PDA

View Full Version : Mbox 2 Questions

PhillStew
Dec 3, 2005, 09:00 PM
Hi all,
I am thinking of getting myself one of the new Digidesign Mbox 2's for myself this holiday season and I have a question for some of you more accomplished computer recordeing gurus.

First off, I am a drummer, and is there a way to get a mic pre amp and use S/PDIF (not really even sure what it is) and link them together to give me more than 2 xlr inputs directly into the Pro Tools software? I would hate to have to use my mixer and run the main outs into the Mbox 2.

And yes, I am kind of stuck on Pro Tools seeing as how I have a close friend with a Digi 002 Rack set up and it would be nice to be able to take my sessions to his studio.

Thanks in advance.

.:*Robot Boy*:.
Dec 3, 2005, 11:11 PM
The MBox 2 can record up to four channels simultaneously. Two of those channels are built-in, the other two can come from an external 2-channel preamp connected via S/PDIF.

FFTT
Dec 4, 2005, 01:25 AM
The only drawback to the MBox 2 is that it still uses USB 1.1 and not 2.0
which can have some latency issues. Your work is all about timing and this
may cause a few problems.

The benefit is that both you and your friend would be running ProTools 7 LE.

The other option is to buy an M-Audio Fire Wire interface and run ProTools
M-Powered. This would also allow you to track in Logic, Cubase, Live, DP as well
as ProTools.
It really depends on how many isolated tracks you want to record at the same time
and how versitile you want your system to be.

PhillStew
Dec 4, 2005, 02:54 AM
The only drawback to the MBox 2 is that it still uses USB 1.1 and not 2.0
which can have some latency issues. Your work is all about timing and this
may cause a few problems.

The benefit is that both you and your friend would be running ProTools 7 LE.

The other option is to buy an M-Audio Fire Wire interface and run ProTools
M-Powered. This would also allow you to track in Logic, Cubase, Live, DP as well
as ProTools.
It really depends on how many isolated tracks you want to record at the same time
and how versitile you want your system to be.

Well obviously the most versitle is going to be the newest M-audio stuff. The firewire 1814 is really intriguing because of it's 10 line inputs on it's rear pannel.
However, for some reason I see myself going for the Mbox and sticking it to latency. I guess my next order of business would be for you folks to help me find a good (and inexpensive) 2 Channel Mic Pre.

FFTT
Dec 4, 2005, 12:31 PM
That all depends on your definition of good and affordable.

The M-audio 1814 has 8 decent mic pre amps, so you could get by with them for a while.

Personally, I'm buying the Groove Tubes Brick, Tube DI box to have at least
one good tube channel. So there goes $399.00 just for that luxury.

I'm looking at the Focusrite Twin Trak Pro and just about everything else below that price range in a 2 channel pre amp. you need the matching PCI
card with Focurite so that's really getting to rich for my blood.

I also have a personal preference toward tubes anyway hands down.

I read countless mixed reviews about the Presonus Blue Tubes preamps
both positive and negative.

I'm also looking at the ART Gold DMPA Pro 2 channel mic pre
for another $399.99
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/180629/

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/2/8/240228.jpg

This stuff adds up quick!

Edit:

I'm finding some invaluable help over at OSXAudio.com and the bigbluelounge forums.

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/index.php

Several members there are recommending the RNP ( really nice preamp )
http://www.mercenary.com/fmrrnmp.html

The other slightly more dear best kept secret was the D.A.V. Electronic BG-1

http://www.davelectronics.com/bg1.htm

Looks like I need to find a part time job mate <">

PhillStew
Dec 4, 2005, 06:51 PM
haha, yeah, had to be a full time student and fund my computer based recording habits...Thanks for the help guys.

WinterMute
Dec 5, 2005, 05:33 AM
Currently the M-box 2 has massive problems with whine on all inputs when attached to an iMac G5 or a PowerBook in a studio environment, we think its an earthing issue, but we're still trying to resolve it.

I would go with the M-audio 1814 and Protools M-powered as a starter and see how it develops, you can always switch to Protools HD when you win the lottery....:D

Good advice from FFTT too.

PhillStew
Dec 6, 2005, 11:15 PM
Ok fellas, just a quick update. I'm pretty dead set on going with either the FW 410 or 1814. The 8 line outputs on the 410 seem a little excessive but I'm sure I could figure out a way to utilize the 10 line inputs on the back of the 1814 to get more mic coverage on my drum kit.

On another note...has anyone here actually purchased the Pro Tools M-Powered software and used it?

WinterMute
Dec 7, 2005, 03:11 AM
Haven't bought it, but have used it, it's LE without any changes.

Works like a charm.

PhillStew
Dec 7, 2005, 03:30 PM
Haven't bought it, but have used it, it's LE without any changes.

Works like a charm.

Quick FW 410 question though...

Can you only record 2 simultaneous inputs? Or would I need to step up to the FW 1814?
The 410 has 2 line ins on its back panel so in theory I could run the line outs of my mixer to it...aww who am I kidding...we all know I had rather have the 1814 haha.

Joeytpg
Dec 7, 2005, 03:45 PM
Quick FW 410 question though...

Can you only record 2 simultaneous inputs? Or would I need to step up to the FW 1814?
The 410 has 2 line ins on its back panel so in theory I could run the line outs of my mixer to it...aww who am I kidding...we all know I had rather have the 1814 haha.

you NEED the 1814...you NEED IT bud! :P hehehehhe

so the ONLY dif. between the 410 and the 1814 is that i can record only 2 simultaneous inputs with the 40 and 4 with the 1814? is that the ONLY dif?

PhillStew
Dec 8, 2005, 12:08 AM
you NEED the 1814...you NEED IT bud! :P hehehehhe

so the ONLY dif. between the 410 and the 1814 is that i can record only 2 simultaneous inputs with the 40 and 4 with the 1814? is that the ONLY dif?

From what I understand, there are also 10 line inputs on the rear of the 1814, in addition to the ADAT Lightpipe, whose use at least to me seems intriguing. In contrast, the FW 410 has 2 rear panel line level inputs where as the 1814 has 10. It is still not clear to me as to if you can use all 10 of those rear level inputs in addition to the mic pre's on the front.

Joeytpg
Dec 8, 2005, 12:19 AM
Could someone help PHillStew and me figure this out? :)

it's important to me at least because i think i'll be getting one of the two....

PhillStew
Dec 8, 2005, 10:48 AM
Could someone help PHillStew and me figure this out? :)

it's important to me at least because i think i'll be getting one of the two....

haha, these guys have been really helpful Joey, so I'm sure they'll pull through. I am also going to be purchasing one of the two as well as the PT M-Powered Software.