Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I wanted to turn my iPhone 5 into a fake 5C, so I bought a Speck Candyshell in white w' black buttons to put on my black iPhone 5.

I'm very pleased with how the Candyshell looks and feels. Button feedback is excellent. The TPU seals a lot better over the phone than my Incipio case, so hopefully less dust will migrate inside.

A few things I have noticed though:

1) It's very difficult to uninstall the Candyshell. I was able to take it off, but I was fearful of breaking the phone or snapping the thin parts of the case. Luckily nothing broke.

2). The TPU border around the display is a bit of a dust magnet. Incipio's TPU is a bit harder and seem to not have dust ever cling to its surface.

3) Loose strands of TPU where it borders the polycarbonate shell. Easy to trim off, but looks a bit rough out of the box.

I feel like I have a new phone!

zip

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2003
Awesome! I bet that looks sharp.

I've been thinking about getting a Candyshell. I've never held one, they seem like they might not be grippy and slip out of the hand easily. That is really my only concern about getting one.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I wanted to turn my iPhone 5 into a fake 5C, so I bought a Speck Candyshell in white w' black buttons to put on my black iPhone 5.

I'm very pleased with how the Candyshell looks and feels. Button feedback is excellent. The TPU seals a lot better over the phone than my Incipio case, so hopefully less dust will migrate inside.

1) It's very difficult to uninstall the Candyshell. I was able to take it off, but I was fearful of breaking the phone or snapping the thin parts of the case. Luckily nothing broke.

2). The TPU border around the display is a bit of a dust magnet. Incipio's TPU is a bit harder and seem to not have dust ever cling to its surface.

3) Loose strands of TPU where it borders the polycarbonate shell. Easy to trim off, but looks a bit rough out of the box.

Do you happen to have any pics?

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
1) It's very difficult to uninstall the Candyshell. I was able to take it off, but I was fearful of breaking the phone or snapping the thin parts of the case. Luckily nothing broke...

I tried & returned the CS, but what worked for me was bending one case corner back while pushing in the center/back then pushing through the camera hole. Great protection, but scratch prone.

One of the few cases that if you dropped it flat face down from a high place I think it would hold the phone from dropping forward/down for the screen impact the ground.

Edit: nevermind, mine was on a 5S not 5C.

Last edited:

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Speck is all I've ever bought for iPhone protection outside of Apple's 5c case.

Always the best products on the market in my humble opinion.

If you're looking for a case by them that's a bit less rigid, check out the Fabshell line.

The Smartflex line is supposed to be nice too, but I don't have any hands-on experience with them.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011

Where did you but it from? Ton of fakes out there and most fakes have the rubber 'tails' on the outer edges from poor production.

zip

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2003
Can any of the Speck owners comment on if the case feels secure in their hand, or if they feel it will easily slip out? Thanks!

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Bought a white Candyshell…

I think my case may be defective, because the TPU border around the display is already shedding material that looks like pencil eraser rubber. Not good after only 24 hrs use :-( I think I'm going to return it, which sucks because I really like the look.

Where did you but it from? Ton of fakes out there and most fakes have the rubber 'tails' on the outer edges from poor production.

I bought it retail at Target so I doubt it would be fake, unless big box stores are now in the counterfeit business, haha.

Can any of the Speck owners comment on if the case feels secure in their hand, or if they feel it will easily slip out? Thanks!

After using the case for a full day, I have arrived at the conclusion that it depends largely on the state of your hands. The Candyshell is very slippery in freshly washed and dried hands. If your fingers don't have natural surface oil or moisture on them the back plastic can be pretty slick. Under most conditions, I did not find the case too slippery.

Do you happen to have any pics?

Unfortunately, no, since my only working camera at the moment is my iPhone. Impossible to take pics of the iPhone w' Candyshell.

Last edited:

ms.annette

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
SoCal
I love my Candyshell. It's the best for protection but I do agree it is hard to remove and the rubber parts get so dirty and dusty! I tried cleaning it but it still looks so dirty. :(

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I hate the Candyshell cases for the reason you describe...the rubber flakes and comes apart almost immediately. This has happened with items I purchased at the Apple Store and at a Best Buy...so they should not have been fake.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
I hate the Candyshell cases for the reason you describe...the rubber flakes and comes apart almost immediately. This has happened with items I purchased at the Apple Store and at a Best Buy...so they should not have been fake.

Speck keeps saying they have fixed the flaking but it still happens.
incase make a new candyshell like case called the pro hardshell and the soft inside is much nicer than the speck. I normally don't like cases at all, but the incase really has me thinking twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.