Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Politis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I am thinking of getting a Nokia Lumia windows phone (I cannot afford iPhone :eek: ) ). Right now I have an old phone that makes calls and sends txt only. Are the two easily compatible?

I want the Nokia to interact with my MBP laptop when I transfer pics to or from the phone; when I transfer word files to or from the phone; and some tunes).

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I have a Lumia 900. Its a beautiful phone (hardware wise), but Windows Phone sux big time!
No proper appstore, no vpn, constant crashes, no support from nokia or microsoft, requires you to constantly enable location services for everything, pathetic appstore is bound to your ip adress, and so on.
You can use windows phone connector to connect to mbp via usb. Bluetooth does not work. Transfering files is best done through cloud. Transfering anything via windows phone connector works sometimes, but sometimes not :confused:
I recommend the lumia 620. U can get it for about 120€.

Politis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I have a Lumia 900. Its a beautiful phone (hardware wise), but Windows Phone sux big time!
... I recommend the lumia 620. U can get it for about 120€.

Do you now wish you had gone for an Android or something? It sound like you are happy with your choice but not with Nokia Window phone in general?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Do you now wish you had gone for an Android or something? It sound like you are happy with your choice but not with Nokia Window phone in general?

I have mixed feelings.
No. I would not choose android. I think its buggy and unsafe.
Honestly: Get an iphone if u can.
You can get a 4s with 8gb for about 350,-
Lumias r tempting, cuz they look nice, but u will miss the :apple: itunes and appstore. I know I do!

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
MS has an official app in the mac app store. I used it with a Lumia 920 and it worked very much like using iTunes with an iPhone works.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
There's Windows Phone connector.

WP8 is practically the only mobile OS that syncs natively with a Mac properly, thanks to WP Connector. It's the most Mac-friendly non-iOS OS.

I snub Android, because I hate open platforms, because of the security risks and vulnerabilities. Closed environments work better and smoother in a more unified way. And are more secure, above all.

Letting an OEM tweak the OS means having the original OS being bloated up, slowing down the entire user experience.

I use a Lumia 1020 and iPhone 5s. They're both great, and I use them equally. The Lumia for work and photography and the 5s for games, Instagram and music.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Just make sure you have OSX 10.7 or higher for Windows Connect. My Lumia 1020 doesn't work on my old Macbook.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am thinking of getting a Nokia Lumia windows phone (I cannot afford iPhone :eek: ) ). Right now I have an old phone that makes calls and sends txt only. Are the two easily compatible?

I want the Nokia to interact with my MBP laptop when I transfer pics to or from the phone; when I transfer word files to or from the phone; and some tunes).
This should be no problem at all for you. Download dropbox for your MBP and install it. The install it on your Lumia (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/dropbox/c6ac78a7-6bab-492a-827f-f21b8f3195ae) Enable the feature in dropbox that uploads and syncs all picture taken with you lumia to dropbox. This will also sync it with the dropbox client installed on your MBP. This way dropbox works just like Photostream only better. You can also upload and store all of your documents and files you want to dropbox. these files will be available on any computer PC/Mac that has the dropbox client installed on it.

----------

There's Windows Phone connector.

WP8 is practically the only mobile OS that syncs natively with a Mac properly, thanks to WP Connector. It's the most Mac-friendly non-iOS OS.

I snub Android, because I hate open platforms, because of the security risks and vulnerabilities. Closed environments work better and smoother in a more unified way. And are more secure, above all.

Letting an OEM tweak the OS means having the original OS being bloated up, slowing down the entire user experience.

I use a Lumia 1020 and iPhone 5s. They're both great, and I use them equally. The Lumia for work and photography and the 5s for games, Instagram and music.
Nice tip about WP Connector. But as for your assumption about open source software is misplaced. Linux runs most of the web servers in the world. It is widely known as the most secure operating system available. But ANY operating system can be compromised...closed platforms or open platforms have exploits and vulnerabilities. The mac platform OSX is based on Unix/Linux. Android is based on SELinux......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.