Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmanley1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
A few caveats...

I have a 21.5" Mid 2011 iMac with 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. My main uses are as follows.

• Heavy web browsing
  • Streaming video
  • DVD playing
  • Some writing

Have had 8gb for over a year (2gb sticks x4) and haven't looked back. Just wondering if maybe I shouldn't at least think about getting 16gb or will 8gb be sufficient.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
8GB sounds like it's enough for your uses. Best suggestion is see how your system performs after you install Mavericks and then decide on the memory.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
A few caveats...

I have a 21.5" Mid 2011 iMac with 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. My main uses are as follows.

• Heavy web browsing
  • Streaming video
  • DVD playing
  • Some writing

Have had 8gb for over a year (2gb sticks x4) and haven't looked back. Just wondering if maybe I shouldn't at least think about getting 16gb or will 8gb be sufficient.

hahahaha 16 gb for heavy web browsing? HAHAHAHAHAH. Thanks for that :)

8GB is definitely enough, if not overkill for that usage.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
A few caveats...

• Heavy web browsing
  • Streaming video
  • DVD playing
  • Some writing

You could get by fine with 4GB. You have to be working with media files (audio, video or images) before the computer needs a bunch of RAM.

The best way to see if RAM is needed is to look at Apple's Activity Meter. You shoud have it on your Mac right now in /Application/utilities If you typically are low on RAM or you see any "page outs" then you can use more RAM. If none of that is happing more RAM will not do much.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
4gb is totally ok. My girlfriend just got a 2013 mba with 4g and I put Mav GM on it and it runs great. She does what you describe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.