PDA

View Full Version : Best Android Launchers

rockitdog
Oct 8, 2013, 04:50 PM
I'm looking to change up my S4 and make it a bit more customized without flashing a custom rom to it. What are the best launchers out there? I just downloaded apex launcher and am curious as to what the diffrrence between the free and paid version is.

Saturn1217
Oct 8, 2013, 04:53 PM
Back when I was choosing between custom launchers (after Launcher Pro was abandoned) I chose Nova launcher over Apex.

The developer is just really good about coming out with updates and I feel like at this point all the features work well, unlike some launchers were more specialized features are not as stable.

That said I haven't tried anything but Nova in ~1 year so things may have changed by now. But if you are looking at custom launchers that give you a stock like experience with a couple additional features I would definitely check it out.

MacRumorUser
Oct 8, 2013, 05:11 PM
Yep Nova, dodol launcher, buzz launcher, themer beta.

mclld
Oct 8, 2013, 07:46 PM
I use Nova and the developer will respond to emails, that is very cool. Not sure about the others but Nova is good

scott craft
Oct 8, 2013, 08:06 PM
Nova prime is excellent.

Assault
Oct 8, 2013, 09:12 PM
Nova is probably the most widely used launcher out there. It is a preferred one with many developers who add it into their ROM's.

nyc999
Oct 8, 2013, 09:30 PM
another vote for Nova. Very smooth and replaces the ugly touchwiz interface nicely.

sarcosis
Oct 8, 2013, 10:16 PM
Nova and Apex is what I use. I paid versions add more transitions and some extra features. It's in the description of the play store for each of the launchers.

Stuntman06
Oct 9, 2013, 12:01 AM
I'm using Nova Prime and highly recommend it.

F123D
Oct 9, 2013, 01:04 AM
I tried a bunch. Always went back to Nova Prime.

Appelschil
Oct 9, 2013, 06:44 AM
I used nova but now i use dodol launcher only. Really a complete launcher with themes etc

onthecouchagain
Oct 9, 2013, 07:04 AM
This touchwiz is afraid of me.

I have seen its true face. The homescreens are extended gutters and the gutters are full of bloat, and when the drains finally scab over, all the apps will drown.

The accumulated filth will foam up about their waists and all the launchers will look up and shout, "Save us!"

... And I'll look down and whisper... Nova.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/features/watchmen_trailer/Watchmen45.jpg

MacRumorUser
Oct 9, 2013, 10:20 AM
I used nova but now i use dodol launcher only. Really a complete launcher with themes etc

As a bit of note for those that don't know.

Dodol Launcher unlike other launchers actually supports things like HTC's own Sense 5 widgets too.

Faux Carnival
Oct 9, 2013, 10:46 AM
If I had an S4, I'd definitely use Cyanogenmod.

Jibbajabba
Oct 9, 2013, 11:07 AM
That's a rom, not a launcher :)

chagla
Oct 9, 2013, 11:11 AM
smartlauncher.
launcher 8.

very fast and something different from usual row of icons. not that it's bad or anything. give these two a try. as others have mentioned already, NOva and Apex are also excellent choices.

Faux Carnival
Oct 9, 2013, 11:13 AM
That's a rom, not a launcher :)

Lol, I know that. What I tried to say is I wouldn't waste time with launchers. :)

rocknblogger
Oct 9, 2013, 11:18 AM
I just discovered Next 3D launcher. Very cool and very smooth. There's a lite version that you can try for 84 hours (yeah weird number) before buying it. Normally I don't like gimmicky stuff but this one is very cool.

Mochi Hana
Oct 9, 2013, 12:02 PM
I like Nova, but I'm currently using Action Launcher Pro.

streetfoldsfive
Oct 14, 2013, 08:30 PM

I have seen its true face. The homescreens are extended gutters and the gutters are full of bloat, and when the drains finally scab over, all the apps will drown.

The accumulated filth will foam up about their waists and all the launchers will look up and shout, "Save us!"

Image (http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/features/watchmen_trailer/Watchmen45.jpg)

This may be one of the greatest posts I have seen on these forums.

viskon
Oct 14, 2013, 08:36 PM
Holo Launcher is also an excellent option. Think of it as Nova launcher without the bells and whistles.

rockitdog
Oct 14, 2013, 09:02 PM
Apex has been great so far.

Sounds Good
Oct 14, 2013, 09:16 PM
Can someone explain to a silly old iPhone user what a Launcher is?

Thanks...

MacRumorUser
Oct 14, 2013, 09:41 PM

Thanks...

The general user interface.

The home screen, layout, animations etc..

A launcher can transform these elements entirely. Different launchers have different feature sets and layouts / abilities.

Basically using a launcher could make your Samsung device with its variation of android called Touchwiz, turn into a user interface that looks and operates like iOS does in many ways.

Sounds Good
Oct 14, 2013, 09:44 PM

A launcher can transform these elements entirely. Different launchers have different feature sets and layouts / abilities.

Basically using a launcher could make your Samsung device with its variation of android called Touchwiz, turn into a user interface that looks and operates like iOS does in many ways.
Ahhh, I see. Thank you!

GR33NIE
Oct 18, 2013, 04:17 PM
Nova Prime for me, love it!

jrswizzle
Oct 18, 2013, 04:24 PM
I'm all about Nova Prime - fantastic, customizable, awesomeness.

GR33NIE
Oct 18, 2013, 04:25 PM
I'm all about Nova Prime - fantastic, customizable, awesomeness.

I tried some others but always come back to Nova :)

bembol
Oct 19, 2013, 08:18 AM
I tried some others but always come back to Nova :)

+1

It's the best launcher.

Heavy Fluid
Oct 19, 2013, 12:11 PM

Thanks...

I liken a launcher to the equivalent of a jailbreak. It allows you to set up the homescreen in a non traditional way. Much like you can download tweaks for iOS that allow you to have 5 or more icons in the dock, a scrolling dock, placing the icons where you want (Android already does this natively), tweaking the notification bar, etc. The main draw of Apex Pro, which I use, is the ability to change the actual icon!

I am currently using Apex Pro, but all this talk of Nova has me intrigued honstly. I may check this out and give it a shot.

tbayrgs
Oct 19, 2013, 02:22 PM
I liken a launcher to the equivalent of a jailbreak. It allows you to set up the homescreen in a non traditional way. Much like you can download tweaks for iOS that allow you to have 5 or more icons in the dock, a scrolling dock, placing the icons where you want (Android already does this natively), tweaking the notification bar, etc. The main draw of Apex Pro, which I use, is the ability to change the actual icon!

I am currently using Apex Pro, but all this talk of Nova has me intrigued honstly. I may check this out and give it a shot.

FYI, you can change the icons in Nova as well--one of the primary reasons I use any launcher.

sand_man
Oct 19, 2013, 02:55 PM
I liken a launcher to the equivalent of a jailbreak.

Mmmm, maybe more like Winterboard.

daveathall
Oct 19, 2013, 03:41 PM
I use and like Apex. :)

JerZyT28
Oct 20, 2013, 01:13 AM

Image (http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/features/watchmen_trailer/Watchmen45.jpg)

End thread NOW...after this answer, you need no answers

parapup
Oct 20, 2013, 01:17 AM
End thread NOW...after this answer, you need no answers

Nope the thread will end when stock 4.4 launcher aka Google Experience (http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/12/rumor-googles-new-launcher-in-android-4-4-is-called-google-experience-here-are-some-things-we-are-expecting-to-see-in-it/) is on Play Store. But till then, yes Nova does the job :)

JerZyT28
Oct 20, 2013, 01:23 AM
Nope the thread will end when stock 4.4 launcher aka Google Experience (http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/12/rumor-googles-new-launcher-in-android-4-4-is-called-google-experience-here-are-some-things-we-are-expecting-to-see-in-it/) is on Play Store. But till then, yes Nova does the job :)

Touche, I retract my statement...I am literally creaming my pants for4 the Nexus 5 and 4.4 ...but don't tell nobody that :cool:

kdarling
Oct 22, 2013, 11:10 AM

It's the app that runs whenever you click the Home button.

In iOS, it's called the Springboard, and it can be changed if you jailbreak. (Alternatives are often named as a riff off Apple's name, and are called Winterboard, Summerboard, etc.)

In Android, it's generically called a launcher, and any user can change it whenever they wish. There are many good ones, and thousands of user-made themes for them.

For examples of Android Homescreen customizations, there's a nice collection of almost 50,000 at:

http://mycolorscreen.com/

People upload what their version looks like, and usually also what pieces are needed to copy it.

Vegastouch
Oct 22, 2013, 11:21 PM
Apex and Nova. I use mostly Apex because the notification badges on Nova does not work on my GS3.

ahhboi
Oct 24, 2013, 10:21 PM
Apex and Nova. I use mostly Apex because the notification badges on Nova does not work on my GS3.What's the diiff between Nova and Apex? I had tried both free version, looks kinda same to me?
And Am I able to download both together? I'm currently have the Apex free version. A bit scare to download another launcher. lol

Vegastouch
Oct 24, 2013, 11:28 PM
What's the diiff between Nova and Apex? I had tried both free version, looks kinda same to me?
And Am I able to download both together? I'm currently have the Apex free version. A bit scare to download another launcher. lol

Really they are about the same except that Apex works better (for me) just for the fact the notification badges work on it and they dont on Nova. Both do many of the same things and both have different themes you can download.

You can download both but only use one at a time. Not sure why you would be scared to download another launcher. How else would you know what you like and dont like?
As i said they are about the same but there might be one little thing you like about one over the other.

ahhboi
Oct 25, 2013, 12:09 AM
Really they are about the same except that Apex works better (for me) just for the fact the notification badges work on it and they dont on Nova. Both do many of the same things and both have different themes you can download.

You can download both but only use one at a time. Not sure why you would be scared to download another launcher. How else would you know what you like and dont like?
As i said they are about the same but there might be one little thing you like about one over the other.Thanks, I only able to get notification badges for msg and calls, is there a way to get for whatsapp and other apps?
Does having both launchers eat more ram or battery?
Understand launchers is for home screen, whats the alternatives for lockscreen? :confused:
Sorry if my questions sounds stupid, I still trying to get used to my note3 after so many years with iOS. lol :)

MacRumorUser
Oct 25, 2013, 02:22 AM
Thanks, I only able to get notification badges for msg and calls, is there a way to get for whatsapp and other apps?
Understand launchers is for home screen, whats the alternatives for lockscreen? :confused:
Sorry if my questions sounds stupid, I still trying to get used to my note3 after so many years with iOS. lol :)

Missedit! In the play store. You can specify any app to have badges.

Fanaticalism
Oct 25, 2013, 05:58 AM
Thanks, I only able to get notification badges for msg and calls, is there a way to get for whatsapp and other apps?

For lockscreen, use widget locker.

tbayrgs
Oct 25, 2013, 11:08 AM
For lockscreen, use widget locker.

+1 Widget Locker, absolutely love it.

ahhboi
Oct 26, 2013, 08:49 PM
Missedit! In the play store. You can specify any app to have badges.Can't find this? :confused:

Vegastouch
Oct 26, 2013, 08:58 PM

iOS in no way operates like these launchers do.

Here is Nova Prime on mine as of today

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2013-10-26-01-12-03.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/Boltjolt/media/Screenshot_2013-10-26-01-12-03.png.html)

MacRumorUser
Oct 27, 2013, 02:34 AM
iOS in no way operates like these launchers do.

Here is Nova Prime on mine as of today

Image (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/Boltjolt/media/Screenshot_2013-10-26-01-12-03.png.html)

You totally miss-interpreted what I said.

I said you can get a launcher that can mimic / look and operate like iOS does.

Esperier launcher for example.

----------

Can't find this? :confused:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.igecelabs.android.MissedIt

Jibbajabba
Oct 27, 2013, 03:02 AM
Nova Prime. I love the customisable gestures. Two fingers swipe down locks my screen, one finger up launches camera, one finger down opens all quick settings in the notification and the the list goes on. Icon theming is great too. And you can backup / restore your layout. Coming from an S3, when I got my S4, Samsung and Google restored my apps, Nova the layout and my S4 looked like my S3 as if nothing happened..

Vegastouch
Oct 27, 2013, 03:15 AM
You totally miss-interpreted what I said.

I said you can get a launcher that can mimic / look and operate like iOS does.

Esperier launcher for example.

Yes, but I don't see the point of doing that. Why buy android just to have it behave like an iPhone?
But yes, that is an option.

MacRumorUser
Oct 27, 2013, 03:20 AM
Yes, but I don't see the point of doing that. Why buy android just to have it behave like an iPhone? I switched to get away from it.

But seeing the point in doing it or not doing it was NOT anything to do with what I was explaining.

I explained what a launcher does, how it operates and then went on to explain that you can even get a launcher that operates and looks like iOS.

Whether that's a good thing, bad thing is subjective and still has no baring on the point and the explanation I had given to the person asking what a launcher was / does. ;)

mib1800
Oct 28, 2013, 12:03 AM
I find Next Launcher the best. Pretty expensive though. Just keep a look out for free giveaway.