three years from first purchase. So if you make the following 2 assumptions, you would still be qualified.

1. The iBook has a SN that falls in the range.
2. The iBook was first purchased on the day that it was introduced.

With those assumptions made, all G3/900mhz iBooks are covered. Also, the G3/800/CD model iBook would be covered as well.

If you disregard assumption 2, many 700 and 800 mhz iBooks may also be covered.

I'm guessing that iBooks that can still qualify are still selling for higher prices. As soon as the iBook doesn't qualify, I bet the price drops.

ft

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
man, thats hard to say, if you could find like a 800MHz/900MHz G3 with a replaced logic board, that would be best, although I've heard somewhere that they replaced the logic board with another one that just the same so the problems can come back :-/ not sure though...

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
I really want to find a g4 book for her, but I just don't have the cash :( I figure if she's gonna have it for awhile, I may as well get her somthing a little nicer. I dunno...... I'm just trying to be a good boyfriend here, we'll see what happens

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
The replaced boards are just fixed boards that already broke and have the same problem. The logic board problem as I understand results from the ATI GPU seperating from the logic board over time. I advice against getting a g3 ibook, perhaps one of the pismo powerbooks would be good :) If the ibook is used a lot for any peroid of time it'll probably fail

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Last year my girlfriend got an old orange "toilet seat" 300 mhz ibook to replace her mid 90ies pc notebook. We added an airport card (yes, you can put one in those things!) so she can connect to my wireless network, check mail, print etc. It is running 10.3.7. She absolutely loves this computer because it looks so sweet. Recently she bought a new battery for about 170 € and due to the low power consumption of the ibook this thing last for 6 hours+. My girlfriend seems to do the same things like yours with her computer. I think you'll find one of those machines for less than 250 bucks.

Just thought I'd share some user expierience;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.