Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
So last year I got the S3 (a couple of months before the iPhone redesign) and although it was nice to have a bigger screen the irritating lag, sub par camera, poor integration with my Mac and terrible S Voice responses meant that I sold it and got the iPhone 5.

Whilst being completely underwhelmed by this years Apple releases I decided to start the hunt for an Android device once more - HTC One, S4, LG G2, Note 3 etc but found a complete bargain brand new S4 on Amazon for £402 and couldn't resist.

WOW, what a difference a year makes - using Nova this thing is ultra responsive, seriously fast, completely customisable, and just amazing. I am completely in love. S Voice concerns no longer exist and the AI is far more intelligent, Android File Transfer allows drag and drop iTunes playlists, Dropbox is providing me with a backup camera solution (+ automation in OSX = photostream compatible) and Helium provides an iCloud style device back up. It has literally destroyed any interest in iPhones in general and I haven't used my iPad since either.

Having the ability to modify the launcher, bought a minimal icon pack etc to give the phone the feel I want, mixed in with no data download caps and a far more 'open' experience is so awesome.

Yes, it's plastic, but do I care when I'm using it? No, not at all. Great, great phone.

Just my two p (cents):D

Converted.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
just wait till it gets official 4.3 as most are saying even more improved speed and better screen calibration

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
I just cant get over how ugly TouchWiz is. Looks like it was designed by colorblind children.

AOSP > *

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
When using Nova launcher does the screen still display the missed calls and so forth when using that smartview case?

http://www.spigen.com/brands/samsung/galaxy/galaxy-s4/galaxy-s4-case-slim-armor-view.html

It does. Using a different launcher doesn't touch the lockscreen, so it's still the stock TouchWiz look and functionality. If you want to change the lockscreen, you'd need to use something like Widget Locker, Holo Locker, etc. That would (possibly) change the Smartview function.

Although...I know if you're using Widget Locker, you can still use the quickview thing where you wave your hand across the front of the phone and it lights up showing the time, missed calls, texts, etc. So using a third-party lockscreen app may not change it.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Yeah s view works the same regardless. Nova just gets rid of the awful Samsung home screen. Will upload a screen shot of my home screen using nova prime and the shaded icon pack from play store

Last edited by a moderator:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Funny you see so much difference between the S3 and S4.

Couldn't you install Nova on the S3? It's as fast as in your S4. Nova on the S4 is no different than on the S3 or any other phone for that matter. With Nova on my S3 there's no lag either.

Sub par camera on the S3? There's really no huge difference between last year's S3 and this year's S4.

S Voice will be updated in the S3 with the next 4.3 update. Already saw it when I installed the leaked 4.2.2 ROM on my S3.

All your problems with the S3 could have been easily solved, just like you have done in the S4. Helium is also available, etc.

Didn't Android File Transfer work with your S3? Cause I use it all the time with my iMac and have no problems transferring files both ways.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Sub par camera on the S3? There's really no huge difference between last year's S3 and this year's S4.

The S4 camera is much noticeably better than the S3. Although the S3 camera wasn't bad at all and was pretty good IMO. The S3 was just plagued with the need to tinker with the setting to get a good shot. An update has fixed it, but not completely. S4 was a great point n shoot out the box for me.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
My S4 is back in Plano, TX at Samsung right now. It took a nose dive on the concrete pavement and busted up the screen underneath the glass (screen wasn't even scratched). It's my fault really, I should have babied it like I do my other devices but I just didn't want to mess with that beautiful screen.

It's gonna cost $200 to get fixed but I guess I'm a believer now. Can anyone recommend any cases/screen protectors that provide the best protection but with a minimal look. I hate bulky cases.

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
Funny you see so much difference between the S3 and S4.

Couldn't you install Nova on the S3? It's as fast as in your S4. Nova on the S4 is no different than on the S3 or any other phone for that matter. With Nova on my S3 there's no lag either.

S Voice will be updated in the S3 with the next 4.3 update. Already saw it when I installed the leaked 4.2.2 ROM on my S3.

All your problems with the S3 could have been easily solved, just like you have done in the S4. Helium is also available, etc.

Didn't Android File Transfer work with your S3? Cause I use it all the time with my iMac and have no problems transferring files both ways.

Was about to post the same thing. All this was available for the S3 it's just this time it seems like he actually tried Android.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
My S4 is back in Plano, TX at Samsung right now. It took a nose dive on the concrete pavement and busted up the screen underneath the glass (screen wasn't even scratched). It's my fault really, I should have babied it like I do my other devices but I just didn't want to mess with that beautiful screen.

It's gonna cost $200 to get fixed but I guess I'm a believer now. Can anyone recommend any cases/screen protectors that provide the best protection but with a minimal look. I hate bulky cases.

Spigen Glas T Nano
Atom from Element Case but the Slim Armor from Spigen is a solid case.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
The S4 camera is much noticeably better than the S3. Although the S3 camera wasn't bad at all and was pretty good IMO. The S3 was just plagued with the need to tinker with the setting to get a good shot. An update has fixed it, but not completely. S4 was a great point n shoot out the box for me.

It is better but like I said I don't see a huge improvement. I've seen comparison shots and really only see minor improvement. I had to look real close to see those improvements actually. I just don't believe this year's smartphones have improved camera quality that much compared to last year's top phones.

Was about to post the same thing. All this was available for the S3 it's just this time it seems like he actually tried Android.

Exactly. The way he solved some of his problems could have been done exactly the same way last year with the SGS3.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Spigen Glas T Nano
Atom from Element Case but the Slim Armor from Spigen is a solid case.

Not a fan of the Atom element case, it looks too bulky but I like the clean seamless look of the slim armor from spigen.

Do you know if the the glas T nano is the thinnest screen protector available? And how would it compare to the zagg invisible shield HD? I had the zagg on my One X+ and it held up pretty well but it did still look like I had a screen protector on. I guess I'm looking for something that's nearly invisible.

xchampx13

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
Not a fan of the Atom element case, it looks too bulky but I like the clean seamless look of the slim armor from spigen.

Do you know if the the glas T nano is the thinnest screen protector available? And how would it compare to the zagg invisible shield HD? I had the zagg on my One X+ and it held up pretty well but it did still look like I had a screen protector on. I guess I'm looking for something that's nearly invisible.

I use the Zagg with a Spigen case, you really can't tell the protector is on it if you didn't know it was there

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Yes, it's plastic, but do I care when I'm using it? No, not at all. Great, great phone.

Just my two p (cents):D

Converted.
I'm starting to realize plastic may NOT be an issue anymore but an actual benefit.

Samsung's only weakness is build quality and repetitive design language since the S3. Galaxy Win, Mega, Core, Note II, S Duos, etc all look pretty much the same. But Samsung is pretty awesome at everything else. And the plastic thing may not be such a bad thing.

My Nexus One that served me pretty well for two years is starting to get unreasonably hot where I get static electricity from it and my fingers or wrist gets numb. My HTC One can also get pretty warm sometimes. Both metal phones. Better to be safe than sorry.

We touch our phones all the time and alot of it generates heat and radiation. Plastic tends to run cooler and Samsung is known for some of the lowest SAR rating. People may hate Samsung's plastic but it may not be such an issue anymore. And Samsung is the only top OEM offering both memory expansion and replaceable battery.

S4 might be a 7/10 in looks and feel a little cheap but it is built better for the long-term.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
just wait till it gets official 4.3 as most are saying even more improved speed and better screen calibration

I am already running the leaked test version on 4.3 - its great so far - really "snappier" ):

----------

When using Nova launcher does the screen still display the missed calls and so forth when using that smartview case?

http://www.spigen.com/brands/samsung/galaxy/galaxy-s4/galaxy-s4-case-slim-armor-view.html

It does. Using a different launcher doesn't touch the lockscreen, so it's still the stock TouchWiz look and functionality. If you want to change the lockscreen, you'd need to use something like Widget Locker, Holo Locker, etc. That would (possibly) change the Smartview function.

Although...I know if you're using Widget Locker, you can still use the quickview thing where you wave your hand across the front of the phone and it lights up showing the time, missed calls, texts, etc. So using a third-party lockscreen app may not change it.

Plus Nova has a free add-on which enables unread counts on icons too ..

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I don't usually use a case...but when I do I use RokForm......

http://www.rokform.com/rokbed-v3-s4-case/

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
I've been iPhone through and through since the 3GS - thought I'd never own an Android device, and with my contract coming up for renewal I waited for the 5S announcement... and was underwhelmed.

Walked into the o2 store and renewed my contract with an S4.

I'm in love, it's an amazing phone and has some great features. I'm still currently using Touchwiz, but tested Nova, and did quite like it, but after a couple of days it would get sluggish.

Patiently waiting for 4.3 as it's supposed to be a great upgrade, but also fairly tempted to flash it as a Google Play edition device...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've been iPhone through and through since the 3GS - thought I'd never own an Android device, and with my contract coming up for renewal I waited for the 5S announcement... and was underwhelmed.

Walked into the o2 store and renewed my contract with an S4.

I'm in love, it's an amazing phone and has some great features. I'm still currently using Touchwiz, but tested Nova, and did quite like it, but after a couple of days it would get sluggish.

Patiently waiting for 4.3 as it's supposed to be a great upgrade, but also fairly tempted to flash it as a Google Play edition device...

Be aware if you have latest 4.2.2 software you will have KNOX installed, and even if you flash a GE rom and then use triangle away for masking your flashing should you revert back for repair / service. The KnOX counter can not be flashed back/reset meaning they will know you have flashed / tampered with the software and your warranty will be voided.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.