Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Because the S4 is in a major sales slump, they are looking to release the S5 well ahead of schedule. Does that mean the possibility that iPhone 6 might come back to a summer release?

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s5-out-in-january-in-s4-slump-report-says-50012462/

Samsung Galaxy S5 out in January in S4 slump, report says

The Samsung Galaxy S5 could be just a couple of months away, as new reports suggest the sequel to the Samsung Galaxy S4 will be rushed out to fight falling sales.

Korean site Naver -- founded by ex-Samsung staffers, incidentally -- reports that the S5 will be revealed in January to gloss over a slump in sales of the S4.

If true, the S5 could be shown off at annual technology bunfest CES in Las Vegas, although Samsung phones have largely outgrown trade shows and there's more likely to be a stand-alone event.

Reports say the S5 will pack a 16-megapixel camera with optical image stabilisation. It's also set for a Samsung Exynos processor rather than a Qualcomm processor, which is nice after the S4 had different processors in different countries. Fingers crossed for a powerful eight-core chip, which appears in the S4 but only in selected countries and not in the UK or US.

Fingers crossed too for a classier design than the glossy, plasticky S4 -- and maybe even a curved screen. Samsung this week revealed its first flexed phone, the Galaxy Round, which borrows the leather-effect and fake stitching of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 rather than the divisive plastic back of previous devices. The S5 could continue the leatherette look, although previous rumours suggested it could be the first metal Galaxy blower.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Because the S4 is in a major sales slump, they are looking to release the S5 well ahead of schedule. Does that mean the possibility that iPhone 6 might come back to a summer release?

No. Apple has said many times, that they are focusing on making their products, not looking at what other people are doing. Meanwhile Samsung is too busy competing with themselves: they're clearly more interested in generating hype because the S4 didn't do as well as they hoped, and now they want to rush things. Rushing a product solely because the previous model isn't doing so well is a recipe for disaster if you ask me. And so is rushing the release of a product because the other guy rushed theirs.

That kind of one-upmanship won't be good for anyone.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Didn't we have the exact same thread about this predictions just a few days ago ? :confused: ;)

Won't happen

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Even if someone wants to upgrade, because of their contracts they can't. Few will pay full price.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
If Samsung makes such a bumbling mistake, the S5 will flop worse than the the S4. I for one will be offended after laying good money down for an S4 just 3-4 months prior.

I won't buy another Samsung device regardless of SD card support or removable battery. Nope, not me.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
How is the s4 a flop when it out sold the gs3 and note 2 cells combined?

Ohh wait because some analyst said Samsung would sell 10 million a month of the gs4?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
How is the s4 a flop when it out sold the gs3 and note 2 cells combined?

Ohh wait because some analyst said Samsung would sell 10 million a month of the gs4?

Sucks when unrealistic analysts' expectations become the measuring point huh?

Apple has been berated for the same thing.

I'd love to see a source that says the GS4 has outsold the GS3 and Note 2 combined.....are you talking first weekend, first month, total?

EDIT: Also, seems like you're the only one that's characterized the GS4 as a "flop". The article simply points out that sales for the GS4 are "slumping".....not that its been a flop the whole time.....wasn't it a high ranking Samsung exec who said they'd sell 200 million of them or something absurd like that?

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Please provide proof that says the S4 is a sales flop. Or the sales has Sammy so worried to rush out the GS5. Gotta love the click bait analysts.

Btw, anyone got those 3rd quarter operating profits?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
No. Apple has said many times, that they are focusing on making their products, not looking at what other people are doing. Meanwhile Samsung is too busy competing with themselves: they're clearly more interested in generating hype because the S4 didn't do as well as they hoped, and now they want to rush things. Rushing a product solely because the previous model isn't doing so well is a recipe for disaster if you ask me. And so is rushing the release of a product because the other guy rushed theirs.

That kind of one-upmanship won't be good for anyone.

Agreed. I don't see Apple changing what they are doing just because Samsung might release their next flagship early.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sucks when unrealistic analysts' expectations become the measuring point huh?

Apple has been berated for the same thing.

I'd love to see a source that says the GS4 has outsold the GS3 and Note 2 combined.....are you talking first weekend, first month, total?

EDIT: Also, seems like you're the only one that's characterized the GS4 as a "flop". The article simply points out that sales for the GS4 are "slumping".....not that its been a flop the whole time.....wasn't it a high ranking Samsung exec who said they'd sell 200 million of them or something absurd like that?

In fairness, it was SAMSUNG themselves who said they would sell 100 million not some random analyst.

That being said, I still don't believe this rumour.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
This is exactly why you dont go releasing a ton of devices. Sure, you can say choice is great all you want but what Samsung is doing is over saturating the Galaxy line, devaluing their flagship device and creating confusion among potential buyers. What IS the flagship device of the Galaxy line anyways? The Galaxy S4? Galaxy Note 3? Galaxy S4 active? Galaxy Mega? The upcoming Galaxy Round? Then you also have the Galaxy Ace 3, Star, Core and Fame...and thats just the ones announced or released this year! I can easily see potential buyers being afraid to buy any of the Galaxy phones for fear there will be a new one announced a week later. Its quite ridiculous and not smart for business.

As for the question, no. This will have no bearing on what Apple does. The iPhone outsells any of the Galaxy phones and they have learned first hand that releasing a new version of a device so quickly causes quite a stir amongst your customers. I think they are content to watch Samsung's Galaxy line start to decline while they work on perfecting the iPhone 6 rather than rushing it out to try and compete when they dont even need to.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Please provide proof that says the S4 is a sales flop. Or the sales has Sammy so worried to rush out the GS5. Gotta love the click bait analysts.

Btw, anyone got those 3rd quarter operating profits?

Good point.:cool:

Thats madness...thats apple like with the ipad.

It's a bit different. To quote myself, "Even if someone wants to upgrade, because of their contracts, they can't. Few will pay full price".

But again, there is no proof that they're planning on this.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
This is exactly why you dont go releasing a ton of devices. Sure, you can say choice is great all you want but what Samsung is doing is over saturating the Galaxy line, devaluing their flagship device and creating confusion among potential buyers. What IS the flagship device of the Galaxy line anyways? The Galaxy S4? Galaxy Note 3? Galaxy S4 active? Galaxy Mega? The upcoming Galaxy Round? Then you also have the Galaxy Ace 3, Star, Core and Fame...and thats just the ones announced or released this year! I can easily see potential buyers being afraid to buy any of the Galaxy phones for fear there will be a new one announced a week later. Its quite ridiculous and not smart for business.

As for the question, no. This will have no bearing on what Apple does. The iPhone outsells any of the Galaxy phones and they have learned first hand that releasing a new version of a device so quickly causes quite a stir amongst your customers. I think they are content to watch Samsung's Galaxy line start to decline while they work on perfecting the iPhone 6 rather than rushing it out to try and compete when they dont even need to.

There are currently 18! Different S4 versions, I don't even want to guess how many 'Galaxy' models are out there.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Is Samsung looking to create that ultimate flagship device that the common person will think of when hearing the word "Samsung"? I don't think anyone can duplicate the way Apple and iPhone are basically synonymous with each other.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I see the S4 and Note 2/3 more than any other Android phones in public. It's probably 50/50 between iPhones and Galaxy phones that I'm seeing every day. And I see a lot of people every day.

I wouldn't call the S4 a flop, and I can say for certain Apple wouldn't release a new iPhone less than 3 months after the former release. Even if they wanted to (they don't) they physically couldn't.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

If S4 sales dropped off I have no doubt it is partially due to the Samsung carpet bombing the market with over a dozen variations.

I don't think Apple would launch any product early due to competition.

It's "possible" Samsung could drop the GS5 earlier than previous years though.

Galaxy S: 4 June 2010
Galaxy SII: 2 May 2011
Galaxy SIII: 29 May 2012
Galaxy SIV: 26 April 2013

Earlier being March or April, but not January. That would be crazy and a half-baked endeavor for sure.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I actually though they were selling less than SGS3.

Have they already sold more than 50 million units?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think rise in competition from LG, HTC, Sony, Motorola, and yes, even Samsung themselves with their more diverse portfolio of devices (for example, how many people decided to skip the S4 to wait for the Note III? There were plenty here that said that's precisely what they were doing...) is the cause behind the S4's less-than-expected sales.

This is also why I think it's so important that Samsung doesn't "run away" with the Android platform. They're top dog, for sure, but they can't be the only ones in the field. I think it could be detrimental to the Android platform if we lose, say, HTC. I'm happy to see Motorola and LG making and offering serious options in the Android world. It keeps everyone competing.

I also think it's good Samsung isn't resting on their laurels. They're clearly trying to expand their brand as much and as far as they can by tying the Galaxy name to variant devices that address niche markets (the Active, for example). I get the sense they're listening -- more so than any other OEM, including Apple -- to their customers and to the media. There's clearly a response to the "plastic" argument (look at the Note III -- I think the leather is a "quick response" of sorts to that).

The S5 is rumored to focus more on better build materials. They're listening and that's a good thing.

PS. I don't foresee this affecting what Apple is doing directly. I do think, however, that Apple can no longer ignore nor pretend that larger screen devices aren't in demand.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
However all this Knox and lockdown stuff from Samsung is scaring me very much, they are tightening their grip
I will only buy google edition samsung devices if knox isn't changed/made optional since it's really an enterprise feature

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
However all this Knox and lockdown stuff from Samsung is scaring me very much, they are tightening their grip
I will only buy google edition samsung devices if knox isn't changed/made optional since it's really an enterprise feature

I, too, think this will ultimately be a mistake on Samsung's part.

(Thankfully, they aren't the only Android OEM).

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.