Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
So I bought a Google Edition Galaxy S4 the other day.
Tonight I *almost* dropped it.. but I caught it. After that.. the screen wouldn't turn on. No cracks or anything. The phone is fully operational but the screen is out.

If I pull the battery out and try and turn it back on.. the screen flashes on for about 1 second on the "Google" screen and then back off.. so I can see that the display itself and the digitizer work.

What would you do in this situation. My phone is rooted so I can't really send it to Samsung.. can I?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So I bought a Google Edition Galaxy S4 the other day.
Tonight I *almost* dropped it.. but I caught it. After that.. the screen wouldn't turn on. No cracks or anything. The phone is fully operational but the screen is out.

If I pull the battery out and try and turn it back on.. the screen flashes on for about 1 second on the "Google" screen and then back off.. so I can see that the display itself and the digitizer work.

What would you do in this situation. My phone is rooted so I can't really send it to Samsung.. can I?

I'd use the mhl usb hdmi and see if you get a screen on the TV. Then go into superuser settings and choose unroot.

After that try doing a factory restore, it might not work but it'll at least wipe the phone before sending back for repair.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I'd use the mhl usb hdmi and see if you get a screen on the TV. Then go into superuser settings and choose unroot.

After that try doing a factory restore, it might not work but it'll at least wipe the phone before sending back for repair.

I bought an mhl usb hdmi, but how do I get it to mirror the devices display?

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
It should automatically do so ? I know it did for me with my S4, though I did have touchwiz! could it be GE doesn't support hdmi ??? :( :(

It does support it, but the only way I know is to go to Settings -> Display -> Wireless display On

That would be tricky to do without the display.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It does support it, but the only way I know is to go to Settings -> Display -> Wireless display On

That would be tricky to do without the display.

I bought the official samsung mhl adapter the other day and it mirrors the display when it is plugged in. There is no button pressing to activate the wired connection. I believe that setting is for miracast, haven't tried that yet.

As far as your warranty issue, do you think that the device is booting? I guess that's what youre trying to establish. I am under the impression that after unrooting superSU you can send the i9505g back for warranty service. I assume you rooted using fastboot CWM recovery w/ ADB and kept the stock recovery installed? If true, supersu should be the only detectable entity on your device, from what I understand.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I bought the official samsung mhl adapter the other day and it mirrors the display when it is plugged in. There is no button pressing to activate the wired connection. I believe that setting is for miracast, haven't tried that yet.

As far as your warranty issue, do you think that the device is booting? I guess that's what youre trying to establish. I am under the impression that after unrooting superSU you can send the i9505g back for warranty service. I assume you rooted using fastboot CWM recovery w/ ADB and kept the stock recovery installed? If true, supersu should be the only detectable entity on your device, from what I understand.

Where did you buy the official Samsung MHL adapter? Tbe device is booting and fully operational. The display is just out.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Where did you buy the official Samsung MHL adapter? Tbe device is booting and fully operational. The display is just out.

registered the device on samsung.com they send a 50% off coupon on any acc under 50$, then bought mhl 2.0 adapter and spare battery kit

I was afraid to order it from anywhere else

macred

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
LAX & beyond
registered the device on samsung.com they send a 50% off coupon on any acc under 50$, then bought mhl 2.0 adapter and spare battery kit

I was afraid to order it from anywhere else

I did the same thing, what surprised me was how fast the service was. I almost didn't bother to register, now I'm happy I did.

DunnElden

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013
While the 1.9GHz quad-core processor is no longer one of the fastest on the market it still gives the Galaxy S4 plenty of pep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.