Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Change Topic.

Ok, I know you will probly make fun of me for saying this. Why did we not ever go BACK to the moon. We had a shuttle and a crew ready and trained, but all the sudden we just *dropped* the whole project. I honestly think that there was something seen on the dark side of the moon (the side we never see) that pretty much told us not to come back. What other reason would we just abort a whole mission that was ready to go?

I also remember that NASA used to show live space cameras from shuttles on TV. Then, one day, that too just *stopped*. I mean, what the hell is up with that? I used to enjoy watching stuff in space.

If you do a search on google about dark side of the moon aliens or something, there are SOOO many photos, evidence, even voice recordings that made me believe in what I believe.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: Change Topic.

Originally posted by MacAztec
Ok, I know you will probly make fun of me for saying this. Why did we not ever go BACK to the moon. We had a shuttle and a crew ready and trained, but all the sudden we just *dropped* the whole project. I honestly think that there was something seen on the dark side of the moon (the side we never see) that pretty much told us not to come back. What other reason would we just abort a whole mission that was ready to go?

Hmm... possibly because going to the moon costs billions of dollars and it wasn't worth it.
I also remember that NASA used to show live space cameras from shuttles on TV. Then, one day, that too just *stopped*. I mean, what the hell is up with that? I used to enjoy watching stuff in space.

It never stopped. They even have their own TV network. Haven't you seen NASA TV?
If you do a search on google about dark side of the moon aliens or something, there are SOOO many photos, evidence, even voice recordings that made me believe in what I believe.
There is even more evidence for Bigfoot and Elvis being alive, although just because it exists doesn't mean I'd necessarily be inclined to trust it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Change Topic.

i saw signs and now i believe in crop circles. dont believe everything you read, especially things from the internet.

iJon

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
alex

No, the project was already funded. The shuttle was built and the crew was ready. everything was READY. But suddenly the whole thing was cancelled.

And as for NASA TV, they have it, but they dont show the stuff that they used to.

Dont get me wrong on the evidence crap, but just read about it!

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Nixon saw the space race as so much wasted cash-flow, after we made just one landing. He had no vision of it leading to new techologies or income models.

And Nixon knew what he was talking about, as he talked to the many paintings hanging throughout the White House (who also warned of lunar aliens).

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: alex

No, the project was already funded. The shuttle was built and the crew was ready. everything was READY. But suddenly the whole thing was cancelled.

A few points:

1) Space vehicles have a limited lifespan. Most can only be launched once. Just because the ride to the moon was already paid for (and I'm completely unfamiliar with this aborted moon mission or whatever it was) doesn't mean it would have been free from that point on to go, since going would have sacrificed the vehicle's use at another time.

2) Lots of things are ready and then suddenly cancelled. What makes you think this moon mission was any different from anything else? Or is everything a conspiracy?

3) Congress wants to get its money's worth from NASA. If they were to discover that NASA financed another extremely expensive (and anticlimactic) trip to the moon without having a worthwhile reason to go, they would ask questions. Knowing this, what good for NASA would another moon mission be besides a probable funding cut?

4) What evidence do you have for alien life on the dark side of the moon?

4a) If there were alien life on the dark side of the moon, for what reason would the government supress knowledge of it?

4b) Would the government be capable of supressing knowledge of it for as long as it has, if at all?

4c) Even assuming an explanation for all of this could be pieced together, what makes this explanation less far-fetched and more likely than the much simpler explanation of "NASA just decided to change its mind for no critically important reason."?
And as for NASA TV, they have it, but they dont show the stuff that they used to.

What stuff are you referring to? They show pretty much everything, from the inside of the shuttle to the view of the earth out the shuttle windows to astronauts in space (via the cameras in their suits).

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Re: alex

Originally posted by alex_ant
4a) If there were alien life on the dark side of the moon, for what reason would the government supress knowledge of it?
Because Elvis asked them to, he is after all the US ambassador to the dark side aliens.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
There are so many reasons to go into space that is beneficial to humankind:

• A possible answer to the prospect of overcrowding

• The manufacture of drugs and antibiotics in a weightless and sterile environment

• Collection/distribution of new types of fuel sources (radioactive, solar or even antimatter) to alleviate the problems associated with fossil fuels

• New inventions (velcro was developed as a direct result from the space race, as were many types of polymers)

• Learning more of our world from the lessons of others - Venus' runaway greenhouse effect, Titan's ice age, or Mars' thinning atmosphere

• Seeing our planet from a different perspective - from orbit - to repair or alter hazards to our environment (charting the migration of algal blooms through prolific fishing zones, or locating incidences of crops with fungal infections using infra-red technology in space, so treatment can begin)

The advent of the International Space Station is not only a symbol of goodwill and co-operation to the world's space powers, but also acts a springboard to future important missions to the Moon, Mars, and - perhaps - beyond. Past missions have been deemed "cost prohibitive", compared to the cheaper option of using the ISS as a launch platform in the future - the energy saved by not having to make escape velocity from Earth greatly increases not only the range, but also the speed, size and amount of payload that may accompany an interplanetary flight.

The Moon may also act as a platform in future space missions - with 1/6th the gravitational pull of Earth, a large quantity of ore, and the possibility of water on the Lunar surface (collected in craters from the alleged past impacts of comets), a permanently manned base on the Moon would be instrumental to any further space exploration.

It's our inherent nature to be inquisitive. Who are we to stifle that desire in us all?

:)

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Firstly, why is anyone bothering to respond to this moron MacAztec, whose only other recent contribution has been to advocate the mass murder of every Muslim on the planet?

Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
There are so many reasons to go into space that is beneficial to humankind:

• A possible answer to the prospect of overcrowding

• The manufacture of drugs and antibiotics in a weightless and sterile environment

• Collection/distribution of new types of fuel sources (radioactive, solar or even antimatter) to alleviate the problems associated with fossil fuels

• New inventions (velcro was developed as a direct result from the space race, as were many types of polymers)

• Learning more of our world from the lessons of others - Venus' runaway greenhouse effect, Titan's ice age, or Mars' thinning atmosphere

• Seeing our planet from a different perspective - from orbit - to repair or alter hazards to our environment (charting the migration of algal blooms through prolific fishing zones, or locating incidences of crops with fungal infections using infra-red technology in space, so treatment can begin)
Your reasons for exporting our human debris into space seem less than overwhelming: Velcro? Learning what from planets in completely different orbits?

It's our inherent nature to be inquisitive. Who are we to stifle that desire in us all?
:)
On the contrary, it's in our nature to be destructive, rapacious and violent. Who are we to infect yet more of space with our diseases?

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
Great news!

Now they can fake their moon landing, just like we did, except their landing will be in color!

Seriously, maybe they could take some national pride that they are looking for and work on their human rights abuses, mass abortions, HIV problem, sweat shops, and enforce laws against mass piracy of US software, music, and DVDs.

Pete :D

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Re: Great news!

Originally posted by peter2002
Now they can fake their moon landing, just like we did, except their landing will be in color!

Seriously, maybe they could take some national pride that they are looking for and work on their human rights abuses, mass abortions, HIV problem, sweat shops, and enforce laws against mass piracy of US software, music, and DVDs.

Pete :D

Well, none of the above are going to happen (except baybe working on the HIV problem), and I'd rather have China landing men on the moon than putting money into cruise missiles, nuclear subs, etc. (not that they are mutually exclusive, but resources have to be allocated one place or another)

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Your reasons for exporting our human debris into space seem less than overwhelming: Velcro? Learning what from planets in completely different orbits?

quote:It's our inherent nature to be inquisitive. Who are we to stifle that desire in us all?

On the contrary, it's in our nature to be destructive, rapacious and violent. Who are we to infect yet more of space with our diseases?

Well, skunk is in a bad mood today...

The Chinese on the moon might trigger for NASA/western space agencies to develop more space technology. If you remember, the reason there were landings on the moon was not because Americans wanted to make sure the moon was not made of cheese, but because the Russians were making such headway in space exploration. The USA was afraid they might develop technology that would control the planet from the "top". When we landed on the moon, we realized the technology of the day was not advanced enough to start a "colony" in space/moon, and thus the space around the earth could not be controlled.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Sun Baked

Whats your problem? You have a little stupid ass remark to everything you say, trying to make the other person sound stupid.

Alex: First off, why would we NOT build a grounded space station on the moon. Its cheaper than having the ones we have in space. We can build it ONTO the moon.

Why not have a telescope on the dark side of the moon? Like the hubble, only it is completely in no light ever. Why not? Is it more important to send John Glenn up there?

As for the government knowledge, its the same reason that the crash in Roswell was not told to the people. DId you know that they had thousands of army men go out on that field shortyly after the crash, get down on their hands and knees, and pick up every single piece of debris they found? Did you know that when the crash had happened, everyone was told it WAS aliens. But then a day later the governent said it was a weather balloon. How come the crate that contained the vessel that crashed was shipped secretly by air to some place in Chicago ( I believe ).

As for the government keeping knowledge that long, Roswell has been ever longer. The government doesnt even talk about Roswell. Nothing. Why would someone be so secretive about a Weather Balloon?

I saw two program he other week on the crash. They interviewed people who cleared debris on the field, and even one of the pilots that flew the plane (with the vessel in it) to wherever it needed to be kept. Many people said that the material they found could not be cut. it was like aluminum foil; you can bend it, mold it, but once you let go it morphs back to its original shape. It cannot be cut.

As for the NASA TV question, there was an interview with NASA (on the show I watched) and they said that they will be cancelling the footage they used to show. I have not found one channel with cameras on spacemen's suits. I have satellite too.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by skunk

The USSR reached the moon too.
Any scientific advances besides Velcro? :confused:

What??????????????????????????????????????

Unless you're quoting some sort of conspiracy theory, the USSR did NOT reach the moon!!!

To quote http://www.greatachievements.com (http://www.greatachievements.org/greatachievements/ga_12_2.html):

"The technical challenges faced to build, launch, and guide spacecraft were staggering. Most of the technology developed was entirely new. Early human space flight leading up to the Apollo program required the integration of numerous technologies on a scale never before undertaken. Every major technological field was tapped. The launch and return of spacecraft, from Apollo to the Shuttle, is one of the monumental engineering triumphs in all of human history.

The need to have computers that would fit on board a spacecraft drove the development of the electronics industry. Advances enabled the development of microcomputers, small in size but great in calculation and communications capabilities, which eventually led to the burgeoning PC industry. In the biomedical field, tests on the rigors of space on astronauts provided insight into aging. Sensors that allowed doctors to monitor the astronauts' health were soon used routinely throughout the medical profession. Plastics and polymers developed for use in space had thousands of applications on Earth. As engineers learned to transport volatile fluids and gases in space, they applied this knowledge to sea and ground transportation of similar materials."

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I said "reached", not "landed men on".

UNMANNED TESTS AND LUNAR EXPLORATION

The Ye Luna program finally began to yield results. After three more launch failures, Luna 16 finally became the first successful Ye-8-5 craft on 12 September 1970, returning a few grams of soil from the Sea of Fertility. It was a remarkable achievement by any standard. In October 1970, Luna 17 landed the first successful Ye-8 rover on the Moon. The vehicle, called `Lunokhod 1' by the Soviets, lasted nine months on the lunar surface and travelled almost 11 kilometers. The USSR now claimed the Lunas were ten times cheaper than Apollo and far less risky than a manned mission.

Any more questions?
(OK, so it was more than Velcro, but are the advances (or rather, the earlier developments)listed in your quote really worth the investment? A moot point, I think)

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by skunk
I said "reached", not "landed men on".

UNMANNED TESTS AND LUNAR EXPLORATION

The Ye Luna program finally began to yield results. After three more launch failures, Luna 16 finally became the first successful Ye-8-5 craft on 12 September 1970, returning a few grams of soil from the Sea of Fertility. It was a remarkable achievement by any standard. In October 1970, Luna 17 landed the first successful Ye-8 rover on the Moon. The vehicle, called `Lunokhod 1' by the Soviets, lasted nine months on the lunar surface and travelled almost 11 kilometers. The USSR now claimed the Lunas were ten times cheaper than Apollo and far less risky than a manned mission.

Any more questions?
(OK, so it was more than Velcro, but are the advances (or rather, the earlier developments)listed in your quote really worth the investment? A moot point, I think)

Well, since this is a thread about China's manned space flight, I incorrectly assumed you meant that the USSR had made a manned moon landing.

Is the cost and risk inherent in manned space flight worth it? Well, it all depends in what you value. I would gladly forgo the trappings of our consumerist society for one that placed more value on science and basic research. Growing up my daydream was to be an astronomer on a moon-based observatory. I really thought we would be there by the 21st century, but somewhere we lost the way.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC

Oh no, its the immature newbie on the forums again.

Hahahahaha! Dude he's 50 and you're 15. I remember when I was your age and was a smarmy know-it-all. Now at going on 30 I realize that I know nothing. And I'm sure skunk at 50 is looking down at my young ass and laughing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.