Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-gb-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Hello,
with 10.8 I created an 1TB self growing sparseimage. Then i moved the sparseimage to my NAS, a SMB share.
I often mounted the sparseimage from 10.8 and put new files in and unmounted it. Everything worked fine.

Now with 10.9 I can mount the sparseimage and also copy new files onto it, it also changes the "last changed" date and size. But after an unmount and an remount the new files are gone. and also the size is the size before i moved the new files to the sparseimage.

This bug always accurs, and also with an sparseimage created with 10.9.

But: It only appears when the sparseimage is on my NAS. I can perfectly write other files to the SMB share and they stay there, but not if I copy them to the sparseimage.

Very strange so don't make your backup that way, you may loose your data.

-gb-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Ok Bug submitted.

I think it is not filesystem related, because the sparseimage is on an SMB share. I can also perfectly write to the share, but not in the sparseimage on the share. It looks as if the files were copied to the sparseimage, size, dates everything changes and looks fine. But there is no network traffic to the SMB server.

So when I copy a file to the mounted sparseimage, the file is not actually transfered to the NAS where the sparseimage is stored at. And after unmounting and remounting the sparseimage looks as nothing ever happened.

But only if the sparseimage is on my NAS, when it is on my desktop or so, then it works fine. Unter 10.8 it also worked fine with the NAS.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
In this case, it sounds like a problem with the disk image driver in 10.9.x. The driver should support NAS, because Apple themselves used sparse disk images for Time Machine backups on certain network volumes, IIRC.

-gb-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
May be. It would be nice if someone could reproduce this behavior. Your just need an Windows Computer with an SMB share - an virtual PC would be sufficient.

And then create an growing sparseimage with diskutil, move the .sparseimage to the smb share, mount it, copy files to the image, unmount and remount and files are gone.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
May be. It would be nice if someone could reproduce this behavior. Your just need an Windows Computer with an SMB share - an virtual PC would be sufficient.

And then create an growing sparseimage with diskutil, move the .sparseimage to the smb share, mount it, copy files to the image, unmount and remount and files are gone.

I can try it tonight at home. I access SMB shares on the family PC downstairs from my Mac mini upstairs. It should only take a few minutes.

-gb-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
News:
.sparsebundle is not affected, it works as it should! But: .dmg has the same strange behavior as .sparseimage

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio

Yes. I can confirm this bug. Local sparseimages work fine. Files inside sparseimages copied to a network share are accessible. BUT Files copied TO mounted sparseimages resident on a share are not actually copied. If I try to copy them back immediately, the file copied back is damaged. If I unmount and remount the sparseimage, there is no sign of the added files.

Source system: Mac mini (Late 2012), base i5, 16GB RAM, Mavericks GM
Sharing system: Dell desktop running Window 8

-gb-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
The blog post is about sparsebundle which is not affected by the bug.

-gb-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Hello, Apple believes that this Bug is fixed in OS 10.10 Yosemite. I cannot test it so ... can you confirm this statement from Apple?

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.