Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
I am starting a new job next week so I have to turn in my Macbook Pro that I was given by my former employer. I have a G5 iMac at home but I need to update in order to sync my iPhone and do side work.

I am a graphic designer and I am looking to use the CS suite with the new setup, my budget is not much over $1k so I am looking at a new Mac Mini or an older dual core Mac Pro they are both around $500-$700. Which would be the better machine for running the CS6 suite and doing graphic design and photo editing work? :confused:

----------

I just saw the buying advice section so Mods feel free to move this.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
You need to buy a screen too with the budget?
I would get the Mini. It has affordable RAM, RAM for the old Pro can cost a fortune, so you might be able to get the following:
Quad 2.3Ghz (much faster than the dual)
Buy yourself an SSD, 250Gb Samsung EVO or so, and a SATA cable for the lower bay (you can also do that later)
If you have money left, get 16GB RAM. You can always add 16 very easy later on, so I would take that step latest.
Best display for design use and wallet right now seems the Dell U2412M with IPS panel, good ergonomics, nice sRGB coverage, DVI and DP, and spacious 1920x1200. I still like 24 inch that resolution the best.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Thanks yes, I need a display and that Dell was the one I was actually looking at. I see  has a refurb quad core mini for $679 at the moment. How hard is the SSD to install on the Mini's?

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
You need to buy a screen too with the budget?
I would get the Mini. It has affordable RAM, RAM for the old Pro can cost a fortune, so you might be able to get the following:
Quad 2.3Ghz (much faster than the dual)
Buy yourself an SSD, 250Gb Samsung EVO or so, and a SATA cable for the lower bay (you can also do that later)
If you have money left, get 16GB RAM. You can always add 16 very easy later on, so I would take that step latest.
Best display for design use and wallet right now seems the Dell U2412M with IPS panel, good ergonomics, nice sRGB coverage, DVI and DP, and spacious 1920x1200. I still like 24 inch that resolution the best.

I agree! :cool:

IPS Monitors with the same specs, price at 24''...ASUS, IIYAMA etc...I don't prefer LG Monitors (several reported problems). I think DELL buys LG panels for their monitors, too.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I am starting a new job next week so I have to turn in my Macbook Pro that I was given by my former employer. I have a G5 iMac at home but I need to update in order to sync my iPhone and do side work.

I am a graphic designer and I am looking to use the CS suite with the new setup, my budget is not much over $1k so I am looking at a new Mac Mini or an older dual core Mac Pro they are both around $500-$700. Which would be the better machine for running the CS6 suite and doing graphic design and photo editing work? :confused:

----------

I just saw the buying advice section so Mods feel free to move this.

Definately a new mini. You can shop around for the monitor that suites your needs.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
An old Mac Pro makes no sense economically. If you want to upgrade at some stage in the next few years the Pro will be worth next to nothing (once the new model is out) while the Mac mini retains their value very well. Power consumption is another issue, the Pro is a guzzler, and if you in summer need to use an air-conditioner then it needs to work harder. Not to mention that the Pro is noisy.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks yes, I need a display and that Dell was the one I was actually looking at. I see  has a refurb quad core mini for $679 at the moment. How hard is the SSD to install on the Mini's?

Easy as long as you have the right tools. There is a good guide on ifixit.com. The new mini's have much faster SATA connections than the Mac Pro's which is beneficial for SSD performance. You'd have to purchase a PCIe adapter in the Mac Pro to get full performance out of the SSD.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
There is a good guide on ifixit.com.

NO, there ISNT!
iFixit updates the old Mini, a 2011, and does that in a very difficult way with risk of damage.

The new one is easier as the empty slot is at the bottom (read: direct behind the cover) and can be filled with 7mm SSD's just by removing the antenna grill.

Do it more as this guy does it (video is also a 2011 version with a HD replacement, not SSD, but it gives you an idea how to do things a lot easier)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGnXdwvabg

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Speaking as a designer with a Mini, go with the Mini.

As mentioned the Pro is just about obsolete, while if there's a CPU or similar update in the next few years you can just sell off the Mini and get a more recent model.

As far as displays, I've got a 23" AOC display that looks great but I didn't love the monitor base as it was a bit wobbly. Was really inexpensive though.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. It looks like a Mini is in my near future, if Apple doesn't announce anything by the end of the month I am going with the refurb for $679. Thanks again for all of the advice and links!!

garycactus

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
NO, there ISNT!
iFixit updates the old Mini, a 2011, and does that in a very difficult way with risk of damage.

The new one is easier as the empty slot is at the bottom (read: direct behind the cover) and can be filled with 7mm SSD's just by removing the antenna grill.

Do it more as this guy does it (video is also a 2011 version with a HD replacement, not SSD, but it gives you an idea how to do things a lot easier)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGnXdwvabg

Are you sure that in a new minis an empty slot is at the bottom?
All the videos show that the drive is on the bottom...

garycactus

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
NO, there ISNT!

Are you sure that the empty slot is at the bottom?
All the videos show that the drive is on the bottom...:)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. It looks like a Mini is in my near future, if Apple doesn't announce anything by the end of the month I am going with the refurb for $679 ]]

I'm going against the grain of what a lot of other folks have posted, but I wouldn't expect the new Mini at the end of October.

Apple will probably debut the new MacPro (mini-tower) at that time. My guess is they don't want another Mac to "steal the thunder" of the new product introduction.

If you _really_ need the Mini now, buy it now.

If you can afford to "wait", I suggest you prep yourself for a wait that could last until Jan/Feb 2014 (maybe late November or into December).

The new Mini (if there's going to be one) will definitely have some nice upgrades that will make the wait worthwhile.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Thanks, I can't wait that long so if they don't update the Mini by Nov. 1 I will just pull the trigger on a rerfurb model.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
Thanks, I can't wait that long so if they don't update the Mini by Nov. 1 I will just pull the trigger on a rerfurb model.

If you need it now...buy it now!

Otherwise, simply wait for a better and fresh one (Haswell processor, wi-fi ac, PCI-e SSD and HD5xxx graphics)...it may happen this year or early next year (as some Mac users statistically calculate)...whatever happens...

or

buy a new iMac....

your choice!

PS: Have you got a good monitor for your "new" Mac Mini?
specs?

- 24.1"
- 1920 × 1200 resolution
- IPS Panel

do you agree?

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Advice - get 2 cheap used Dell industrial 19" monitors for next to nothing and you have a top setup VDU wise if on a budget - in UK £50 or less each - you'll have a hell of a lot of screen estate.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
The Dell U2412M I was looking at is 24" and has a 1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz resolution. So I am fine with not getting the iMac since it doesn't have a optical drive anymore either and I can get the same screen specs for much cheaper.

colincarter

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
An old Mac Pro makes no sense economically. If you want to upgrade at some stage in the next few years the Pro will be worth next to nothing (once the new model is out) while the Mac mini retains their value very well. Power consumption is another issue, the Pro is a guzzler, and if you in summer need to use an air-conditioner then it needs to work harder. Not to mention that the Pro is noisy.

the pro is noisy?

where did you hear that, the macpro is virtually silent even under very heavy load which cannot be said for the mini, macbooks or imac.

i do agree that the pro isnt for you if you worry about power comsumpton

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.