PDA

View Full Version : Water on my iBook!

suraj
Dec 4, 2005, 08:57 PM
My G4 iBook (12" 800mhz) got drenched in water (backpack, no sleeve, open waterbottle!) and since being dried off it will only boot up and I can hear the fan running but nothing appears on the screen.

Where to start? Salvagable? Or done like dinner?

Cheers,

SJ

p0intblank
Dec 4, 2005, 09:00 PM
When did you spill the water on it? You should leave it off for at least 24 hours.

840quadra
Dec 4, 2005, 09:08 PM
When did you spill the water on it? You should leave it off for at least 24 hours.

Ja,

Avoid turning it on until you are absolutely sure the board and internals are dry. If you turned it on with water inside, you may have caused enough damage already. :(

TodVader
Dec 4, 2005, 09:13 PM
water conducts electricity and shorts the circuits on the logic board. If you turned it on, you probably fried it.

suraj
Dec 4, 2005, 09:28 PM
It may have been slightly wet when I first tried to turn it on, so yes, it may be fried :(.

If that is the case, would the fan being on and nothing showing on the LCD be a symptom of a fried board? What are my options to salvage the whole system, would I just need to replace the motherboard?

puckhead193
Dec 4, 2005, 10:16 PM
i would think its fried...looks like someone's going to start a thread "I got my new ibook today" ;)
maybe just the screen got damage....

DanielNTX
Dec 4, 2005, 10:17 PM
It's possible that it's still in working order. Remove the power and disassemble the iBook. Let everything dry for 72 hours. Rebuild the system and see if it still boots.

jiv3turkey748
Dec 4, 2005, 10:25 PM
i spilt water on my ibook once and it freaked out and quit workng
but after it dried out it was fine

AvSRoCkCO1067
Dec 4, 2005, 10:26 PM
that sucks.

(joking, I'm so sorry! I'd prolly die...)

katie ta achoo
Dec 4, 2005, 10:31 PM
when my iBook screen went out, it was because my nephew had gotten water on it. The thing that I had to replace was the inverter board.
Maybe it's that? (the screen was black, but if I held a flashlight up to it, I could still see the screen)

let it dry out for a while before anything though.

suraj
Dec 5, 2005, 01:05 AM
Thanks for all the advice, hopefully it makes it! It's the first Mac I've ever owned, since then I've purchased a Powermac G5, a few iPods, and a Powerbook, but my trusty iBook has priceless nostalgia attached to it.

mikes63737
Dec 5, 2005, 08:56 PM
Sorry about that... I would take it apart and let it dry for a few days and then put it back together like a previous poster reccommended.

TodVader
Dec 5, 2005, 11:30 PM
The fuse in the power supply is set to a much higher amp capacity than the fuses on the logic board's electronics. It starts and all the electric parts work (fan, etc) but the electronics are probably fried.

I feel your pain, accidents suck.

Good luck and I sure hope I'm wrong but I fear I'm right.