Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone have suggestions for a good feeling/looking back protector (preferably clear) that is made for the 5s? I recently made the move to caseless with a glass screen protector, but I like to rest the phone on the back and want to avoid unnecessary scratches, etc.

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Does anyone have suggestions for a good feeling/looking back protector (preferably clear) that is made for the 5s? I recently made the move to caseless with a glass screen protector, but I like to rest the phone on the back and want to avoid unnecessary scratches, etc.

BestSkinsEver Matte (wet install) or the Spigen Crystal (3-front, 1-back in 3 pieces) at Amazon wih lifetime replacements.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the links. Have either of you had issues with the back protector bubbling up easily or coming off the from the surface? I had a three piece one that I put on for maybe 10 minutes and took off, because the edge kept getting caught and peeled the skin off. It was a little freebie one, so it was no harm no foul. I guess I could always return to amazon if this was the case

graphiteevo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

I recommend matte Bestskinsever or ghost armor, looks amazing on any color 5s :)

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Thanks for the links. Have either of you had issues with the back protector bubbling up easily or coming off the from the surface? I had a three piece one that I put on for maybe 10 minutes and took off, because the edge kept getting caught and peeled the skin off. It was a little freebie one, so it was no harm no foul. I guess I could always return to amazon if this was the case

I didn't have any issues with the Spigen.. It's cut just a TAD smaller, so it's a lot easier to install than say a cheap eBay rear protector.

again, I only removed mines because it left a glare with my clear snap on case. (almost like there was water under my case), but as soon as I took my case off, you couldn't even tell a rear protector was installed.

jw6961

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
+1 for the BestSkinsEver Matte.. Put one on the back of my 5S last week & it's great!

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The Spigen is fine for a short time. However, after a few weeks you will notice a lot of small scratches on it. Funny that the front screen protector doesn't scratch easily, but the back will get a lot of visible scratches, even just taking it out of your pocket. I guess that's why they put one in for free with the screen protectors.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I got a clear case. I'm very happy with it. Took me a while to find, but it's just what I wanted.

Thin, yet thicker than a shield so it'll provide some protection. Also perfectly clear so it doesn't take away from appearance. Best of all $5. Should've taken some better pics.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Another vote here for Bestskinsever. I have the matte back and sides, and i love them, even fits with most cases if you want, just not super tight, or snap on cases

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I got a clear case. I'm very happy with it. Took me a while to find, but it's just what I wanted.

Thin, yet thicker than a shield so it'll provide some protection. Also perfectly clear so it doesn't take away from appearance. Best of all $5. Should've taken some better pics.

[url=http://s13.postimg.org/aq4znjzg7/IMG_1949.jpg]Image[/url]

[url=http://s13.postimg.org/538mq2wxj/IMG_1952.jpg]Image[/url]

[url=http://s13.postimg.org/sewqf6b7b/IMG_1955.jpg]Image[/url]
Where did you buy this case from for $5? Thanks

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

I bought the sgp ultra crystal set.

----------

[url=http://s13.postimg.org/aq4znjzg7/IMG_1949.jpg]Image[/url]

[url=http://s13.postimg.org/538mq2wxj/IMG_1952.jpg]Image[/url]

[url=http://s13.postimg.org/sewqf6b7b/IMG_1955.jpg]Image[/url]

I have a case similar to that from spigen. Even with the case I put the sgp back protector on it.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I wonder what would be the difference in quality between this and the one you linked..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092F7LAQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1YCN99H7TYRNH

The one you linked is advertised as being scratch resistant so the case itself "may" hold up better over time. $5 one is still like scratch free so far (only 2 days).

Customer image says the $15 case is flush with the screen. The edges on the $5 one are slightly raised so you can lay it face down.

For me I don't like the logos on that one. It does seem to come with a lifetime warranty, while the $15 comes with a warranty against defects.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
The one you linked is advertised as being scratch resistant so the case itself "may" hold up better over time. $5 one is still like scratch free so far (only 2 days).

Customer image says the $15 case is flush with the screen. The edges on the $5 one are slightly raised so you can lay it face down.

For me I don't like the logos on that one. It does seem to come with a lifetime warranty, while the $15 comes with a warranty against defects.

Thank you!:apple:

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Based on popularity and price point I am leaning towards the Spigen, but the OCDesk looks pretty sharp as well.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
A back cover that is made from exotic hardwood and stays scratch free for a long time is the Bolivian Rosewood back cover from OCDesk. I have had mine on for a year and it still looks like new. It's covered with a special eco friendly oil/wax finish which gives gives the wood a very natural feel and also protects it from all kinds of elements. When it gets dirty or you spill something on it, just wipe it with a moist cloth and it's like new again.
Hope this helps. :)

Nice, but sold out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.