Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mavericks_round_icon-250x254.jpg
Apple has asked developers to submit apps that take advantage of new features in OS X Mavericks.
Make sure your app takes advantage of the great new features in OS X Mavericks when the world's most advanced desktop operating system becomes available to millions of customers later this fall. Download OS X Mavericks GM seed and Xcode 5.0.1 GM seed, now available on the Mac Dev Center. Build your apps with these latest seeds, then test and submit them to the Mac App Store.
At the beginning of October, Apple began training its AppleCare staff on OS X Mavericks and the company has publicly stated the OS will be coming later "this fall".

The release of the new OS is expected to be announced during the media event on October 22.

Article Link: Apple Asks Developers to Update Apps for Mavericks Ahead of October 22 Media Event

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Developers and Apple should be making sure their code gracefully falls back so that applications, and OSs can be used on older hardware and OSs. Legacy support is important.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Developers and Apple should be making sure their code gracefully falls back so that applications, and OSs can be used on older hardware and OSs. Legacy support is important.

I've heard that all before. But hey, it's too difficult to put Rosetta on Lion. Technologically impossible (although we made our MacBooks thinner and lighter!) ;)

ka-spot

Suspended
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
"The release of the new OS is expected to be announced during the media event on October 22."

What? Are expecting announcment or release? Cuz I'm hopping for release :D

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Aaaaah a single thread isn't going to mention either Samsung or Android -- oh dang it, I just did.

Seriously, this is great news. I especially have high hopes for major improvements even on such "tiny" things as iCal, TextEdit and Preview.

I hope the gains in usability from Mav's are as great as those in iOS7!

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Jon (poison) Ive - bringing you the magic of Android to your perfect (Job's-designed) Mac near you.
Can't wait to install OS-Android Mavericks !!!:p Yay!

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Aaaaah a single thread isn't going to mention either Samsung or Android -- oh dang it, I just did.

Seriously, this is great news. I especially have high hopes for major improvements even on such "tiny" things as iCal, TextEdit and Preview.

I hope the gains in usability from Mav's are as great as those in iOS7!

TextEdit: bring back Save As!

----------

All in for merging the desktop and mobile environments :D Seamless!

As long as it's not a lowest common denominator proposition. Don't hobble things for the average user in the name of not scaring new users away.

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
I still think it's strange that this year's OS X is released in October instead of the usual July-August, but I guess it's following the "It'll release when it's done." I hope it looks polished!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.