Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joemolomo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2008
Hi I was showing off some of the newly designed features of iOS 7 to an android friend, and he instantly noticed this on the notification centre, look how the top row of buttons is off centre, is this right? or just a massive mistake, reminds me of the whole calendar number 1 escapade. I've measured the pixels on photoshop using a screen grab from ios simulator, its 10pixels on the left and 14 pixels on the right, so definitely off.

Attachments

• notif_center.png
    notif_center.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 263

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It looks intentional to me.

The extra 4 pixels means it lines up with the carrier on the left, and the bulk of the battery on the right (excluding the little noggin).

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Hi I was showing off some of the newly designed features of iOS 7 to an android friend, and he instantly noticed this on the notification centre, look how the top row of buttons is off centre, is this right? or just a massive mistake, reminds me of the whole calendar number 1 escapade. I've measured the pixels on photoshop using a screen grab from ios simulator, its 10pixels on the left and 14 pixels on the right, so definitely off.

I don't get it, it's centered, you just have the left side hi lighted so the human eye sees it as skewed. Select the middle option and it'll appear centered.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH

The extra 4 pixels means it lines up with the carrier on the left, and the bulk of the battery on the right (excluding the little noggin).

Correct. It IS off-center but it's meant to line up with the UI elements in the menu.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Yes, it's off center on mine too and I don't care. Looks fine.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

But it doesn't. Perhaps it's because of the letter C rather than the dots, but the menu is not aligned with the carrier. How does it look when the charging icon is on the right? Seems like a misalignment to me, I doubt it's intentional.

Also, when looking at older screenshots, the gap is not there on the right-hand side.

Last edited:

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
If this is for real, then yes, according to your calculations, it's off centre. However it's only half a millimeter off, soooo..... I'm not a software designer, I work in construction, but half a mm is pretty negligible. Even on my 4s. Please don't point this out to Apple. They already have plenty of other things to improve.

Last edited:

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
If this is for real, then yes, according to your calculations, it's off centre. However it's only half a millimeter off, soooo..... I'm not a software designer, I work in construction, but half a mm is pretty negligible. Even on my 4s. Please don't point this out to Apple. They already have plenty of other things to improve.

It is a big deal in design, but like it was pointed out, it was intentional to line up with the menu.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like it might not be perfectly aligned in the micro view of things, but fits in better in the macro view of things, so in the overall sense it seems like was probably the better way to go.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012

A millimeter is nothing when the entire canvas is yards long but when it's only a couple inches, its significant.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Someone please post that pic of captain Picard with his hands on his forehead because that is how I feel about this on :)

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011

Am I the only one that can notice that this picture looks weird??

1. When you pull down the Notification Center, it gets blurry, you can't read the name of the apps, yet, in OP's picture you can read the name of the apps and see the icons.

2. If this is a screenshot, how come the picture is 646px wide and it has two white bars on the left and on the right.

3. How come it has no signal dots and no carrier name.

I think that when someone wants to make a point and uses a weird abnormal picture it can't be taken seriously.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

Why would you show us this?

I'll never look at notification center the same way again.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Am I the only one that can notice that this picture looks weird??

1. When you pull down the Notification Center, it gets blurry, you can't read the name of the apps, yet, in OP's picture you can read the name of the apps and see the icons.

2. If this is a screenshot, how come the picture is 646px wide and it has two white bars on the left and on the right.

3. How come it has no signal dots and no carrier name.

I think that when someone wants to make a point and uses a weird abnormal picture it can't be taken seriously.

It's a screen grab of iOS 7 running on the iOS simulator in Xcode. Looks like it might be running on an iPhone 4 where the blur effect doesn't happen. The white bars are probably there from the way the OP took the screen grab. But, if you want proof, just look at your phone and you can see the design is off center.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
It's a screen grab of iOS 7 running on the iOS simulator in Xcode. Looks like it might be running on an iPhone 4 where the blur effect doesn't happen. The white bars are probably there from the way the OP took the screen grab. But, if you want proof, just look at your phone and you can see the design is off center.

My bad, I can see what OP was talking about, I thought he was talking about the time, but now I see the tab (Today/All/Missed) is 10px to the left and 14px to the right.

Ok, so I looked at the screenshots that I took from the betas.

Picture 1 BETA 4
Picture 2 BETA 5

From beta 1 to beta 4 it looks clearly how it's ok (10px right, 10px left), and then it changed in beta 5 and all the way to the GM and 7.0.2 (14px right, 10pxleft)

Attachments

• 4.4.PNG
    4.4.PNG
    36.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 4.5.PNG
    4.5.PNG
    59.5 KB · Views: 97

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Is this on an iphone 5s? If it is, it probably because of compassgate and everything is off by 3 degrees. :D

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
If it bothers you, do this...

I run a strip of black masking tape down the right hand side of my iPhone screen before I use Notification Centre and simply remove it when I come out of it.

The tape is available from most Apple stores but you need to ask for it, its called "iBlacktapetocentralizenotificationcentre"

To be serious for a second tho.......

It is off centre but only by a Gnats chuff but like others have mentioned "I'm gonna notice this every time now!!"

Reminds me of the time my wife pointed out 1 dead pixel on our plasma TV, ruined my TV viewing until the set was replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.