Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Because Google controls chrome, but the OEMS control the stock browser and can do stuff like add browser bars or defaults based on business deals. If not for the stock Android browser, OEMs may have started selling the default spot to 3rd party browsers, such as Firefox. At least this way Google has some conformity.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I hate the stock browser. Even though I have Chrome set to default, when opening links from email and various other apps they will sometimes pop up in the Samsung browser. Really annoying.

I hope they take care of this in KitKat, that and update the horrible stock SMS app.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I hate the stock browser. Even though I have Chrome set to default, when opening links from email and various other apps they will sometimes pop up in the Samsung browser. Really annoying.

I hope they take care of this in KitKat, that and update the horrible stock SMS app.

If you go into settings then applications you can disable the stock app which then forces everything to go through chrome.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
The stock browser is a part of the Android Open Source Project and can be modified to fit in with custom themes better. Samsun and HTC both use a modified variant of the stock browser in their devices.

Other OEM's must simply just include it in it's stock firm as it comes with the AOSP code.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

One of the biggest advantages of Android is the ability to set default apps. You need to clear the defaults on your stock browser (probably some combination of going to Settings > Applications > Stock Browser > Clear Defaults), then, next time you hit a link, it should ask you "what browser do you want to set as your default" and you can choose Chrome, then select "Always" and it ought to set Chrome as your default browser for launching links.

Choice.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

Google is shifting Google Voice and Messaging to Hangouts and you will be able to bypass the carrier or manufacturers bloat texting apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.