PDA

View Full Version : iCal 1.0.1, iSync 1.0 released

medea
Jan 2, 2003, 08:07 AM
Apple today announced the release of iCal 1.0.1, an update to the company's calendar application, and iSync 1.0, the first final release of its synchronization software. Both releases require Mac OS X 10.2.3 and offer performance improvements, bug fixes, and feature tweaks.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/jan/02ical_isync.html
http://www.apple.com/ical/
http://www.apple.com/isync/

.a
Jan 2, 2003, 08:22 AM
finally!
i sync my stuff (desktopG4, powerbookG4, palm and dorMac) since the beta is out. it was more or less okay.
anyone tried the new versions?
i am gonna download and try it out...
.a

backspinner
Jan 2, 2003, 08:34 AM
iCal is now snappy fast!

Moxiemike
Jan 2, 2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by backspinner
iCal is now snappy fast!

Indeed! Usually, when opening iCal, it would be like beep beep beep beep beep beep open.

Now? No beeps. ;)

It's quick like a bunny. word.

wtg apple.

.a
Jan 2, 2003, 08:51 AM
...on my powerbookG4 400 to start ical up it takes:

"beep beep"

:) and that's faster than before! overall speed is also increased. good update... anyone tried isync?

.a

primalman
Jan 2, 2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by backspinner
iCal is now snappy fast!

Wow, iCal is actually usable now. It was an absolute joke before, but now I can use it to organize my day! Finally!:)

demonx
Jan 2, 2003, 10:36 AM
Yup iCal is much faster, and also dosen't totally close when you hit the red button anymore:)

.a
Jan 2, 2003, 10:41 AM
iSync works, too.
i had no problems either with iCal nor with iSync.
...but .mac is down right now... what's up there? i wanted to check the .mac address book - the unly thing i get is a notice: server unreachable...
.a

Gus
Jan 2, 2003, 11:15 AM
I thought that these two things would be part of the bulk of the keynote. There must be some good stuff coming next week for them to release this now!

Regards,
Gus

P.S. Did you notice that iSync and iCal now have those "recessed" buttons on them?

Chaszmyr
Jan 2, 2003, 11:29 AM
iApp updates pre-MWSF... Curious.

gairloch
Jan 2, 2003, 12:39 PM
Numbering schemes for program versions are so misleading "x.x.x" a single point upgrade is all we got, BUT what a difference. I would have been fine with iCal 1.5 for this baby! Apple's programmers must be taking Ginseng or something - they've been working so hard since Jaguar.

iCal is, as others are saying, snappy (iBook 600; 16MB VRAM) running 10.2.3

iSync is okay... slightly ahead of it's time, perhaps, but it's great for the old iPod, eh.

THANK YOU, APPLE.

Potus
Jan 2, 2003, 12:48 PM
Can't mount iSync. "error 95" Huh?

iFresh
Jan 2, 2003, 01:10 PM
In version 1.0 I could never get these features to work (I don't have .Mac):

1) Publish to a non .Mac web server. (What is webdav?)

2) Email invites to people who don't have .Mac email account (who does anyway?)

3) Email Reminders to myself for events.

4) The Alarm reminders desperately need a Snooze button like Microsoft Entourage.

Do any of these work correctly in the latest version or does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

dguisinger
Jan 2, 2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Gus
I thought that these two things would be part of the bulk of the keynote. There must be some good stuff coming next week for them to release this now!

Regards,
Gus

P.S. Did you notice that iSync and iCal now have those "recessed" buttons on them?

They were planned to be part of the keynote. Microsoft is supposed to be releasing their sync software within the next few days, Apple decided to move up its release date. ZDNews had an article on it today.

Kind of funny, you really screw yourself over when all of your announcements happen on a particular day.....your competition can easily steal thunder if they are working on similar products. MS was supposidly to announce availability a day or two before MWSF.

pantagruel
Jan 2, 2003, 01:14 PM
well I guess Apple one-upped Microsoft on that then!
Glad to see some improvements, iCal was kinda dissapointing for me at first, but I'll use it much more now.:D
Don't have much use for iSync at the moment though.

orthodoc
Jan 2, 2003, 01:26 PM
Question: Does this iCal update just update the old iCal or totally replace it? I don't want to lose my current calander events. Also, if it was just an update, it seems like you would be able to download just the update using software update. However, you can't. Thanks in advance. :cool:

gairloch
Jan 2, 2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by orthodoc
Question: Does this iCal update just update the old iCal or totally replace it? I don't want to lose my current calander events. Also, if it was just an update, it seems like you would be able to download just the update using software update. However, you can't. Thanks in advance. :cool:

The new version of iCal is almost twice the file size of 1.0!!!!! There's a lot more under the hood than a simple x.x.x update, me thinks!

Anywho, this update updates the existing program - all of my calendars were left in existence... no problems... you can update without fear of losing data... but, since you were prudent enough to post such a question, it might be in your best interest to be prudent enough to save your calendar files to another location (just in case).

About the download. iCal was originally a separate download, for some reason or another. But I do wonder why it isn't part of the software update. Hmm, licensing issues perhaps? Or perhaps it's just an effort to make it "feel" like a really big deal.

In any case, the new version is much better.

orthodoc
Jan 2, 2003, 01:41 PM
Gairloch, thanks for the reply! :D

artistry
Jan 2, 2003, 01:43 PM
Well I just managed to delete all my appointments for the next year from my Palm and iCal... :mad:

When I synced for the first time, iCal (yet again) contained about eight (count 'em) duplicates of every single appointment and task.

So I deleted all my calendars and decided to sync again, thinking that iCal would take up the stuff from my Palm.
Instead, it deleted everything off the Palm - there's no option to tell iSync whether one device should over-ride the other!
I tried to rever to last sync - no luck - and 'reset devices' from my .Mac account - no luck again.

And another thing (I'm on a roll - anyone would think I'd paid for this stuff! ;) )
Each time I sync, I get told I'm gonna have 99 new contacts added here there and everywhere, 1170 events and so on. The only option is to cancel or accept - I would like to be able to go in and see what's going on.
And the bit at the end where iSync tries to reconcile conflicts... the window isn't big enough to see what's going on.

No - don't like it. I also don't see the point of having two sync applications going at the same time (HotSync and iSync) and why can't I use Bluetooth on my tungsten instead of the cradle? That's why I bought the adapter!

fortunately I just remembered I was demoing Now Up to Date so a lot of my stuff will be safe on there. I don't like NUTD, would prefer to use iApps, but I think iSync has a long way to go. Nice idea, but too risky to use I think.

Still, if they're releasing this stuff now, it must be to clear the way for an announcement next week? At least the 'one more thing' won't be 'iSync has now been released'.

mangoman
Jan 2, 2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
iApp updates pre-MWSF... Curious.

We Mac heads are a fickle bunch. Release minor updates like this prior to the Beeg Show is smart. If they'd made these minor releases during the show, we would've collectively cried/pissed/moaned, saying, "THIS is BIG NEWS?" etc etc etc etc blah blah blah.

You KNOW I'm right.

:)

artistry
Jan 2, 2003, 01:57 PM
So anyway, I went to drag the Now Up to Date conduit from 'disabled' where iSync put it, and I find that it has also put my NoteTake, Acrobat, project management and a couple of other conduits in there too for good measure.

Why?

Mmm... Now I could be a cynic and suggest it's just being really stupid, or could these conduits be incompatible with a future feature? Maybe Apple are at last going to allow us to sync our Palm memos without having to use Palm Desktop or Entourage? (Oh yes, something else that really annoys me!! ;) )

But moving third party conduits for no good reason - sounds very 'Microsoft' to me!

achmafooma
Jan 2, 2003, 02:16 PM
I saw this mentioned in passing somewhere once before (so I can't take credit for the idea) ... why not have iSync put Palm memos in a revamped Stickies program?

Some people seem to swear by stickies... I personally find them a bit too intrusive for my liking, but if it had some other options for display it might work well through iSync and a Palm.

Just a thought :-) I'm aching to get home to my Quicksilver to try out the updated apps!

PS: when I first went to post this I accidentally hit the "new thread" option instead of "post reply" and it ended up out there somewhere on the forums ... I tried to delete it but it gave me some error about not having permission. LOL! Newbie mistake, sorry!

sparkleytone
Jan 2, 2003, 02:22 PM
iSync (http://a1408.g.akamai.net/5/1408/1388/11d1b51b1e16a3/1a1a1acd38990667d0fe67d53baad839a91985ea187bea5786ef42bb298cbb0e509de9184aa4d303396a97c7fa326290c2f2 225585b6e6184693c5fc3577/iSync.dmg.bin)

iCal (http://a1408.g.akamai.net/5/1408/1388/e0ecfc6c3d9e89/1a1a1acd38990667d0fe67d53baad839a91985ea187bea5786ef3293ff2e81c3105c8bfa6de514447aabd8083b6b9ed00030 6393c4f426549afc6c9fd5/iCal.dmg.bin)

medea
Jan 2, 2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
iSync Direct Link (http://a1408.g.akamai.net/5/1408/1388/11d1b51b1e16a3/1a1a1acd38990667d0fe67d53baad839a91985ea187bea5786ef42bb298cbb0e509de9184aa4d303396a97c7fa326290c2f2 225585b6e6184693c5fc3577/iSync.dmg.bin)

iCal Direct Link (http://a1408.g.akamai.net/5/1408/1388/e0ecfc6c3d9e89/1a1a1acd38990667d0fe67d53baad839a91985ea187bea5786ef3293ff2e81c3105c8bfa6de514447aabd8083b6b9ed00030 6393c4f426549afc6c9fd5/iCal.dmg.bin)
sorry sparkleytone bit those links don't work.
and don't worry about it achmfooma, next time you do that just report the thread to a moderator and they will delete it.

bobindashadows
Jan 2, 2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by .a
iSync works, too.
i had no problems either with iCal nor with iSync.
...but .mac is down right now... what's up there? i wanted to check the .mac address book - the unly thing i get is a notice: server unreachable...
.a

I was just about to start a thread about this, I got a .mac subscription for xmas and i go to the activation site.... wait... wait.... about 3 minutes before the page loaded. THen it took about 5 tries to put in the information... and then the site was slow as death so i couldn't get any updates. It really pissed me off, i mean we pay 100 dollars a year, a fair price imo, and then as soon as we try to use it it dies. I'm trying to use backup right now, since i figure i might as well get everything out of .mac i can, and to back stuff up to my iDisk it takes 2 hours to do about 4 megs, then fails..... not good. THey amy have to dump the people they're workin with right now, this has happened before.

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 03:09 PM
I'm now 12 hours behind, according to iCal. This blows unless you're in the U.S. Doesn't Apple know anyone outside Cupertino exists? First the screw up with the Address Book, confusing Austria with Australia, the total uselessness of Sherlock, and now this. ****** it. I'm going PC.

mangoman
Jan 2, 2003, 03:13 PM
Easy Tiger. Easy. Don't go Mad Max on us, mate. Apple won't forget their friends down under. You can bet on that.

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by mangoman
Easy Tiger. Easy. Don't go Mad Max on us, mate. Apple won't forget their friends down under. You can bet on that.

Fine. But if they really tick me off - I'm gonna run 'em down with my car.

(Simpsonisms ease the pain).

Megaquad
Jan 2, 2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by adamcoop
I'm now 12 hours behind, according to iCal. This blows unless you're in the U.S. Doesn't Apple know anyone outside Cupertino exists? First the screw up with the Address Book, confusing Austria with Australia, the total uselessness of Sherlock, and now this. ****** it. I'm going PC.
I have two words for you - shut up.

mangoman
Jan 2, 2003, 03:21 PM
Shut up? Hey knucklehead, if a brothah can't blow a little steam now and then... Sheesh. I think adam and i oughta tie you to the front of a vehicle and flip the nitro switch. "We GO! We GO!" (Wez)

"Shut up".... (shakin' head).

:mad:

backspinner
Jan 2, 2003, 03:25 PM
Just one monday morning an Apple engineer took a cup of coffee and typed in his translucent terminal.app window
[localhost:~] engineer% make ical --debugcode=off

Thank you Apple!

I would send them 5 euro by PayPal if it was possible :-)

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 03:25 PM
Shut up? Hey knucklehead, if a brothah can't blow a little steam now and then... Sheesh. I think adam and i oughta tie you to the front of a vehicle and flip the nitro switch. "We GO! We GO!" (Wez)

"Shut up".... (shakin' head).

:mad:

Thanks Mangoman. Here, have some of my canned dog food.

mangoman
Jan 2, 2003, 03:30 PM
Delicious. Hop in my lil' airplane, Max. Don't mind my teeth...

sparkleytone
Jan 2, 2003, 03:31 PM
my computers time clock is messed up. thats it im switching!

i dont know what i can do about the links i posted. no matter how i try to post it, the forum screws up the formatting.

chewbaccapits
Jan 2, 2003, 03:34 PM
Dude..Where have you been?...

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
my computers time clock is messed up. thats it im switching!

i dont know what i can do about the links i posted. no matter how i try to post it, the forum screws up the formatting.

Here Sparkleytone, you have some too. It has very good calming qualities.

alset
Jan 2, 2003, 03:42 PM
Did iCal always maintain the actual date after closing it or is this a new feature? Sorry, I haven't ever used it much.

Dan

mnkeybsness
Jan 2, 2003, 04:14 PM
i installe dthe iCal update and sure it was much snappier...but suddenly when i wanted to resize the window...it went completely white...then when i would reopen it, i noticed that the all day events wouldn't be visible on the top of weekly and daily calendars...

but then i installed it again and it seems to work great...

...very odd

sparkleytone
Jan 2, 2003, 04:49 PM

Here Sparkleytone, you have some too. It has very good calming qualities.

oh DAMN, your mom just ate the last bite! ;)

Beej
Jan 2, 2003, 05:05 PM
OK, now without resorting to switching to the dark side and offering people dog food (:)), I'm going to let everyone know that I'm also in Australia, and the times in iCal are totally whack.

Eg, it's 10:00 AM now. When I double-click on 9:00 AM in todays column in iCal to create a new appointment, the time at the top of the box is 3:12 AM.

In fact, no matter where I click, the time is 6h 48min slow.

If this is in fact an Australia-only problem, then it just adds to the theory Apple doesn't realise our whopping-great fraking-huge continent exists. Anyone want to add to this list? I know there's more:
Sherlock 3
iPhoto prints
Address Book
iCal...

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Beej
OK, now without resorting to switching to the dark side and offering people dog food (:)), I'm going to let everyone know that I'm also in Australia, and the times in iCal are totally whack.

Eg, it's 10:00 AM now. When I double-click on 9:00 AM in todays column in iCal to create a new appointment, the time at the top of the box is 3:12 AM.

In fact, no matter where I click, the time is 6h 48min slow.

If this is in fact an Australia-only problem, then it just adds to the theory Apple doesn't realise our whopping-great fraking-huge continent doesn't exist. Anyone want to add to this list? I know there's more:
Sherlock 3
iPhoto prints
Address Book
iCal...

There was a guy in Hawaii that reported the same thing, so we can assume this is not just a retribution from Steve because he didn't like vegemite.

Oh, and Buffy's bedroom sounds good. Does iCal work in there? Maybe I should move to Anya's.

redAPPLE
Jan 2, 2003, 05:22 PM

OK. OK. JUST DO IT. GO. LEAVE. STILL HERE? LEAVE NOW. GO PC. :o

redAPPLE
Jan 2, 2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by alset
Did iCal always maintain the actual date after closing it or is this a new feature? Sorry, I haven't ever used it much.

Dan

YES IT DID.

Beej
Jan 2, 2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by redAPPLE

OK. OK. JUST DO IT. GO. LEAVE. STILL HERE? LEAVE NOW. GO PC. :o
Originally posted by redAPPLE

YES IT DID. Hey buddy, turn off your caps lock key, please.

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 05:51 PM
So much anger in these posts.
Everyone needs to chill.

Must be those buggy programs annoying people.

joed
Jan 2, 2003, 06:28 PM
I'm in Australia and having the same problem with iCal.

It's 11:26am Friday 3rd, but iCal says today is Thursday 2nd.

I also have my preferences set on Sunday as the start of the week, but in month view it starts with Monday. Also the times in the preference window start at 6:12am and go up in 1 hours.

And switching between the calendar types event move when I enter them and then iCal crashes. Sometimes the dates are one day behind, eg Friday 2nd January on month view. Other times the window doesn't refresh properly moving from one calendar type to another. Something is seriously wrong here! I think I might try reinstalling it.

James.

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I'm patiently waiting a fix, the software to be pulled from VersionTracker, or a new iBook for every person in Australia. (I won't be greedy - I'm not expecting a tower.)

TheT
Jan 2, 2003, 06:46 PM
I tried enabling the Menu bar item in iSync, and all of a sudden, my mac just completely logged out by itself and then back in, without any notice or password-confiramtion...
After checking that box in the prefs, I just saw that spinning wheel (the one you get when shutting down) and all apps (even the Finder) quitted and restarted... anyone else had this problem? I still can't see that menu bar item though... don't wanna try it again :rolleyes:

CTYankee
Jan 2, 2003, 06:55 PM
If iCal and iSync are out MWSF should have some good stuff. I'm looking forward to this one. Seems to be a lot going on in Apple R&D. Though I have to say, I somewhat dread what they may announce. This is my first new mac (DP867) and I have not yet had to deal with seeing what I got a few months ago cost hundreds less. Then there is also the thoughts of...."ohhhh, I could have dual 1.4ghz processors!" Though I HIGHLY doubt that. Then there is the issue of Final Cut 4. I hope its not that good, I am not spending more money on software for a while (FCP3, Boris Red, Photoshop...all since the new G4).

So keep it simple Apple, my wallet and stomach can't take too many big announcements ;)

Beej
Jan 2, 2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by joed
I'm in Australia and having the same problem with iCal.

It's 11:26am Friday 3rd, but iCal says today is Thursday 2nd.
Yep, iCal has the wrong date for me, too. Says it's th 2nd, but it's the 3rd. (And yes, my system date and time is correct.)

TheT
Jan 2, 2003, 07:04 PM
Yep, iCal has the wrong date for me, too. Says it's th 2nd, but it's the 3rd. (And yes, my system date and time is correct.)
No Problems here in Germany. According to CET, it's 2 AM now, that would be 5 PM in Cupertino... iCal says it's the 3rd, though it's the 2nd in California... so it's working just fine here.

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 07:18 PM
Maybe it is a vegemite thing then.

joed
Jan 2, 2003, 07:29 PM
I sent Apple some feedback on the problems, so hopefully they're working on a fix. But really, they should pull the download until it's fixed (for Australia anyway).

In it's current state, I really can't use it.

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 07:59 PM
There is actually a forum on the Apple discussion boards:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@@.3bbd7fc4/1!login=true

Many, many people have been a little annoyed with this.

joed
Jan 2, 2003, 08:14 PM
There is actually a forum on the Apple discussion boards:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@@.3bbd7fc4/1!login=true

Many, many people have been a little annoyed with this.

Yeah, I've just been reading the posts. It seems the problem is occuring for people outside the US mainland and possibly something to do with the OSX clock sync - which seems weird. Don't understand why Apple doesn't pull the download!

gairloch
Jan 2, 2003, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheT

No Problems here in Germany. According to CET, it's 2 AM now, that would be 5 PM in Cupertino... iCal says it's the 3rd, though it's the 2nd in California... so it's working just fine here. [/QUOTE

No problems here in South Korea, either. The date is correct, the time is correct,....

AND my monthly view starts on Monday - just like it is set in my preferences. [There was a post above about this not working].

If you're experiencing troubles, I'd suggest reinstalling the program.

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by gairloch

If you're experiencing troubles, I'd suggest reinstalling the program.

Yep. tried that (including removing the package receipts, as well as all preferences etc).

Still no go.

medea
Jan 2, 2003, 08:41 PM
Well everyone that is experiencing an issue should send feedback to Apple, I'm sure they will have a fix out soon.

artistry
Jan 2, 2003, 09:00 PM
I'm gonna see if AppleScript could deal with converting notes to stickies. I've got a convoluted idea in my head... ;)

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by artistry
I'm gonna see if AppleScript could deal with converting notes to stickies. I've got a convoluted idea in my head... ;)

There's a keyboard shortcut for it (shft + cmd + y), so I can't imagine it'd be too hard...

What do you have in mind?

Xenex
Jan 2, 2003, 09:08 PM
There was a guy in Hawaii that reported the same thing, so we can assume this is not just a retribution from Steve because he didn't like vegemite.
Maybe it is a vegemite thing then.
No no, it's not a vegemite thing! Vegemite is totally and utterly vegan, and is a rich source of vitamin B! Everyone loves vitamin B!

"We're happy little vegemites, as bright as bright can be..."

artistry
Jan 2, 2003, 09:11 PM
Sorry - bit of a gap between the original comment and my reply!

The idea is to allow memos on a Palm to be converted into stickies so that you don't need to use Palm Desktop or Entourage, which seem pretty stupid as iCal, Mail and Address Book make most of those apps obsolete.

My idea involves getting the memos in the form of .txt documents and converting those into stickies, maybe giving a different colour depending on category. I can think of a way to do it. I can't see it being of any use whatsoever, but it's a challenge! :D

But seriously, it does seem silly that the memo capability of Palms isn't catered for in Apple's iApps. If you use memos on Palms you either need to keep Entourage/Palm Desktop (so what's the point in using iCal etc?) or a third party alternative which aren't as elegant.

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 09:23 PM
I don't have a Palm, so excuse my ignorance, but when you connect the Palm to your Mac, does it mount like an iPod, or do you need Palm Desktop just to see what's on the thing?

If it did mount, that'd make things very easy.

adamcoop
Jan 2, 2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Xenex

"We're happy little vegemites, as bright as bright can be..."

Mental note: Don't giggle to self while at work.

TMJ1974
Jan 3, 2003, 09:02 AM
YAY! Coming 07 Jan, I can see my address book anywhere! I have been waiting for this feature.

I know it's been a target of alot of complaints, but, .mac is working for me very well. I enjoy the games, the email (with this address book) and the anit-virus make it worth it. I haven't gotten around to doing a homepage yet, but, at least I know it's available to me.

Tim

achmafooma
Jan 3, 2003, 09:38 AM
I don't have a Palm, so excuse my ignorance, but when you connect the Palm to your Mac, does it mount like an iPod, or do you need Palm Desktop just to see what's on the thing?

If it did mount, that'd make things very easy.
Everything works through Palm Desktop's HotSync application. It's the only method by which the Palm device and the computer can talk to one another that I know of.

There's no way to "mount" the Palm as an external drive. If I'm wrong though, let me know :-) I'd half like to be able to.

My first handheld experience was when I was still in the Windows world with one of the first Pocket PCs, and those could be mounted like a disk to some level. It took some getting used to the Palm way of doing things, can't say which I like better though ... I'm not really sure.

achmafooma
Jan 3, 2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by artistry
My idea involves getting the memos in the form of .txt documents and converting those into stickies, maybe giving a different colour depending on category. I can think of a way to do it. I can't see it being of any use whatsoever, but it's a challenge! :D

But seriously, it does seem silly that the memo capability of Palms isn't catered for in Apple's iApps.
That's a good idea. I'm trying to think of something other than Stickies that they could be synced with though, I'm wondering if anybody would be interested in coding some kind of iNote organizer application that fits more with the iApps (with Stickies-like functionality for those who prefer it), complete with a Palm conduit ;-)

lol, no harm in asking right? I'd do it myself, but I only dabble in programming and a Palm Conduit would be way over my head.

More on-topic, the iCal and iSync updates went 90% well with me. iCal is much speedier. iSync did some duplication (all the holidays, oddly enough, but no other calendar items were duplicated) and I got an odd glitch in my Address Book that duplicated a lot of people's email addresses as WORK and HOME.

Interestingly, both of these things happened when I first installed the iSync beta :-) and now again with the final. I guess I should wait for iSync 2, third-install's the charm right?

geeman
Jan 3, 2003, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Beej

If this is in fact an Australia-only problem, then it just adds to the theory Apple doesn't realise our whopping-great fraking-huge continent exists.

I think you'll find that Australia is a country, mate.

Australasia is the continent.

;)

MacKid
Jan 3, 2003, 05:23 PM
:( I downloaded the new versions of iCal and iSync yesterday, and iCal is fine, but iSync has become totallly unresponsive. Does anybody know what I should do?

Beej
Jan 3, 2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by geeman

If this is in fact an Australia-only problem, then it just adds to the theory Apple doesn't realise our whopping-great fraking-huge continent exists.

I think you'll find that Australia is a country, mate.

Australasia is the continent.

;) Please note that this is supposed to be informatie, not rude :)... Time for a geography lesson. Why is it that no one knows anything about Australia?

Australia is a continent.
Australia is the largest island in the world.
Australia is the only country that occupies and entire continent.

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa050397.htm?terms=continents

You may also like to see this, more about continents:
http://geography.about.com/sitesearch.htm?terms=continents&SUName=geography&TopNode=3042&type=1

Oh, and here are some bonus points for you :D:
Australians are friendly. :):):):):)
Australians do NOT speak like Steve Irwin, the crocidile hunter.
Australia's population is about 20 million.
No one outside Australia seems to know anything about Australia.

And here is a map of the world:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/

Australasia is the term used to refer to the blue section on the above map. Australiasia is not a continent.

orthodoc
Jan 3, 2003, 06:03 PM
Some people outside of Australia already knew this. :D I know how you feel, many people don't know that Texas is its own country (at least, we native Texans think it still is). ;)

mangoman
Jan 4, 2003, 12:36 PM
Ahhh, the 'Don't mess with Texas' thing again. Here's an idea, take a Texas-size chainsaw, cut your state__sorry, country__away from the rest of the U.S. and float out to sea. WooHoo! ByeBYe! (waving from the shore in Oklahoma)

Geronimo
Jan 4, 2003, 02:50 PM
I had lots of problems getting iSync to play nice with my Palm. After much headbanging and consulting different discussion threads, I came across the fact that Apple has an iSync beta uninstaller in the support section of their website. So if you're having problems with iSync 1.0 and you installed it over iSync beta, use the beta uninstaller and then reinstall v1.0.

You can find it here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120160

Other things to remember: Before attempting to install iSync 1.0, you first need to install iCal 1.0.1 because iSync 1.0 will not work with the original iCal 1.0. Second, its a good idea to backup your Address Book and iCal data before trying to sync. If you are a .mac member, their Backup app works nicely to do this, saving your data to your iDisk. Third, if the data in your Address Book and iCal is all OK and there isn't anything on your device that you don't already have on your Mac, before you try to sync with other devices, I would suggest setting iSync so that the first sync with the device erases any data on the device before syncing.

Hope this is helpful.

kanaka
Jan 4, 2003, 07:13 PM

I'm in Hawaii, and I can comfirm that my iCal has completely flipped out. If I create a new event and put 2:13pm in the 'New Event' window, the box in the calendar says '2:00', and it actually appears in the 8:15am time slot. The time controls in the 'new event' window are completely unusable -- if I use the number keys an hour 6 hours ahead is displayed in the info window (which of course doesn't match anything displayed in the main iCal window), and if I use the time-arrows it skips huge spans of time!

-Keaka

adamcoop
Jan 5, 2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by kanaka

I'm in Hawaii, and I can comfirm that my iCal has completely flipped out. If I create a new event and put 2:13pm in the 'New Event' window, the box in the calendar says '2:00', and it actually appears in the 8:15am time slot. The time controls in the 'new event' window are completely unusable -- if I use the number keys an hour 6 hours ahead is displayed in the info window (which of course doesn't match anything displayed in the main iCal window), and if I use the time-arrows it skips huge spans of time!

-Keaka

Just a thought... do they sell vegemite in Hawaii?

But seriously, how long do you think it'll take to get an bug fix out?

mangoman
Jan 5, 2003, 02:21 PM
:) No vegemite that I ever found while livin' in da islands, bra. But sushi on the counter at your local 7-11. Man, I miss that place....

adamcoop
Jan 5, 2003, 03:26 PM
Gotta be a little wary of 7-11 sushi, don't you?

medea
Jan 5, 2003, 03:52 PM
Gotta be a little wary of 7-11 sushi, don't you?
That's what I was thinking.....
As of yet still have not had any issues with iCal 1.0.1 , but I read somewhere (can't remember) that a fix was supposed to be out soon later this month, could be wrong though.

adamcoop
Jan 5, 2003, 04:59 PM
At least they're aware now.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75467&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous|161196669

mangoman
Jan 5, 2003, 05:06 PM
Believe it or not, there's so much sushi goin' round down there that you can trust the quality. Even at ol' 7-11. Anyone currently there wanna verify this so I don't sound like some sentimental hack?

Aloha,

mm

(sorry to take this off topic...again)

Beej
Jan 5, 2003, 07:34 PM
There's now an update to iCal, v 1.0.2. A 10.4 meg d/l.

www.apple.com/ical

I'd like to say thanks to Apple for releasing a patch so quickly (it fixes all the problems I've encountered with it), but it was disappointing that they released such a flawed update in the first place.

Potus
Jan 5, 2003, 07:43 PM
Can't find the patch...

Beej
Jan 5, 2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Potus
Can't find the patch... Australia:
http://www.apple.com.au/ical/download/index.html

US:
http://www.apple.com/ical/download/index.html

mangoman
Jan 5, 2003, 07:47 PM
adamcoop... where are ya, mate? Tell us this iCal patch worked for ya.

adamcoop
Jan 5, 2003, 07:48 PM
adamcoop... where are ya, mate? Tell us this iCal patch worked for ya.

Hold on - I'll download it now.

mangoman
Jan 5, 2003, 07:50 PM
...for lettin' us know about the patch.

adamcoop
Jan 5, 2003, 07:52 PM
Downloaded (500k/s)!
Thinking... Thinking...

Optimizing...

Thinking some more...

adamcoop
Jan 5, 2003, 07:58 PM
** Does Snoopy Dance around office **

Yay! It works.
Well, I can't see any problems with it, connects to our WebDav server no problems, and, most importantly, displays the correct date and time.

Beej
Jan 5, 2003, 08:05 PM
The new iSync feature "Reset All Devices..." is great after having stuffed up a heap of iCal type stuff with the 1.0.1 update.

joed
Jan 5, 2003, 08:05 PM
adamcoop.

Are all your event in their rightful place? The times in the preference window showing hours? Entering a new event is displayed in the correct time slot and day?

I won't be able to download it until tonight. They were pretty quick with the update. I wasn't expecting it until late tonight or early in the morning.

adamcoop
Jan 5, 2003, 08:13 PM
Yep, the preferences now show whole hours, not 12 minutes past, as before.

I deleted all of my old calendars, preferences etc, when trying to get 1.0.1 to work, so I can't say whether existing calendars will import okay.

Creating a new entry works as it should.