Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tweetdeck.png
Twitter today updated TweetDeck for Mac to version 3.3.3, with several additions that are designed to make it easier for users to preview images, Tweet and send direct messages.

The updated version of TweetDeck features a redesigned Tweet Panel, located in a column on the left hand side of the program. Though the panel is designed to close after a Tweet is sent, there is an option to keep it open at all times for quicker Tweet access.

There's a new inline reply feature for quicker Tweet replies, and the New Tweet panel now supports previews of text and images. Autocompletion support for names and hashtags is also a newly added feature.
What's New
Several updates to make it easier to Tweet, send DMs, and preview images to share:
- Write Tweets in docked panel on the left with an option to keep it open all the time
- Reply to Tweets easily and quickly using inline reply
- Preview images in the New Tweet panel before sharing them
- Typeahead suggestions for usernames and hashtags
TweetDeck can be downloaded for free from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: TweetDeck Updated With Docked Tweet Panel, Inline Reply Feature

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
I can't get used to Twitter clients. I change them quite often. In my opinion, Tweetbot is the best for Mac, and Twitteriffic looks great on iOS7.

Have a nice day!

^MPY

Tweetbot is £13.99. Tweetdeck is free.

I can't personally justify spending that sort of money on Tweetbot. Maybe at £1.99 or similar but it just strikes me as far too much for a twitter client.

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I have yet to find a client that refreshes searches automatically. I would definitely pay a little extra for that feature.

Morris

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
London, Europe
It is a shame TweetDeck's scheduling system is still horribly broken. Their clock bug which means they do not use a 12 hour clock or a 24 clock but both at the same time means that scheduled tweets can be off by 12 hours. TweetDeck is not a serious product if you risk sending Tweets for your company's new campaign out 12 hours too early or 12 hour after the event, or not at all because they are scheduled in the past.

For example, if you enter a time of 14:00 because your product launch needs to hit various carefully selected timezones and two in the afternoon local time fits perfectly, TweetDeck will show 14:00 AM (a time which doesn't exist) and schedule the Tweet for 12 hours too early at two in the morning. If you are scheduling your Tweets days in advance it will mean your Tweets go out 12 hours too early. If you typically schedule in the morning of the launch this means it is scheduled in the past and will never go out. I am not asking for it being millisecond precise but scheduling being off by 12 hours(!) makes it unusable.

A simple change to use the 24 hour clock (unmissable for any global product anyway because few people understand AM/PM clocks) with a preference setting to allow an AM/PM clock for those Americans that don't understand a 24 hour clock would fix this issue.

They have mentioned a couple of times they would fix it but it is still broken in this new version.

Until they fix this TweetDeck is perhaps a nice tool for some Americans for whom their Tweets are not important, for international and business use TweetDeck is a major liability. We were already researching moving the business to a more mature client but secretly I hoped they would have solved it quickly. Apparently not and we'll have to move to a serious alternative.

Last edited:

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
And Echofon still remains the less bloated Twitter app for Mac. No heavy UI or price tag like Tweetbot, and doesn't take up the entire screen. Now that Tweetbot are slow as hell to update their app for iOS 7, I've actually bought Echofon Pro on iOS and don't really plan on switching back unless they can convince me with a great design (and NOT another app that we have to pay for).

----------

I have yet to find a client that refreshes searches automatically. I would definitely pay a little extra for that feature.

Echofon has that and it's free!

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I have multiple Twitter accounts. I constantly screw them up if I tweet from a single client, so I keep two on my Mac: Tweetdeck, and Janetter. I used to really love Tweetdeck. Not so much now. I wish I could just open multiple instances of Janetter.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
I miss Tweetdeck for iPhone. When I finally got my iPhone (dang you Verizon), it was the first app I wanted to download. It was only days later that it crashed and never came back to life.

Tweetbot has been a nice replacement, but I just loved Tweetdeck.

monchote

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
It is a shame TweetDeck's scheduling system is still horribly broken. Their clock bug which means they do not use a 12 hour clock or a 24 clock but both at the same time means that scheduled tweets can be off by 12 hours. TweetDeck is not a serious product if you risk sending Tweets for your company's new campaign out 12 hours too early or 12 hour after the event, or not at all because they are scheduled in the past.

Hey, thanks a lot for reporting this bug. We'll be fixing it asap.

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
Yes, Echofon has this feature. It updates in real-time, actually.

Sweet. I guess I have to give it another try then. I tried out a version for Linux ... ages ago. Kept messing up user profile pics. I strongly hope most of those kind of issues have been addressed.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Sweet. I guess I have to give it another try then. I tried out a version for Linux ... ages ago. Kept messing up user profile pics. I strongly hope most of those kind of issues have been addressed.

I don't know about Linux, but on the Mac it works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.