PDA

View Full Version : my eMac is on its last leg... :(

seenew
Dec 4, 2005, 04:11 PM
Well, actually it's the family's eMac, but I'm the primary user.
Anyway, what the topic is about is whether the problems are fixable or not, and if they are, is it worth fixing, or should I just tell my dad it's time for a new model.

Problems:
-The Superdrive finally died. For a while there, it would be picky about what it would and would not read, but now it's decided not to read any discs, at all-- CDs or DVDs. Thus, it will not write them, either. The slot will still open if you ask it to, but once a disk is in, it does nothing except click and hum, like it's trying to read it. So yeah, now I found our old Iomega ZipCD 650 external (USB! :() CD burner/reader, and that's what we're using. Still no DVD, though.

-the monitor has been steadily getting blurrier. Well, it's not constantly or uniformally blurry, but each time it does go blurry, it's worse, and it covers a larger area, starting in the center and working its way outward. I've examined what appears blurred and decided it's more of a slight vertical blur more than anything, so that only horizontal elements on the screen get affected. This is quite the annoyance when working on anything graphic-related, as I usualy am.

-It's old. Like, this is the first generation of eMacs, got it in Christmas of '02, and it's got a 60GB internal HD (haha, iPods hold that now), and it runs at 800Mhz. :(

So what's your verdict?

(keep in mind that it takes a lot for my dad to replace a computer-- this eMac's predecessor was a 1998 1st Gen iMac, Bondi Blue.)

dops7107
Dec 4, 2005, 04:51 PM
Just take your Dad to an Apple store and let him wonder at the white and silver goodness on display... :rolleyes:

Of course, you should do this surreptitiously, and make out that the trip to the shops was not in any way to do with checking out new computers.

In seriousness, it sounds like your eMac will soldier on for a while yet. I don't know how important burning DVDs is to you. The screen is a bit of a concern. These are reasons I don't much care for all-in-ones - but Apple doesn't really cater for anything inbetween Mini and PM.

seenew
Dec 4, 2005, 05:37 PM
Just take your Dad to an Apple store and let him wonder at the white and silver goodness on display... :rolleyes:

Of course, you should do this surreptitiously, and make out that the trip to the shops was not in any way to do with checking out new computers.

In seriousness, it sounds like your eMac will soldier on for a while yet. I don't know how important burning DVDs is to you. The screen is a bit of a concern. These are reasons I don't much care for all-in-ones - but Apple doesn't really cater for anything inbetween Mini and PM.

Well, I couldn't really trick my dad into buying a new one; he knows about as much about Macs as I do-- he uses a PM G5 with a 30" display at work, since he's a graphic designer.

I almost hope it would just die, so he'd be forced to replace it. 800MHz was nice back in 2002, but now it's just like... Blah.

plinkoman
Dec 4, 2005, 07:06 PM
man, don't mess around with a blurry moniter, over time that can damage your vision. i'd say it's time for a new machine. you could always get a cheap crt and hook it into the eMacs video out (if it has one?), or see how much apple will charge to fix it. if nothing was wrong with the eMac, it should still be a half way decent machine today, but not quite decent enough to warrent spending a couple hundred dollars on fixing in my opinion.

besides, a new low end iMac is pretty cheap, especially if your a student, probably not much more then your eMac, or even your iMac were when they were new.

1hot5.0
Dec 4, 2005, 08:17 PM
Open up your superdrive, and spray some canned air where the laser reads. Occasionally, dust will build up on this, and cause it not to read discs no matter what you do, but it will still open.

Alternatively, go to a Comp USA, Best Buy, or any electronics store, and you can buy a disc with a little brush on the back, that will do the same thing.

As far as the monitor goes, I would just hook up an external display to it. It would be nice to get a new machine for christmas though wouldn't it? :D

Dark
Dec 4, 2005, 08:17 PM
Wait your dads a graphic designer that rocks a PM G5 and a 30 incher display. I think he should know the imporatnce of a good home computer than. What if he ever needed to work from home....:eek: . If money is an issue, than just go buy a Mac Mini and a Dell Display. The Mac Mini will do everything you need efficiently.

seenew
Dec 4, 2005, 11:27 PM
Wait your dads a graphic designer that rocks a PM G5 and a 30 incher display. I think he should know the imporatnce of a good home computer than. What if he ever needed to work from home....:eek: . If money is an issue, than just go buy a Mac Mini and a Dell Display. The Mac Mini will do everything you need efficiently.

The G5 & 30" was given to him by the company, he didn't buy it. :( I always tell him to steal it, though.

I'll be getting a new(or newER) Mac for college next May. I guess I can wait.

Thanks for the advice with the Superdrive, I'll try that out.

rdowns
Dec 5, 2005, 03:42 AM
Dad, we need a new computer. I mean, come on, your FSB is faster than the eMacs processor. Besides, all the kids are making fun of me.