Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwatch.jpg
The much-rumored iWatch may be used as a home automation gateway, allowing users to control various functions within their houses, according to a new research note by Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Brian White.
As an Apple supplier, our contact offered insight into the "iWatch" and described this potential new device as much more than an extension of your iPhone but as a multi-purpose gateway in allowing consumers to control their home (i.e., heating/cooling, lights, audio, video, etc.).
This functionality would mirror the abilities of apps by Philips and Nest to power the Hue lightbulbs and Nest Thermostat, allowing users to control lighting and temperature from simple commands on their devices. However, as those services require additional accessories it would likely mean Apple would have to manufacture these accessories itself or create some kind of licensing program for third parties, like AirPlay.

It is not surprising to hear that the iWatch will be far more than an iPhone companion given repeated reports of the health-sensor technology rumored to be built into it, but the potential inclusion of home automation does come as a surprise.

In the past, White has provided somewhat questionable reports, claiming that an Apple television set with an "iRing" motion control remote would be coming this year and that the iPhone 5s would come in multiple sizes. Although he did also predict there would be multiple color choices for the next iPhone.

Two iWatch models, with 1.3- and 1.6-inch 320x320 AMOLED screens, are rumored to be arriving at some point next year.

Article Link: Analyst Believes iWatch Will Feature Home Automation, Be More Than an iPhone Companion

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Wouldn't this be available on the iPhone also then? Therefore making the automations sort of redundant? I bet you it will be integrated into Siri and the iWatch can access Siri. This is not a good enough reason to get an iWatch.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
Hopefully somebody other than Ive is designing them. He's messed up enough Apple products already.

And my god if you're going to make a "gold" product, don't make some ridiculous copout champagne colored gold that isn't even gold at all on the front. Grow a freaking pair and make something bright and glittery enough to do the color justice.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I always liked that iPod nano watch but never took the plunge because it didn't run iOS and therefore couldn't support Find My iPhone, which is a life-saver around my house. Looking forward to whatever Apple happens to bring to market though.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
By the way before anyone asks, no I'm not really Scott Forstall, just a big fan of his work and hater of his ugly and arrogant nemesis Ive. I'm confident Forstall will resurface somewhere and when that time comes I want to be on his radar to have the chance to work for him.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Hopefully somebody other than Ive is designing them. He's messed up enough Apple products already.

And my god if you're going to make a "gold" product, don't make some ridiculous copout champagne colored gold that isn't even gold at all on the front. Grow a freaking pair and make something bright and glittery enough to do the color justice.

The home button ring is gold, just like the silver phone has a silver ring.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
"The much-rumored iWatch may be used as a home automation gateway, allowing users to control various functions within their houses, according to a new research note by Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Brian White."

So why not the iPhone too? AirPlay air conditioning... ohh yesssssss :cool:
Except this guy is probably dead wrong.

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Don't forget, Jobs looked years down the road when it came to technology, people's unknown needs, etc. As well, Apple recently purchased WifiSLAM, a company that specializes in INDOOR triangulation (using wifi and other signals).

Since the purchase of WifiSLAM, my thinking has been that Apple intends to expand their reach into some form of home automation, possibly using their new iWatch, the iPhone, etc. In short - your iWatch or iPhone would know when you're in bed, when you're approaching a door, etc.

An entire in-home (Apple) ecosystem could be on its way. I could really see Jobs envisioning something big like this. Apple is probably the best company to really make something like this work.... and to make it mainstream.

Bigskygangsta

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Southeast Trailer Park
By the way before anyone asks, no I'm not really Scott Forstall, just a big fan of his work and hater of his ugly and arrogant nemesis Ive. I'm confident Forstall will resurface somewhere and when that time comes I want to be on his radar to have the chance to work for him.

Scott is a goon and is lost without Apple. Ives makes Forstall look like a kindergartener. You and Scott can go for a sail on his 1980's stinking loser boat.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Great! Now I can control my smoke detector with my watch. It's just like I'm in Back to the Future or something.

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013

Bright and glittery gold iphone is the worst idea I've ever heard in my life. Thank you for thinking of it.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Well, duh. Which is why the iWatch won't be called an iWatch because it won't be an iWatch. Which makes me wonder why anyone continues to predict an iWatch. Lack of imagination is my best guess.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
Remember the old days when people had to stop and ask you what time it was? Those glory days will soon be back (for non-iWatch owners at least....)

LunaticSX

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
Since there's so much speculation on its possible uses, no matter what it finally is or does, an Apple smart watch is going to be quickly branded as "disappointing" and lacking features.

Remember the wild rumors about an "Apple tablet" before the iPad was announced, and how disappointed some people were that it was "nothing more than a big iPod touch"?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005

Ive got it exactly right by making it a light gold color and a bit more red-gold than yellow-gold. What you are proposing sounds gaudy and tacky.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Since there's so much speculation on its possible uses, no matter what it finally is or does, an Apple smart watch is going to be quickly branded as "disappointing" and lacking features.

Remember the wild rumors about an "Apple tablet" before the iPad was announced, and how disappointed some people were that it was "nothing more than a big iPod touch"?

But.. in reality its not just a big iPod touch... then they realized.. its more useful than netbooks.. and BOOM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.