Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is moving its current Palisades Apple Store located in West Nyack, New York to Nanuet, New York, approximately three miles away.

The Apple Store will be in an open-air center known as "The Shops at Nanuet," which has recently undergone an extensive redevelopment. The mall's grand opening will take place on Thursday, October 10, which is the same day the Apple Store will open. In addition to an Apple Store, the center includes a number of other stores and restaurants, along with a movie theater.

nanuet.jpg
At its store openings and relocations, Apple typically hands out commemorative T-shirts to the first 1,000 customers to visit the store. Customers can begin making reservations for workshops and Genius Bar appointments at the new Nanuet store today.

(Thanks, Scott!)

Article Link: Relocated New York Apple Store in Nanuet to Open Thursday

iMarc845

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Rockland County, NY
Upscale

I live in Rockland County and have followed the development of The Shops At Nanuet (TSAN) extensively. There has been a lot of secrecy about some of the stores moving in. The fact that the Apple store was relocating from the Palisades Mall to TSAN was only made semi-public last week; many people are still unaware of the change.

TSAN was built at the site of the old Nanuet Mall which fell into disrepair and desertion after the Palisades Mall opened some ten years ago. Now it's the other way around; Palisades is losing occupants to TSAN.

The new location is being touted as an upscale, modern shopping attraction as opposed to a mall. It makes sense that Apple would want to be associated with the new, chic conglomeration of hip stores that TSAN claims to be.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I live in Rockland County and have followed the development of The Shops At Nanuet (TSAN) extensively. There has been a lot of secrecy about some of the stores moving in. The fact that the Apple store was relocating from the Palisades Mall to TSAN was only made semi-public last week; many people are still unaware of the change.

TSAN was built at the site of the old Nanuet Mall which fell into disrepair and desertion after the Palisades Mall opened some ten years ago. Now it's the other way around; Palisades is losing occupants to TSAN.

The new location is being touted as an upscale, modern shopping attraction as opposed to a mall. It makes sense that Apple would want to be associated with the new, chic conglomeration of hip stores that TSAN claims to be.

Similar to Walt Whitman Mall on Long Island. Now it's "Walt Whitman Shops" with lots of new stores and restaurants as well as a big new Apple store.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
This is my hometown Apple Store. I hated going to the Palisades Mall to go to the Apple Store. I'm very happy to learn of this relocation. If I didn't have to work I'd love to be at the grand opening. I'm looking forward to checking out this new shopping center soon.

Good riddance Palisades!

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Palisades was my local store too, but I try to avoid it...I usually drove to woodcliff lake nj.

Hopefully the new Nanuet store will work out nice but I'm sure the Shops will be mobbed for a while

mackid1993

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2009
This move is so much more convenient for everyone who lives in Rockland. The mall store was such a pain that it made more sense to go to Woodcliff Lake.

iMarc845

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Rockland County, NY
Puzzled

I don't understand all the negative comments about the Palisades Mall. Considering how busy it is, I'd say those folks are in the minority.

The threat posed by The Shops At Nanuet (TSAN) is forcing Palisades to undergo a face-lift with some new design elements. But I'm really not sure the shopping experience at TSAN will be all that different from Palisades. This is most true in regards to the Apple Store. After all, virtually every Apple Store has the same products, a similar layout and almost identical décor.

As for convenience, the new store is about three miles further away from my home. That's my $0.02; YMMV.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
PM was a fun place to go and I hate going to malls. The fact I could grab some clothes, eat dinner at any of the 20+ restaurants, and then grab beer and wings at BWW or play some games at D&B made it a fun experience.

Lately the new trend is to remove or reposition the word mall and call it with something fancier.

In NJ - I call it the Bridgewater Mall, but I think the correct saying is Bridgewater Commons. And Short Hills Mall is "The Mall at Short Hills"

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
I can't imagine the holiday rush at this store. I wonder if they'll have ample parking. Palisades was a nightmare to get in and out of but at least parking could be found somewhere. Can't imagine this will be the case for the new shops at nanuet. I never disliked palisades but it did seem that it was falling behind a bit. I'm not sure why people were saying it's so terribly hard to get to that apple store. I don't even live in New York (have family in Rockland) and I knew that the easiest way to get to the apple store was through the cheesecake factory mall entrance. It was a straight shot from there to the apple store.

Btw I think the mall opened closer to 16-17 years ago. I remember going in 98 to the rainforest cafe when it was still there. Great mall still though.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Hello fellow Rockland people,

I can stop by this store on my way home from work which is cool.

And while there stop at Fairway. I've never been to one but according to people who have it's apparently as if God himself stocks the shelves every day with the most delicious foods this world has ever seen and then he rubs your shoulders while you're on the checkout line.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC

What's feeling on putting a "lifestyle center" in a cold weather climate in that part of the country? In Mpls/St. Paul we had 2 constructed in the last decade and I won't visit one from Sept-April. To me it just doesn't make sense.

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
Palisades was my local store too, but I try to avoid it...I usually drove to woodcliff lake nj.

Hopefully the new Nanuet store will work out nice but I'm sure the Shops will be mobbed for a while

I was working in West Nyack for the last two years while living in Montvale. The Woodcliff Lake store was far and away my favorite. Primarily because Tice's Corner was a mile from my condo, and secondarily because it was a lot quieter than the Pallisades.

Loved the PM but that Apple store was always packed on weekends. My wife and I spent many a Saturday at the mall.

I have been interested in the TSAN project for a while, but we had to relocate before we could see it open. I'm interested to see how the traffic will be on 59.

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
NJ

I live in Hillsdale (town next to WCL), just moved here from New City two years ago, and still when I lived in New City would prefer Tices.

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
I work in New City, which is irrelevant to anything.
When're they shutting down the palisades?

jonhaxor

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Hello fellow Rockland people,

I can stop by this store on my way home from work which is cool.

And while there stop at Fairway. I've never been to one but according to people who have it's apparently as if God himself stocks the shelves every day with the most delicious foods this world has ever seen and then he rubs your shoulders while you're on the checkout line.

Fairway is great - got introduced to it living on west side in NYC, and there was one over in Ridgewood close to our first apt in NJ .. and no - that's not God rubbing your shoulders - that's the pastor from All Souls who lives around the corner :)

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I left it too late to take a half day at work, so I figured I'd just run out at lunchtime. I got there at 11:20. No more shirts. The guy said they gave away all 1,000 in 20 minutes! Insane! I bet half of them just grabbed the shirt and kept on going. I can't image 1,000 people went in and out of there in 20 minutes; considering they only allow about 100 in the store at a time.

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I live in Hillsdale (town next to WCL), just moved here from New City two years ago, and still when I lived in New City would prefer Tices.

I always preferred Tice's. I buy most of my apple stuff there, I picked up my iPhone 5s there a few weeks ago.

Nanuet was way more convenient to go to before work for the Air and it actually was a really nice store, will probably keep going. Tice's parking is generally terrible, so how much worse can Nanuet be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.