Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Hey guys, got my space grey 5s and the photive iphone 5s bumper case a week ago ( its the bumper case on amazon for 9.95) and in one week the freakin case is no longer snug on the phone and the phone moves around. I was browsing for new cases and wondering if the aluminum bumper cases scratch the sides of the 5s because they are metal? if not can anyone direct me to a nice aluminum case that doesn't break the bank? (20 dollars and under)

I want a aluminum bumper case and I use screen protectors on front and back of phone for full body protection. I was thinking that if a aluminum case scratches it then might as well use the iphone 5s naked.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Metal or non metal isn't the determining factor. With scratching it's all about the hardness of the two materials. With cases it's not just the case that you have to consider but any grit that can get in between the case and the device.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
You're putting a metal case around the phone. Of course it can scratch it. The key is in how it is padded and how it is fitted. Movement=scratching.

Frankly, I don't consider metal bumpers to be ideal cases if your aim is to keep the phone in pristine condition. They look good and they make your phone stand out.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Just get some rash guards or body skins for your phone. Put them on first then put the aluminum case on.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
Just get some rash guards or body skins for your phone. Put them on first then put the aluminum case on.

You still have to be careful. Movement between the frame and case can wear through a soft body skin quite rapidly. I've seen it. Right through to the metal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.