Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
I have a 2012 iMac. It has a secondary display attached through HDMI. It runs Mountain Lion.
I just an Apple TV.

I can mirror the primary iMac screen.

I would like to instead mirror the secondary display.

Is this possible?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Not until Maverics becomes available. Even then, aTV screen will appear as independent 3rd display alongside internal and HDMI screens, imho.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Not until Maverics becomes available. Even then, aTV screen will appear as independent 3rd display alongside internal and HDMI screens, imho.

Thanks. I was hoping if it didn't work now with ML, it would with Mavericks.
(I don't care if it's a third screen rather than mirroring the second...it's more I want anything that's NOT_main-screen.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
AirParrot can do that with Mountain Lion, although it's functionality built-in to Mavericks.

Thanks...I discovered AirParrot after my last post here. I'm look at it if it's "application only" mode could be used with VLC,

(Given the lack of much talk regarding VLC and AirParrot I can find googling around, I'm guessing it's not great? )

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I'm look at it if it's "application only" mode could be used with VLC
I'm not sure I understand how that would work?

AirParrot has three modes: Display (mimics AirPlay Mirroring to an Apple TV), Extend Desktop (uses Apple TV as additional display via AirPlay), or Specific App (mimics AirPlay Mirroring but only mirrors a single app). I would imagine VLC just remote-controls a display or multiple displays, in Specific App mode AirParrot's not extending the Apple TV to be an additional display.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Thanks. I was hoping if it didn't work now with ML, it would with Mavericks.
(I don't care if it's a third screen rather than mirroring the second...it's more I want anything that's NOT_main-screen.

Yep, Mavericks has you covered. It'll be out by the end of the month.

97LpFLO.png

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
I'm not sure I understand how that would work?

AirParrot has three modes: Display (mimics AirPlay Mirroring to an Apple TV), Extend Desktop (uses Apple TV as additional display via AirPlay), or Specific App (mimics AirPlay Mirroring but only mirrors a single app). I would imagine VLC just remote-controls a display or multiple displays, in Specific App mode AirParrot's not extending the Apple TV to be an additional display.

Well right now, a major thing would be watching non-iTunes compatable media, of which I have A LOT, on my nice big living room tv.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Well right now, a major thing would be watching non-iTunes compatable media, of which I have A LOT, on my nice big living room tv.
Mavericks is due out next week (probably only $20), you will be able to use Apple TV for second monitor, play full-screen video there, and still use your main monitor on your Mac at the same time. With Apple's Remote app on an iOS device you can control that video on the Apple TV, so you don't have to be in the same room with your Mac.

kaess

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
Mavericks is due out next week (probably only $20), you will be able to use Apple TV for second monitor, play full-screen video there, and still use your main monitor on your Mac at the same time. With Apple's Remote app on an iOS device you can control that video on the Apple TV, so you don't have to be in the same room with your Mac.

Has anyone tried this yet? In my experience, Airplay Mirroring video content with Mountain Lion lags and stutters. Does using Extended screen with Mavericks improve video playback from Mac to Apple TV?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Has anyone tried this yet? In my experience, Airplay Mirroring video content with Mountain Lion lags and stutters. Does using Extended screen with Mavericks improve video playback from Mac to Apple TV?

I've done YouTube vids this way, worked fine - but I never had problems under ML either. The benefit now of course is that I can do something else on the MBA while the video plays on the ATV.

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005

I did a test from my mini to my wife's 13" pro with AirServer installed on it (don't have an aTV yet, wanted to test this before I bought one). Both were connected via wifi. Although it only showed in 720p for some odd reason (I suspect an issue with AirServer), it worked amazingly well. Mouse and scrolling were very fluid. Only issue was occasional aliasing around text due to compression but I suspect that could be mitigated if not eliminated by hardwiring the connections. Aside from that minor issue, it was just like having the screen actually connected to my mini. YMMV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.