Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vodkaPT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi all,

After unlock the device, there is a small animation of the apps showing up.

well, I used to swipe very fast to other page, because I know what I want, but during the time of this animation I swipe and swipe... and nothing happens.

is really annoying. In my iPad mini I was like "ok, the specs are not very high, is acceptable." but now I see that iPhone 5s is the same.

how can I minimize this annoying issue?

tks

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
That opening animation is Ive and cook's most proud scene. You cannot disable it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You must wait for the icons to fly in before interacting with the touchscreen or home button. This may be changed in the future.

DannyDrama

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
I swapped my 5 for a non-updated one just because of this. The ONE thing apple have genuinely made worse/slower. Everything else I dealt with, even liked, but slowing the time I'm able to do anything is unacceptable.

Fission

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
I like all the animations, but agree that they should be interruptable. The programmers aren't stupid, so something tells me it's not a simple fix...Hopefully they make them interruptable without hurting the FPS.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Wow, that's animation is fast on my iphone 5. Are y'all using older phones?
There's a difference between fast and smooth. The animation is smooth, but it takes a long time to complete. It's deliberately long. It's annoying. Likewise with modal presentation and navigation controller pushing/popping.

rocat1997

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Fort Worth
I don't guess I know what y'all are talking about cause my icons fly in super fast. Split second timing. It's the same speed on mine as ios 6 animation.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Hi all,

After unlock the device, there is a small animation of the apps showing up.

well, I used to swipe very fast to other page, because I know what I want, but during the time of this animation I swipe and swipe... and nothing happens.

is really annoying. In my iPad mini I was like "ok, the specs are not very high, is acceptable." but now I see that iPhone 5s is the same.

how can I minimize this annoying issue?

tks

So what you are saying is that your time is so precious and that this fraction of a second hesitation is SO BAD that it stands between you and euphoria in your iDevice user experience? What has this world come to... smh...

sandwicher

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
So what you are saying is that your time is so precious and that this fraction of a second hesitation is SO BAD that it stands between you and euphoria in your iDevice user experience? What has this world come to... smh...

Whether time is precious or not is one issue.

However let's not also forget that Apple is the epitome of having a perfect user experience. They are so obsessed with it, and Apple will always be aware and tweak these little minute things that makes it a more enjoyable experience.

So nope, its not a valid excuse. btw, i'm a huge Apple fan. But this is kind of a step back.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I honestly have never seen a difference with IOS7 and wonder if it has to do with the amount of app icons one has to draw on the screen? I am a minimalist so everything is in folders at the top (I have two home pages and only folders on them) as I like to see my home screen wall papers. May have to try this on the wife's iPhone to see if hers is slower with actual icons presented?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
The solution is to count to 5 and then swipe, works every time.

You must wait for the icons to fly in before interacting with the touchscreen or home button. This may be changed in the future.

I swapped my 5 for a non-updated one just because of this. The ONE thing apple have genuinely made worse/slower. Everything else I dealt with, even liked, but slowing the time I'm able to do anything is unacceptable.

There's a difference between fast and smooth. The animation is smooth, but it takes a long time to complete. It's deliberately long. It's annoying. Likewise with modal presentation and navigation controller pushing/popping.

lol duration of the animation is same on all phones supported by iOS7. You're silly boy.

I have no idea what you're all going on about. I'm able to unlock and get into my apps almost instantly.

in fact, I timed myself. In the trials I did, on average, it took around 1.56 seconds to unlock and choose an app.

I have no idea why people are complaining about this duration being too long. Are you all really that impatient you can't wait 1.56 seconds?? :confused:

DannyDrama

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
I have no idea what you're all going on about. I'm able to unlock and get into my apps almost instantly.

in fact, I timed myself. In the trials I did, on average, it took around 1.56 seconds to unlock and choose an app.

I have no idea why people are complaining about this duration being too long. Are you all really that impatient you can't wait 1.56 seconds?? :confused:

I use my phone a lot. All those 1.5 seconds add up over a day, or week, or month. Any way you look at it, it's slower than iOS6.

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011

It's not about impatience as much as its about what one is accustomed to interacting with. For example, what if your car had a 1.5 second delay when you hit the gas so the car could animate the tachometer? What about your TV remote... 1.5 second delay to fly in the guide? Mouse click on your computer? 1.5 second delay so the little pointer can do a cutesie animation? These would get obnoxious quickly.

What else do you interact with all day every day that when it doesn't function as you're accustomed to you start to become agitated or annoyed. Perhaps the issue isn't the delay as much as it is the distraction these things create...?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I use my phone a lot. All those 1.5 seconds add up over a day, or week, or month. Any way you look at it, it's slower than iOS6.

It's really not even that much slower. If you are seriously so distraught in your life that your worried over <1.5 seconds of your life has now been used to unlock your phone you must have the easiest life in the world ever.

It's not about impatience as much as its about what one is accustomed to interacting with. For example, what if your car had a 1.5 second delay when you hit the gas so the car could animate the tachometer? What about your TV remote... 1.5 second delay to fly in the guide? Mouse click on your computer? 1.5 second delay so the little pointer can do a cutesie animation? These would get obnoxious quickly.

What else do you interact with all day every day that when it doesn't function as you're accustomed to you start to become agitated or annoyed. Perhaps the issue isn't the delay as much as it is the distraction these things create...?

There is a delay already when starting from zero on a tachometer. As far as TV guides, I'd love it if it only took 1.5 seconds to bring up the TV guide. It takes at least 5 for me. The only valid one is the mouse click, but now you're getting ridiculous, because clicking with a mouse is equivalent to touching your screen, not unlocking your phone; i.e. there's no zero point for a mouse click.

Also, that last sentence, "the distraction"... I have clinically diagnosed ADHD and I've been on medication for like 6-7 years (before finally quitting), but I can tell you if you find the icons flying in "distracting", you must find everything that takes over a millisecond distracting.

I'm sorry, I just do not believe this is a serious complaint or issue at all. This is a ridiculous excuse to find something stupid to whine about.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013

I enjoy reading sensible posts like this.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I agree that it's not the time wasted that's the issue, but the annoyance that a swipe on the screen didn't register, and it breaks your "flow".

BUT, I wouldn't assume that this animation is the only thing that's causing the delay -- this animation could be happening while some other delay-causing processing is going on. So, don't just assume that turning off animations (as if you could) would solve the problem.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland

I read this and laughed out loud. I thing that you should curb your use of caffeine / cocaine. a whole second (if that) and you are freaking out. Fck me I wouldn't want to be stuck in traffic with you, you must go fricking bananas and start sweating, shaking then attacking people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.