Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E1Geoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
I was wondering if anyone else is having/has had a problem I am getting. I plug my 5S into my laptop (as it needs charging) and I get the pop up on the phone asking trust/dont trust the computer (neither choice makes any difference). But as its plugged in (even before this message appears) the touchscreen becomes really unresponsive/laggy making the phone unusable. As soon as I disconnect from the laptop its fine again.

Any ideas?

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Are you using an Apple cable?
Also, what happens if you hold the metal band around the edge if the phone? Does it start working again?

E1Geoff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
Yes its connected with the cable supplied with the phone.

On you suggestion I tried a few different situations (disconnecting and reconnecting the phone each time) -

1) With case on, held in hand - response issues exist
2) With case on, lying on table - response issues exist
3) With case off, held in hand - response appears to be ok
4) With case off, lying on table - response appears to be ok

situations 1 and 2 are the scenarios that prompted this thread. But 3 and 4 I tried based on your suggestion. Clearly it appears having the case on somehow causes the problem, but how can this be?? Especially as in terms of the effect of holding the metal band around the edge in my hand, scenarios 1 and 4 should be similar as far as the phone is concerned.

I'm baffled!

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
I've seen this before when I use non-Apple USB chargers. I think it's to do with the earthing of the phone and when you hold the metal band, your providing a good earth. You may find that touching a metal part of the laptop does the same trick.
I don't have a solution though I'm afraid, just an educated guess as to why it might be happening in the first place

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.